“Great Getaway!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Cable
Garmisch USA Resort
Peoria, Illinois
“Great Getaway!”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

My husband & I just got back from a 4 night stay at the Garmisch Inn. I think "welcoming" is a perfect description of it. Our room was clean, spacious & charming. All the staff were very friendly & helpful. The view of the lake was beautiful! The whole place had a comfortable, laid-back, sit & relax sort of atmosphere. It was just what we were looking for! We stayed in the lodge, but the many cabins on the property looked wonderful too & were being enjoyed by lots of families. We would definitely visit again, just the two of us or with family and friends!

Room Tip: Visit the website to choose the room best for you. Our room was just as advertised :-)
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Wisconsin
Reviewed 16 May 2014

We journeyed to Garmisch in Cable, Wisconsin the day after Thanksgiving for a one night getaway. While everyone else was out shopping on Black Friday, we were traveling over the river and through the woods, as the song goes. If you are in the mood for the holiday season to begin and want to step back in time to an old-fashioned Christmas, Garmish is the place to be.

Picture a large, great room with big windows and a view of the lake, knotty pine walls, a soaring ceiling, and carved-wood bannisters decorated with garland and lights. Then picture yourself curled up in an old rocking chair beside a roaring fire in the massive stone fireplace in the alcove, or sprawled on one of the big brown leather couches beneath a towering 20 foot Christmas tree, or sitting halfway up the stairs with a drink in your hand, or leaning over the second floor railing to get a birds-eye view of the party below. This was the gathering we experienced for Garmisch's annual lighting of the Christmas tree.

The real charm was that it all seemed to occur somewhat spontaneously and haphazardly, kind of like an experience at grandma's house or your own home. There was no agenda. Things just happened. People wandered in and out, they sang carols, they danced to the music where they could find space. Which brings up the music. Imagine your "Uncle Frank" getting out his electronic keyboard he bought in 1986, popping in a floppy disc with a rhythm background, and singing Christmas carols…only sometimes he'd forget the lyrics, so he might make them up, or just hum until he remembered the words. This was our evening, and no one seemed to mind. Even with the lighting of the big tree there was no official countdown; someone just plugged the socket into the wall and the tree lit up in the middle of a song. All part of the informal charm of Garmisch. Everyone was relaxed and having a good time, it was warm and cozy, and I haven't felt that "in the moment" in a long, long time. It was truly a magical evening. We'll be back.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Forest Lake, Minnesota
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Gorgeous views. Nice staff. Very comfortable room. The view from #7 was incredible. Our friends stayed here and we knew it was nice but it was nicer than our expectations. The landscape of Cable area is beautiful. The continental breakfast was not good. Cereal, yogurt, a packaged frozen roll, coffee and orange juice. That was it.
The one draw back was the bierstube. I was looking for a great German brew on tap however there weren't any. I thought that was odd after calling it a bierstube. We ordered food from the bar because the restaurant was closed do to the off season. The honey chicken I had was fried so long it came out like jerky. My wife did enjoy her walleye though.
I would go for the stay at the inn but not for the food. Drive into Cable to eat.

Room Tip: #7 views were wonderful.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jim D
Wisconsin
Reviewed 21 April 2014

This is a VERY welcoming resort. The staff is wonderful! They go out of their way to assist your every need. At this time of year the menu is just a bit limited, but an excellent selection. This is a great location for those who enjoy winter sports and summer fun. The grounds and views of the lake and sunset are stunning. Take some special time for you and relax by the huge fireplace in the center of the lodge! Just soak up the ambience. You will leave, longing to return.

Room Tip: Room 6 and 7 have amazing views of the lake and sunset!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank WisconsinGus
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Great location for riding the trails and the lakes. Very good restaurant and bar on premises. All the employees were extra nice and very helpful. The only con I would have is that we stayed at Zug's and the walls are paper thin. When our neighbors came home at 2AM and stayed up drinking till 4 it was a sleepless part of the night.

Room Tip: Expect noise from neighbors if staying in the 4 room Zug's.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Franklin, Wisconsin
Reviewed 24 February 2014

My husband and I stayed here this past weekend b/c he does a ski marathon from cable-hayward. We stayed in the bean cabin. It was very cozy, and the staff was very friendly. The best thing about this resort is the meals, which are included. If you can wait until after 10am on Saturday (or 11am the other days) I would recommend going for the later breakfast when you can order right off the menu. The breakfast buffet was only so-so, but the dinner and the later breakfast were both fabulous! My other recommendation would be to bring your own toiletries, the ones they give are not that great, and there was no conditioner in our bathroom. I always bring my own anyway, but if I didn't I would be disappointed by the ones that were offered. Oh, and next time I will bring my own hairdryer. There was not one in the cabin, and in retrospect, I should have realized this (my fault) b/c our cabin had 3 bathrooms and theres no way they could supply hairdryers in every bathroom!

I did request a king size bed next time, the queen size bed in the bean cabin was too small for us, but we were lucky to get a reservation because someone cancelled at the last minute, so I cannot complain too much about that!

The issues listed above were only minor issues, nothing that soured my opinion of the resort and were only intended to prepare those reading my review. I would recommend the resort, already booked for next year and would love to see what its like in the summer!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mel131
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 21 August 2013

We love the Cable area for it's primitive perks: mountain bike trails, fishing, and beautiful forests/lakes. We stayed the week of Aug 14-16 in room 6, a lodge room. It had Gorgeous views of the lake and the grounds were clean and well maintained. My son and I played several games of chess in the lodge as it is truly a unique place to hang out with old world, up north, German charm. The staff is very courteous and helpful and the owner even gave my four year a whole roll of quarters while hanging out in the bar. Needless to say, this made his trip. The food in the restaurant was good but not outstanding.

Room Tip: Lodge rooms away from the patio are likely quieter but I wouldn't worry about it on a weekday.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Wowitsreallyhardtoge
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cable
Comfort Suites
#3 of 14 in Hayward
Northern Pine Inn
Northern Pine Inn
#13 of 14 in Hayward

Been to Garmisch USA Resort? Share your experiences!