“Great little place!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cameron
Vernon Hills, Illinois
“Great little place!”
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I booked a room here based on the positive review on tripadvisor. I was not disappointed! The room we were given was exceptionally clean and had been recently redone with new carpet and furniture. The double bed was comfy and the recliner was awesome. We were not there to hole-up and veg in front of the tube, but it would have been nice to have a larger screen size and even better yet to have a flat screen...but that doesn't dampen my review. The staff were great bringing us a cot for the granddaughter to sleep on and extra towels. I would definitly book here again as well as recommend it to others.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank talor919

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Buffalo City
Reviewed 17 August 2014

When first arrival, room looked clean. Pulled sheets back, found 3 black hairs between sheets. Would not sleep in that. 2nd bed, found what looked like blood smear on underside of bedspread. Gross. Towels were stained. Looked like maybe coffee stains. Furniture looked nice. Coffee pot provided, but no coffee. Shampoo and conditioner provided, but no soap. No hair dryer. No phone.alarm clock was unplugged....good thing I brought one. Owners would not answer phone and would not come to the door.I left message, they never came to the room to make things right. Do yourself a favor...pay $130 to stay somewhere else...wish I would have ! I could hear guy next door snoring.

Room Tip: Read ALL reviews....believe the bad ones !
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Travis T, Owner at Black Bear Motel, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your stay. We have just put brand new sheets & towels in the rooms as you could see, since this property is a small independent motel we do not have 24 hour front desk as it states when you booked the room. Our normal office hours are 8am to 10pm, I am sure there was no blood on the comforter. Comforters at all of my properties get washed on a regular basis. As far as hair, I know are washer machines do miss hair, as well as we miss hair every now and then as it is hard to see/remove at times. I invite you to come back the next time you are in the Cameron are as I can guarantee you that you will have a much better experience.

Travellers are raving about these Cameron hotels

Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

The room was clean, and had a comfortable bed. The staff was friendly and helpful. This was our second visit and we would definately stay again. It's a nice quiet place to stay. A liitle pricey for a 2-bed room, but not outrageous.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lisa R
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Sara went above and beyond helping us secure a room for a family get together. They were fully booked when I called and I asked if I could please leave my phone number just in case a room became available. When they had a cancelation Sara called me and put us at ease. It was nice to know that she had not only kept my number but called me right away. It was so nice to experience her good old fashion sense of common courtesy and excellent customer service! Thank you Sara!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 728bella
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Cute little motel. The owners are on site, (im pretty sure they live on site) The rooms are exactly as described. My fiancee and i got a double queen room. appliances are up-to-date. The bathroom is really cute. The rooms are clean an fit the whole "northern" like theme. Flat screen tv, wifi, what more could you need? Oh yeah! They have candy bars and snacks in the office to buy which is nice of them to provide those as well. lol.

Only one thing I need to note ; We got room #3 and the walls are kind of thin, either or the people who were in room #4 were very loud. but you could practically hear whole conversations if the room was quiet enough.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Minnesota City, Minnesota
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Room wasn't ready when we got there, and the service was extremely horrible and rude. Room wasn't very clean, faucet leaked, and was out dated. I would rather save my money and sleep in the car than go back there

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank chop3584
Travis T, Owner at Black Bear Motel, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
I am sorry you had a bad experience. We have recently renovated the property, and have replaced virtually everything in the rooms. We don't claim to be a fancy top notch hotel, as to why our prices are the lowest around. I invite you to come back to the property as we have renovated and check out all the improvements, such as new carpet, beds, sheets, dressers, night stands, light fixtures & all furniture's.
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I rented the room i had for 8 das while i was in the area on business. My wife scheduled the room for the two of us. One day i have a knock on the door saying our room is horrible and we had to clean it to which i did cause i did have some clothes on the floor. Then they told me i had an unallowed guest as my wife was never marked as staying there. The next day the owner said we were smoking and creating a fire hazard. First off we dont smoke ever and second this fire hazard was my personal tv and an xbox 360. Not hazards at all. Then he claimed my wife was homeless and we were filthy and not up to their standards. I would have loved to leave early and request my money back but with these shady owners i doubt i would see it.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank dcarlson29
Travis T, Owner at Black Bear Motel, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
I wish we could of had a better ending here, but lack of respect toward myself, staff & property I had no choice but to ask you to leave! The room was atrocious! We are a motel, not an apartment. We tried many times to reason with you to try get the room where we could at least walk in the room or even open the door all the way.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cameron
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Rice Lake
Curriers Lakeview Lodge
Curriers Lakeview Lodge
#3 of 8 in Rice Lake
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Rice Lake

Been to Black Bear Motel? Share your experiences!