“Fantastic”

Rookery Pub Fine Dining
Reserve with OpenTable
Rookery Pub Fine Dining is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 15 Restaurants in Cable
Price range: US$15 - US$45
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Healthy
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Six-Time Winner & Member of TripAdvisor's Certificate of Excellence Hall of Fame, Rookery Pub Fine Dining offers the most flavorful and creative cuisine in the Wisconsin Northwoods. The Rookery's ever-changing menu features weekly fresh fish specials, beef & bison steak, specialty salads, housemade soups, and other creative dishes incorporating fresh seasonal ingredients from local producers. Including some of the best vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free options you'll find anywhere. Our full bar offers a great selection of regional microbrews, premium liquor, and more than three dozen fine wines. We believe you'll find our cuisine to be second to none in the Cable/Hayward vicinity. In addition to being the only restaurant in the area named to TripAdvisor's Hall of Fame we're also the only one that is AAA Three Diamond Approved. Actually many of our guests from much larger communities with dozens of great restaurants tell us we're their favorite anywhere. But it's not just exceptional food that has earned the Rookery a reputation as one of the most distinctive restaurants in northern Wisconsin. The stunning oversized nature photography prints on canvas that grace the walls of the restaurant lend a unique aura of beauty and serenity to your dining experience. And after a delectable meal why worry about driving somewhere else to spend the night? Instead feel free to polish off that wonderful bottle of wine or enjoy an after dinner libation. Knowing you can simply walk upstairs to spend the night in one of the finest guest rooms in the area. The Rookery and Cable Nature Lodge are located just seven miles east of Cable, on County Hwy M in the heart of the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest.
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Thank goodness we spend a lot of time in the Hayward and Cable, WI area in the summer time. I say that because we love to dine out and there is no place we would rather go than the Rookery! Our anniversary dinner there a few weeks ago was as wonderful as ever. We started out with an appetizer, stuffed jalapeno peppers - absolutely delicious, but beware, these are hot! Still... we will order them again. My husband's Cajun Ribeye was sheer perfection and my Greek Scampi pasta dish was one of the best seafood dishes I have ever had. The owner and staff are all so warm and friendly and the atmosphere is so intimate, warm and romantic.

There are newer reviews for Rookery Pub Fine Dining

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Being a long time summer resident of the Chequamegon Forest , the Rookery is always considered a splurge, with gourmet food offerings from appetizers through the entrees. All that we ordered was well prepared and exquisite. Unfortunately each time we have visited the Rookery, something is off and this last visit it was the service, which unfortunately brought our overall rating down to average. We were told they were understaffed in the kitchen, our wait for food was too long, and we never did get our ordered appetizer. Our wait person was very cordial, but seemed inexperienced. She did apologize for the appetizer mixup and treated us to a dessert. The Rookery's pleasant atmosphere is a gallery of wildlife photography and art, and you can always count on unique, quality menu choices. We most certainly will return.

7  Thank 36,685
Reviewed 4 August 2014

The food that I had here was as good, if not better than anything I've had in the finest restaurants in Mpls/St.Paul. That's saying something!

Reviewed 26 July 2014

First off let me say I find it really disappointing that some of the reviews below try to tarnish what I consider one of the best restaurants I have ever eaten at. And I travel all over and have eaten at the best places in Vegas and other large cities. Why do people that don't understand fine dining and are more "supper club" people even go to great places like the Rookery? It is really sad to see this. And while the owner tries to make that point I think the replies are just a little bit too abrasive.

Now on to my review. We spent a week on Lake Namakagon last week and waited until out last day to eat at the Rookery. What a treat that was! We made a reservation and could only get a booth as the tables were all taken. That was fine with us. The place has very nice decor and is well kept and I only wish it was on the water..that would make it even better. We were greeted by a dog in the bar section when we walked in and while I don't think animals should be in the establishment, it was not allowed in the dining room. So no big deal. The booths are very nice but tight if you are a larger person. There is all sorts of nice artwork around the restaurant and you can order and buy nature prints if you desire. The main dining room is small but very quaint and had great ambiance. Ordered some nice craft beers to start and kids got the fancy root beers. We did not order appetizers as we had late lunch but the selection looked awesome. I ordered the pheasant dinner as I like to get more unusual items and was just blown away how good this was. And get this, only $26! It was sliced breast of pheasant with apple mustard sauce over a pear and red wine risotto that was spectacular. I would go as far as sayng this was the best poultry dish I have ever eaten. They rendered the skin on the bird so nice and sliced it perfectly. Can't say enough how good this was. That salad before it was also something you will never get anywhere else the way they make it. The fresh and unusal microgreens I am sure I have not eaten any of these types before and I just loved every bite with the Kalamata olives, tomatoes & DragSmith Farms fresh vegetables with a caramelized shallot vinaigrette. My other party had the smoked trout salad, Parmesan chicken pasta both fantastic. The 2 younger kids the Rookery was kind enough to allow them to make their own kind of plate and so they both had grilled chicken and Spätzle. The chicken was perfect but unfortunately they do not know how to make Spätzle properly as it should be a pasta like texture and slightly browned. The kids got more like a deep fried dish more like a french fry. They still ate it all but they knew it was not right. We finished with a peanut butter and chocolate pie and the chefs creation of the day was a beautiful plum cake. The pie was just OK but the plum cake was out of this world good. I will never find anything like this again I am sure. Service overall was a bit slow. I think we had someone new as she had an accent and some of the other servers had to help her. But, it was still fine and paced pretty well the entire dinner. Overall, I would say I enjoyed eating at the Rookery as one of the best places I have ever eaten and I can be very critical! We ate at the Garmisch down the road 5 days earlier and that place is a shell of the Rookery. I can't wait to come up North again and dine at the Rookery. This is a must go place to eat in an unlikely location. Huge thumbs up!

Reviewed 17 July 2014

This little place does not have a view of the lake, but is definitely worth an evening. We ate in the formal dining room. We loved looking at the beautiful nature photos that covered the walls. The menu was creative & all the food we tried was definitely delicious! The service wasn't as smooth as it should be at a Fine Dining place, but our waitress was very sweet & I think the service will get smoother. They also have a nice bar area & we noticed that they were doing some landscaping & building an outdoor space with room for live entertainment. We will make sure we check that out next time we are in the area. It looked like fun!