“Not what I was expecting”

Courtyard Milwaukee North/Brown Deer
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Brown Deer
Westerville, Ohio
“Not what I was expecting”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2014 via mobile

There are few good things to say about this hotel other than the staff is very friendly. After driving much further from the highway than I was expecting, I checked onto the hotel. The clerk was nice and even gave me a gift, recognizing my loyalty status. When I got to the room and attempted to turn the light on, I realized that this is a way different experience from my room yesterday in Chicago. The light bulb was burned out so I had to find a light that worked. I also noticed a smell that reminded me of heavy perfume. Ok, I'm not that picky and I had a good night sleep. While I was out to dinner somebody from maintenance replaced the bulb.

The next morning I went to my car and noticed the the car next to me had its window broken. It turns out that at least two cars were vandalized in the parking lot that night.

The real kicker for me was when I found a puddle on the bathroom floor. It turned out that the roof leaks and water was dripping down the bathroom fixture onto the floor. Once again the staff reacted quickly and changed my room.

All in all, good staff but lousy facilities. The rooms are outdated and need to be remodeled. They even have old school thermostats like in the house I grew up in. For the money, there are better places to stay.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Greg F, General Manager at Courtyard Milwaukee North/Brown Deer, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Dear John B,

Thank you for sending your comments. I am very sorry about the various problems that occurred during your stay and promise to make sure they are rectified. I will make sure to pass on your nice comments about our staff.

I hope you are enjoying the summer!

Greg Fugate

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

I was in the Milwaukee area recently and stayed at the Marriott Courtyard North. The hotel is very nice, very clean with a friendly and helpful staff. Good place to stay in the area. I did have one event while there, the fire alarm went of and the fire dept. came to the scene in a heavy rain!
What a mess. All was well, we continued on!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Ray F,

Thank you for contributing your comments. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and will pass on your comments to our staff.

I hope you enjoy the rest of the summer!

Asheville, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

The Marriott Brown Deer we have stayed at for about 7 months now. It was a traditional courtyard with make to order breakfast and original décor. Some say may have been "run down" a bit.
No More! The hotel has gone through a complete remodel to the new Marriott layout with the Bistro and Bar. The lobby looks amazing. the rooms are still to be updated but they were fine to begin with.
The people. What can I say? Valerie, Richard, Jill, Ashley, and Lisa at the front desk, Lynn the hostess and Charles the omelette master for breakfast, The hospitality we have received over the course of 8 months has been the best I have had in a long tome that is not a "J.W." or upper echelon of hotels. I travel all the time and it is great when you find a place that yopu feel comfortable at and consider a second home.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Erik B
Greg F, General Manager at Courtyard Milwaukee North/Brown Deer, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Dear Erik B,

Thank you so much for your very thoughtful comments. Our staff will be thrilled to read them. I know we will see you again soon. I hope you enjoy the Spring season.

Bangkok, Thailand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2014

I have never ever seen a hotel with this level of building renovation on the ground floor deciding to stay open while they do such major building work. It's a disaster. You literally have to walk around dust and sheet rock No services except a lame breakfast in a conference room Even th the rooms are bad. My reading light in the desk had the buld hanging out. The bed did not have a comforter. Had to order extra blankets. And they have the nerve to charge full price. Some senior Marriott VP needs to get on over there and see what they're doing to the brand. Monumentally bad

Room Tip: Avoid at all cost at least until the renovation is over
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Greg F, General Manager at Courtyard Milwaukee North/Brown Deer, responded to this review, 23 March 2014
Dear Michael F,

I am very sorry about the inconvenience our current renovation caused for your stay. Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel for compensation.

Victoria, Minnesota
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

Lobby is trashy. Paper on the floors, chemical smell in the air, etc. bad neighborhood. Fitness room equipment was unplugged and the treadmill was in a hallway when I went to exercise around 4pm. Not usable. Loose wallpaper hanging from the walls. Lobby looked more like a homeless shelter than a motel.

Room Tip: Stay at any other motel in the state of Wisconsin
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Greg F, General Manager at Courtyard Milwaukee North/Brown Deer, responded to this review, 12 March 2014
Dear Midnightdiner,

I am sorry about the poor experience you encourntered at our hotel. Our lobby's appearnce is due to the current remodel we are undergoing. When complete, we will have the Bistro restaurant and bar, a new fitness center, meeting room, and completely refurbished lobby. I feel badly about the current inconvenience. Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel as I would like to offer you compensation.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

I booked this hotel for a 1night stay which I got as reward. I did not have much of an expectation as well. I checked in late and received a very warm reception by a courteous staff, at that point I decided to put 5 stars for the hotel. The hotel as such was good. Neat rooms, nice lobby etc. We had breakfast next morning at hotel. I was a little disappointed by the price and the breakfast options. Moreover you have to pay even for kids. I decided to eat there itself as it was cold outside and was not in any mood to step outside. When my kids did not eat much and even me and my wife ate just enough, the price really seemed unjustifiable. But then the staff paid attention and she charged only for two adult breakfast. When I asked she said, you guys barely ate for two. I won't charge for four. I was pleasantly surprised. I will definitely stay here if I am again in milwaukee area.

• Stayed January 2014
Greg F, General Manager at Courtyard Milwaukee North/Brown Deer, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear Pgsdeepak,

Thank you for contributing your comments. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and I will make sure to pass on your nice comments to our staff. Thank you so much!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this Courtyard on a drive to Green Bay. It was 3 miles off the expressway (43), but it only took 5 minutes of city driving to reach it. It was actually very nice. The hotel was busy that night, but we never heard a sound in the halls or other rooms. We enjoyed a good, hot breakfast the following morning. Beds were also very comfortable.

I would recommend this hotel.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Greg F, General Manager at Courtyard Milwaukee North/Brown Deer, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Dear Augie1966,

Thank you for submitting a review of our hotel. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and will make sure to share your comments with our staff. We hope to see you again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Brown Deer
Manchester East
Manchester East
#4 of 6 in Glendale
Hilton Garden Inn Milwaukee Park Place

Been to Courtyard Milwaukee North/Brown Deer? Share your experiences!