“Great start, bad finish”
Review of Telemark Resort

Telemark Resort
Madison, Wisconsin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Great start, bad finish”
Reviewed 27 February 2012

My family and I have attended the Birkebeiner for the last three years and I have to say, this year was our most enjoyable experience. Compared to the last times we were here, the hotel was almost unrecognizable. As a person that once managed a hotel and restaurant, I can say that there is still a great deal that needs to be done, but the renovations that took place from last year to this year were indeed impressive. Having said that, Saturday was an incredible disappointment. We arrived at the restaurant at 6:00 and sat down at the only table that was open. We were acknowleged right away and soon thereafter given menus and beverages. We were located at a table that faced the bar and it was obvious to me that the staff was working very hard in order to accomodate everyone. We were told by our server that there would be a wait, which we certainly understood given the circumstances. The staff was working very hard and very well together. Then something strange happened that, in my twenty five plus years in the business, I've never seen before. A man in a blue, button-up shirt came behind the bar and asked two women that were seated there to help him. From that point on it was a complete disaster. It was readily apparent to me that, even though the bartenders and waitresses were very busy, they were not confused. After this man and his help attempted to assist, it made a busy stituation into a chaotic one. I could see that four, sometimes five people were gathered around the register, that no one knew what food went where, that the waitresses were all of a sudden thrown off their rhythm, that where before there was simply a group of people doing their best to do their jobs, there was now complete and utter confusion. I saw a man circling the dining room with a tray of food trying desperately to find its table. It was sad, in a way, to see a place doing so well all of a sudden losing its way. I have been in this business for a long time and understand what happens when things get busy--what I don't understand is why someone would come along and, with all due respect, just get in the way. When my family sat down for dinner we were very happy, not only to see the restaurant thriving, but also, at least for me personally, to see the organization and competence of its staff. That all changed and so did my evaluation. I'm not sure who this man was, but if he is an Executive/Board Member, he should be ashamed of himself to make a great staff look so badly due to his actions. After our dinner I went to the front desk in order to speak to the owner, but was told he was busy. I hope he reads this and takes it seriously. This resort has an incredible amount of potential; sometimes, however, that potential can only be realized by allowing the staff to do their job--in other words, for the resort's benefit, let them do it.

Visited February 2012
4 Thank Jane D

Wisconsin
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Love this place”
Reviewed 15 February 2012

Haven't stayed here in a whle, but I enjoy the atmosphere during the birkie. I love the big fireplace and the little shops. We also enjoy skiing around Telemark. It's an important part of the Birkie tradition.

Visited February 2012
1 Thank topazbeagle
Renton, Washington
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 147 helpful votes
“Our favorite resort!!”
Reviewed 26 November 2011

We own at Telemark and LOVE it. My husband has always talked about fishing in the north and so I got here for him . We own at the Apple Pointe property which is 10 miles from the main lodge with 4 HUGE units, right on the lake, and so we stayed there one week the first year we visited: we loved it. Then, we stayed one week in the villas, the regular timeshares on site, as an RCI bonus vacation, and we also stayed in the lodge rooms. So we had the whole experience there! Since that first year, we have gone every year and it is our very favorite resort! We have stayed as long as 6 weeks in the condos, and we’ve been in both 1 Bd and 2 Bd units and lodge units. We stayed two times this year, July and in October.
There are a lot of activities available as well as the cross-country skiing in winter, and hiking, fishing and swimming in the summer. We like an indoor pool when it’s cool and it has a nice one!
The nearby town, Cable, has a population of 200 except during the International Cross-Country Ski Race when it swells to 20,000. The nearest big town is Hayward of about 2,000 and we think it’s big. The Cable library there is great – free to Telemark guests! - , the bookstore (Redbery)is my favorite and it has a very nice natural history museum. The friendliness of the people really make a difference at a place, and Telemark and Cable are superb.

Visited October 2011
1 Thank RonandJoan
Wisconsin
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Good Experience and expect Great things....”
Reviewed 14 September 2011

A family wedding in the area brought us to Telemark Resort as I needed 3 rooms ( 8 people ) and the price was unreal for a Labor day weekend. Myself and many of the other relatives who stayed at the resort were actually suprised at what we found, not because of what they lacked but the actual history behind the resort and what the New Owner would like to see.

So here we go.........................

Rooms: Most guest rooms are very outdated and require new bedding and an update of the furniture. We later learned from the owner that these rooms were assembled much like todays cruise ships with all of the rooms built in pods and attached at he site, not bad for 1973 when it was built. Everything still needs the update but they are working on it.

Lobby: Very nice and reminds you of a very large ski lodge type and you can picture the people during the winter. ( Note: This is the home of the Birkebeiner Cross Country Ski Race ).

Pool Area: Indoor pool and hot tub were ok. the hot tub the first night was luke warm and the second was to hot. The second night was the night we were able to meet the new owner and he explained the history of the resort and his oulook for the future. The oudoor pool was closed for maintenance.

Grounds: Nice except for the guest parking lot, that really needs improvement.

Bar / Restaurant: We visited both days we were there for either drinks or food. Bar is well stocked, great selection and very generous on the pours. Food was good not great but worth the money that was spent ( except for chicken finger appetizer ).

What's available: Mountain Biking, ATV Trails, Hiking / Running Trails, Golf Course next door, Handicap X Country training equipment ( I was impressed by that ), also trails for the summer time training.

What to do: Plenty, we are talking about Nothern Wisconsin with fishing, boating, golf antiques, small shops and best of all the Great Outdoors. We enjoyed our visit to the Norwegian Style Antique store just as you turn onto Telemark Road.

Would I go again / recommend : Yes and I am looking forward to the upgrades that are planned at the Telemark Resort.

Please feel free to ask any questions.

Visited September 2011