“A nice place to visit”

Description: Also vortex center and mini museum
Burlington, Wisconsin
“A nice place to visit”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

I love going to the Sci-fi Cafe, the people there are fun and very open minded. No on e judges you and you can listen to and share all of the stories of the supernatural. I absolutely love the navaho tacos and the chili they make. Cant wait to go have some more.

• Visited August 2013

Mabank, Texas
“Good and Bad equals out”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013

I hesitate to call the SCI-FI Café average, as it is definitely unique. We were driving around the downtown Burlington area looking for a restaurant for Sunday breakfast; I saw the sign that said "SCI-FI Café" and told my husband "I have to eat there!"
The clerk asked us immediately upon entry, whether we were here to eat or shop. We said "we're hungry" then proceeded to look around. The shop was a dusty, kinda dark, eclectic collection of sci-fi memorabilia, books, maps, cards, movies, action figures, jewelry, etc. There were large stuffed aliens you could sit next to and have your picture taken. I love that the walls were covered in guest graffiti. We were shown the sharpies and invited to add to the decorations. There was a map of the local area with all the UFO sightings, abductions, haunted areas marked with dates of occurences. Apparently Burlington is the UFO sighting capital of Wisconsin.
The store was very interesting, but due to the dusty, dingy look of things, we were reconsidering our choice to eat here. The older gentleman clerk was waiting with menus and since we were the only customers so early and because we hated to hurt his feelings, we ordered. I ordered breakfast nachos because I like to order something different or unusual if I can. My husband ordered pancakes and bacon. The little man shuffled to the back behind the bar to cook for us. He was very friendly and everything was good; I just tried not to think about what the kitchen might look like. I would not eat there again, but would like to return to look at the maps and books more. Beware, the postcards are $3.00 each. I did not know that and grabbed 3 of them to buy, one for my scrapbook and two to send. Good and bad; it was an adventure.

Visited May 2013
3 Thank Carol G
Elkhorn
“Sci-fi cafe”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2012

Kind of fun and quirky place. The coffee was very good. The food was ok. The resturant area felt a little crowded even though we were the only ones there. Fun place to visit if you are into sci-fi stuff.

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank Isabel H
Deerfield, Wisconsin
“Amusing Place :)”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

We made a day trip out towards Burlington, WI and stopped in at the Sci-Fi Cafe & Museum. The building is old, kinda run down, but is packed to the gills with interesting things to look at. The museum section was odd, nothing too great, but interesting all the same. I advise entering the building with an open mind and a great sense of humor :) The cafe part was kind of cluttered, we didn't eat anything, but did notice they sold a few menu items. My kids each bought some candy and I got a bumper sticker, reasonably priced items. Many opportunities for photos, my kids loved the big alien, I attached a photo to this review. The owner's husband was working that day, he was very friendly and shared some history of the buliding and town with us, and then gave us a tour of the cellar. The cellar was kind of a creepy basement and dumpy. It was okay, we took some pictures down there, none of them turned out blurry due to the vortex as they had reported.....oh well. I did snap a photo in the cellar what was facing a hole in a brick wall and when I loaded it up at home it really did look like some eyes were looking out the hole at me, kinda creepy :) All in all it was a fun way to spend an hour or so. Just have an open mind and sense of humor and adventure and you will like it just fine! Check it out.

Visited June 2011
2 Thank Miranda77
Chicago, Illinois
“Aliens, Ragdolls, and Trolls...oh my!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

Sounds like a brilliant concept: cafe with a sci-fi theme connected to a mini-museum. Well, the cafe is little and delightfully filled with all things alien...from alien dolls and UFO toys to ghost books and some mystical fairies, jewelry and incense spread around. The owners were very nice, especially Mary who later took a picture of my daughter and me with a huge alien doll sitting on a chair between the two of us. Mary informed us that Burlington, WI is much like Sedona, Arizona in terms of spirituality and vortexes surrounding that area. According to Mary, the cafe is also in the middle of a spiritual vortex as any picture we took in the cafe itself was blurry. Hmmmm. The menu at the cafe is rather sparse, with offerings of basic hot dogs and hamburgers and some breakfast items. We tried the omelettes. They were just okay. The owner cooked the food herself, served it, and told us a bit of the history of Burlington and the Sci-Fi cafe. The Sci-Fi cafe also offers vortex spiritual tours and tarot readings, which we did not partake in. The attached "museum" on the other side of the cafe was a bit of a disappointment since it was more of a nostalgia filled room...comic books, a table full of old Raggedy Ann/.Andy dolls, some vortex/UFO tapes, and troll dolls...lots of them! One can spend a good half day in either that room or the cafe just using the free Wi-Fi. It's worth a trip if you're in Burlington (or on your way to Milwaukee, as we were) and I'm sure the locals enjoy having a unique place to hang out. Also, the women's bathroom is filled with spiritual objects and affirmations abound on every door and wall. All in all, I do recommend this place, not for the food but for the uniqueness and fun.

• Visited March 2012