“Nice location, aging property, mediocre service”

Residence Inn Milwaukee Brookfield
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Brookfield
Dallas, Texas
“Nice location, aging property, mediocre service”
Reviewed 9 March 2014

I've stayed in the Residence Inn for 50+ days. I initially wrote a better review, but I've noticed the service declining and felt it significant enough to rewrite my review.

The hotel itself is in a great setting. It's surrounded by a public golf course, which gives it a very quiet setting. It's a bit difficult to find at night if you've never been there before.

The buildings are dated. The staff do their best to maintain the buildings. Everything works, Railings are painted. Sidewalks are shoveled during the snow. That all said, it's an aging facility. The rooms do get drafty, the beds a bed worn, and the rooms outdated.

The more recent item I noticed was the degradation in service. I've consistently been a Marriott gold or platinum member, and yet the staff made no differentiation with me during check-in. I even asked for a 1:00 PM checkout one day (status should allow for 3:00) and they suggested I'd need to pay a 1/2 day rate. I don't know if it's training or just this specific hotel, but I expect better treatment for their status members.

There are other hotels in this area that are much better for the same rate as this.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms on the back side of the buildings. They look out to the golf course and are quiete...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Midwest_Rob
RIBROOKFIELD, General Manager at Residence Inn Milwaukee Brookfield, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Thank you for staying at our property and being a valued Marriott Rewards member. We do highly value all our guests especially our Marriott Reward Gold and Platinum members. To address our policies regarding late check out requests, our standard check out time is 11:00am and standard check in time is 4:00pm. We do honor as many late check out requests as possible up until 1:00pm, unfortunately when we are in sellout situations like the night of your check out, we also need to accommodate the guaranteed check in time of 4:00pm. Unfortunately with that in mind and the sheer number of late check out requests we received daily from Gold and Platinum members, we would not have enough time to clean a guest room to meet the guaranteed check in time. This is similar at any and all hotels. We try our best to accommdate requests, and do offer up to two hours time at no additional charge - again, based on availability.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Kirkland, Washington
Reviewed 26 February 2014

It was suggested I stay here while in town for a Memorial Service. I was there during the Polar Vortex and it was cold outside, warm inside.

Although I did not have a car, the driveway was kept up for the cars coming in and out.
I had a big refrigerator, stove, and oven for any cooking needs I might have. The lounge area in the suite was dark so I did most of my work in the kitchen area.

The reception/breakfast area was kept well but the choices did not suit my needs-whole grain bread and fruit diversity was missing,

The little interaction with the staff was fine.

The location served those who were driving me around well.

I might stay here again.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
RIBROOKFIELD, General Manager at Residence Inn Milwaukee Brookfield, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
As it has been for much of the United States, this winter's extreme weather (especially in Wisconsin) has been challenging. I'm glad, even though you didn't have a vehicle, that our upkeep of the roads and walks was well done - our Engineering Department prides themselves in keeping our property clean and safe. I'm sorry to hear about the breakfast offerings not meeting your needs. Our wide variety in our full, hot breakfast buffet is designed to meet all needs. You mentioned whole grain and fruit options - we will check into this as the only bread option we provide is a healthy whole grain and we offer fresh apples and bananas as well as a rotational fresh cut fruit as daily options. Thank you for staying with us as well as your comments.
Plainfield, IL
Reviewed 9 January 2014

This is the week where the Polar Freeze came down and temperatures dropped to -50. I'm travelling on business & missing home. I try to stay at Marriott's to build my rewards points, so when I came across this hotel for $100'ish a night, I was happy. Marriott's are usually reliable & so I figured it would work well for the one night stay I had.

When I first saw the sign that said the office was 1/2 mile down a back road, I thought 'what did I get myself into? where is this place?' I pulled up to the office & wondered where the hotel rooms were. ...

The front desk was extremely helpful & nice. She told me about breakfast & a 'social dinner' they were having that night --- brats, burgers, etc. between 5:30 & 7:30 for FREE for any guests. (nice)

Then, I was given my room. I didn't know that these were suites with fireplace, full kitchen, bath, sitting area, kitchen table, etc. It's so nice to be in a place larger than a small hotel room.

In fact, I think i'm going to bring my family here.

Thus far, the whole experience has delighted me... even to the point where I am sitting in the room now placing a review & I almost never write reviews.

Room Tip: Ask for second floor... though there is a set of stairs, you get a nicer view than 'main level...
Green Features: They make it evident that they try to be environmentally conscious.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
RIBROOKFIELD, General Manager at Residence Inn Milwaukee Brookfield, responded to this review, 13 January 2014
We are so happy you found us "nestled" back surrounded by the Brookfield Hills Golf Course and have taken time out of your day to tell others about your experience. Having standard studio guest rooms 50% larger than a typical standard hotel room truly offers the ability to have a spacious area to work, relax and recharge. We look forward to having you back (and the rest of your family).
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 5 January 2014

I stayed at this residence inn on and off over a year. The surrounding golf courses provide a very nice setting to this hidden gem of a hotel. If you take monday-wed booking you may get very good rates. The breakfast is good, but having a kitchenette and a full sized fridge makes for a quick room breakfast. They would upgrade to a two bed two suite if you ask. The front desk staff is really nice and go out of way to help. Just 25 mins from downtown and near the mall and highway.

Room Tip: They have free wi-fi, you may have to get them to help you get setup
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
RIBROOKFIELD, General Manager at Residence Inn Milwaukee Brookfield, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Thank you for comments about our property. We are so grateful to be able to offer such a unique property surrounded by an 18-hole golf course which gives wonderful views all four seasons yet is so convenient for our guests. All the best in this new year!
Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 28 December 2013

The hotel site is beautiful. The staff is extremely helpful and accommodating. The room was spacious and comfortable. I was there during a "wintery mix" week and had no experience with that, but the staff was quite informative and so all was good. They must have worked all night to ensure that every walkway and the driveways were salted! Great place!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
RIBROOKFIELD, General Manager at Residence Inn Milwaukee Brookfield, responded to this review, 29 December 2013
We appreciate the time you took to write a review about our property. With the snowiest December in a decade, our Engineering Department and private contractors have worked very hard to keep everything safe, clear and clean and we are very much appreciate their dedication as well as your compliments about them. We hope you can stay with us again sometime soon!
Miami
Reviewed 22 December 2013

So far, this is the worse Marriott I have ever stayed in. It made me take a break from staying at a Marriott in general. When I stayed here, the smoke alarm keeps going off and by no means am I a smoker, someone came to "fix" it, but it turns out they just put the old one in. So, when the maintenance person left, 10 minutes later, it went off again. I decided to remove the alarm myself in the middle of the night. When I checked out, a few days later, there was a $250 charge for tampering with smoke detector. I even called Marriott about it and they did not even seem to care.

So, please, do not stay here!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
RIBROOKFIELD, General Manager at Residence Inn Milwaukee Brookfield, responded to this review, 27 December 2013
We again apologize for the inconvenience of the smoke detector going off in your guest room. As most can relate, smoke detectors do not go off at the most opportune of times. When they do go off without being triggered by smoke or such it is usually due to the back-up battery system going down. With hard-wired smoke detectors there is always a back-up battery system. When the back-up system has an issue, the smoke detector does go off - this is a safety and security feature of smoke detectors. Again, unfortunately, this can happen at three in the afternoon or three in the morning or anytime in between.

When you reported the smoke detector going off our staff responed, troubleshooted and restored the back-up system in the smoke detector - which is standard protocol and would be similar to replacing your home/apartment smoke detector batteries - you wouldn't throw away the detector, you replace the batteries, and make sure the detector was functioning.

You mentioned that the smoke detector later beeped again, though the dector showed no signs of any other issue and functioned properly once the back-up batteries were replaced, the beeping indicates the detector should be looked at again. Though rare, this can happen - to any type of detector whether commercial or residential. Again, this does not happen at set times but rather immediately to indicate another check. At that time a simple call to the front desk to notify them would have allowed our engineering staff to troubleshoot or simply replace with a new detector - something that inititally wasn't called for.

With our commercial smoke detector being hard-wired into the ceiling, a guest ripping down the smoke detector and not notifying the hotel of the additional problem damages hotel property but far more importantly becomes a life safety issue for you and all guests in the building and is something that, depending on local ordinances can be a crime. You were charged for the damage occured in the process of removing the smoke detector and the costs to repair and replace.

Again, through smoke detectors beeping going off can be a nuisance going off, they are designed to be just that - to alert of an issue or pending emergency.

Is is dishearting that you would describe our property as a "Ghetto" because of a smoke detector going off and write a review of such 11 months after the situation occured.
Apple Canyon, Illinois
Reviewed 11 November 2013

It was nice to come back and stay at the Residence Inn in Brookfield, it had been to long. I saw new faces, but the same warm hospitality I have come to expect when I stay here. Overall, everyone is just great.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
RIBROOKFIELD, General Manager at Residence Inn Milwaukee Brookfield, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
We love seeing our guests come back again and again. Thank you for taking the time to write a review and comment about our hotel and our associates - we will definitely share it with the team.