“Decent Hotel with "Northwoods" Charm”

Best Western Arrowhead Lodge & Suites
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Decent Hotel with "Northwoods" Charm”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

A colleague booked our accommodations based on TripAdvisor reviews. As a fellow hotelier, I acknowledge that I might notice details overlooked by the average guest, but that is part of my job. There are some really great aspects to this hotel experience, and also a few things that need some work (which is true of any hotel).

**Front Desk/Lobby/Check-In Experience:**
We arrived at check-in time to find one of our three reservations was missing. This was slightly concerning, but quickly remedied by a supervisor who aided the front desk agents in getting me a room, plus complimentary upgrades for our party to the Executive King room type.

I would like to encourage management to encourage the front desk staff to let guests know of hotel amenities and hours. There was no mention of breakfast (which is a complimentary hot buffet), internet access codes (also complimentary), pool hours, nor restaurant (on-site) information communicated.

My colleagues and I wandered around the camp-like lobby. We noticed an odd-looking elevator (see photo) but wasn't sure this was for guests, as it looked like a service elevator, but couldn't find the stair case, at it wasn't labeled. Eventually, we found our way to the stairwell and to our rooms.

*Rooms:
We were in an upgraded Executive King room (highly recommended). It was easily one of the largest hotel rooms I've ever stayed in and was an exceptional value for the price we paid. The living room was expansive, with a pullout sofa, wetbar with [very dated] microwave and large mini-fridge, work desk, and flat screen TV. I was a bit surprised to see there was no chair for my desk. I had to call down and a very friendly housekeeper supplied me with a chair...from the vacant room adjacent to me.

There was a large private bedroom area with an additional TV and separate door, which would be great for anyone traveling with kids. The bathroom was VERY clean (though I had no shampoo/conditioner/lotion). The toilet water was yellow, but this was clearly from rust in the pipes - not uncommon for an older hotel. I appreciated the shaving mirror, which I tend not to see in hotels of this star level.

One thing I must point out was the amount of dust in the room (see photos). The hotel is older and dust is to be expected, however it was in visible places that was almost impossible to ignore. Given this hotel is clearly a seasonal lodge, it is likely some rooms sit vacant for extended periods of times, so I was able to overlook this.

**Hallways/Fitness Center/Pool:**
The hotel is quite large, and the hallways are very wide, if not a little humid/musty smelling. While everything was clean and well maintained, there was very little signage to direct guests, even on doors leading to the lobby/stairwells. A washcloth was used to prop open the door to one wing, which is not acceptable under the best circumstances (see photo). I also noticed a ton of banquet props blockading an ice machine on the second floor, which surprised me.

The fitness center (which I used) had a nice flat screen TV and a decent amount of equipment. Treadmills, bikes, ellipticals, and a weight machine. All machines were in very good condition. The pool area looked nice, but I did not get to take advantage of it during my stay.

**Dining:**
The on-site restaurant and bar provided my group with dinner. Service was quite slow, but staff was friendly and attentive. The menu was quite diverse and the turkey burger I ordered was very good, as far as turkey burgers go. Some nice views overlooking the grounds out back, including the giant orange moose (look up the local lore) and pond.

Breakfast the next morning was sufficient. Scrambled eggs, sausage links, biscuits/gravy, cereals, danish, and some rather bland coffee. But it's complimentary. One doesn't complain about free.

Overall, I would recommend the hotel for anyone looking to stay in the heart of Wisconsin. The outdoor recreation in the area looked to be great. Despite it's age, with a little closer attention to detail in housekeeping and front desk departments, this Northwoods-themed resort hotel could easily be worthy of a five-star rating. It is older, but a great value for the money paid with a ton of amenities included.

Room Tip: Ask for the Executive King room - private bedrooms and ample square-footage.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Goodrich, North Dakota, United States
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Booked bigger than we needed found the king suit was great and had enough space to work in. Not over crowded like some rooms. Checked in late but had a very quit stay. Was off season for this location. If passing through during the off season we would stay again in a heart beat.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

Brookfield, Wisconsin
Reviewed 10 May 2014

GeoCache (midnight at the Oasis) nearby. About halfway from home to Minneapolis. Bed very comfortable. Excellent service, reasonable prices, excellent breakfast. Will stop here again. Thanks for the pleasant experience.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Shawano, United States
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Convenient, and quite. Close to Highway. Room air conditioners were a little dated. Very handy desk all though the desk chair was broke everything else made up for it. Restaurant was very good, simple,with nice salad bar.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Racine
Reviewed 9 May 2014

this was a spur of the moment stop on the way up to Minnesota. check in was painless, and the desk clerk was very pleasant and helpful.
Had dinner at the resteraunt food was good alike that lodge appeal.
the room was clean and bed was comfortable. I would stay there again

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Starbuck Mn, Austria
Reviewed 7 May 2014

The Best Western Arrowhead in Black River Falls Wisconsin is a nice over night stop. The motel is older, but clean and has a friendly staff. Pets are okay, with extra charge. We have stayed here a couple times , and will again when traveling through the area.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Baraboo, Wisconsin
Reviewed 17 April 2014

My husband and I recently stayed here for a birthday getaway...I was really impressed by the size of our room- it was a King Suite with two rooms (sitting area and bedroom) that each had their own flat screen television.

I slept better that night than I had in months. The bed was very firm (new mattress), and the HVAC unit ran really well. I actually prefer the wall mounted units because I like to have a fan running while I sleep.

The staff was friendly, and we were acknowledged every time we passed by the front desk. The corridors were *cold*, but this isn't a huge issue for me as I like to be environmentally conscious, and as I mentioned before- our in-room unit worked fine.

The room was sufficiently clean. The only issue I noticed (which is significant because I am rather picky) was some hairs in the bathroom...But they were on the floor behind the floor, and I can understand how they might have been missed.

We will definitely return...

OH- AND WE LOVED THE BREAKFAST... I really appreciated the variety that they had, and they kept it very well maintained.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank wisco-woman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Black River Falls
Comfort Inn & Suites Black River Falls
Comfort Inn & Suites Black River...
#2 of 6 in Black River Falls
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Tomah
Hampton Inn Tomah
Hampton Inn Tomah
#1 of 11 in Tomah

Been to Best Western Arrowhead Lodge & Suites? Share your experiences!