“Consistently Excellent”

North Star American Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
North Star American Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14 of 165 Restaurants in Brookfield
Price range: US$20 - US$25
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Brookfield Rd.
Brookfield, Wisconsin
“Consistently Excellent”
Reviewed 19 March 2014

North Star American Bistro has become a go-to favorite for us since moving to Brookfield almost two years ago. We have found the food to be consistently excellent and the servers friendly and knowledgeable. We have been there in a variety of configurations: as a couple, in a group of seven, and with another couple. Each visit was enjoyable.

The restaurant appears to be clean, and white tablecloths, covered with white butcher paper, dress the tables. It has a welcoming and somewhat formal feel.

We were there on a Friday for lunch, when the fish fry is on the menu. If you enjoy fish fries, do try this. The cod is lightly battered and delicate. The meal comes with delicious potato pancakes, cole slaw, and apple sauce. Other selections that I can personally recommend are the beef bourguignon with mashed potatoes, and the warm chicken and apple salad. The French onion soup is one of the restaurant’s specialties and is very good, as is the mushroom soup.

There are different items on the lunch and dinner menus, and there is something for everyone, from salads, soups, and sandwiches to dinner entrées and pizzas. Seating is available in the bar as well as in the dining room.

• Visited March 2014

Brookfield, WI
“Needs better supervision of staff”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I like North Star American Bistro in Brookfield. I live withiin walking distance. I enjoy eating in the bar area. On several occasions the bar and waitstaff are so busy talking amongst themselves that it was hard to get anyones attention. On an occasion several months ago I was waiting at the hostess desk to ask about a table and I could see her and a server in a back room that was clearly visible at the hostess desk, rough housing with each other and were clearly irritated when I interrupted them. I like the food here and it is convenient, I hope management gets their act together and pays attention to what is happening.

Visited February 2014
Chicago, Illinois
“It all adds up to perfect”
Reviewed 7 February 2014

All of the parts add up to a perfect evening; at the Shorewood location there is a dining room for families, so mom and dad can have a more enjoyable meal, the drink menu is extensive, the food is amazing, and the staff most welcoming. Everyone will love it! And they appreciated that we were there for our anniversary.

• Visited February 2014
Milwaukee
“Great food and reasonable price!”
Reviewed 7 January 2014

No complaints at all for this east side gem. Wonderful drinks, a menu ranging from burgers and pizza to unique entrees. Have eaten several times and never disappointed. Sometimes there's a wait, but well worth it!

Visited November 2013
New Berlin, Wisconsin
“Great food and good service”
Reviewed 15 December 2013

We were initially told it would be at least an hour wait for a table. Then the kind hostess asked if we wouldn’t mind sitting at a “high table” in the bar area. We agreed and were sat immediately. A very nice drink selection for both wines and beer was waiting on our table. Our drink orders were placed quickly and the drinks arrived soon after. Minor mix-up with the assignment of wines but all was good. We ordered the Charcuterie platter (mix of meat products with some cheese and relish sides). The pate’ was especially delicious, as was the pickled onions but the prosciutto was rather bland. Since my wife doesn’t like meatloaf, I usually order it when I’m out. I have no regrets about ordering it here. It was very flavorful and wrapped in bacon lying on a pile of mashed potatoes. Mmmm. It was also accompanied by roasted brussel sprouts which my wife ate since I’m not a big veggie fan. She said they were marvelous. The other entrees ordered by my wife and our 2 friends (who recommended this restaurant) were also wonderfully presented and delicious. We will probably be back.

• Visited December 2013