“Quiet and Peaceful Getaway” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ages Past Country House Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Cashton B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Waukesha, Wisconsin
“Quiet and Peaceful Getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2011

We stayed at Ages Past as part of a business and short pleasure trip. We were the only ones staying at the B&B on a week night, although the weekend was already booked. The property is extremely clean and perfectly maintained. The innkeeper is very detail oriented and each room is nicely decorated and apppointed. Not all of the rooms have ensuite bathrooms, but they are very close and very nice. The property is on the edge of a very small country town and is very quiet and peaceful. It is a great area to visit the Amish countryside and shop for Amish goods or visit wineries. Breakfast was hearty and tasty. There is, however, a shortage of upscale restaurants in the area, but several local establishments are good. Definitely the best place to stay in the area.

Room Tip: Rooms on every level are great. Don't be afraid to book a room with a detached bath.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
      Cleanliness
3 Thank JLR410

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2004

Being from Alabama, I never expected to encounter such a fine example of “Southern hospitality’ in Cashton, WI…but Barb, Carl and their excellent staff at Ages Past really outdid themselves. After reading the rave reviews and “thank-you’s” that other visitors had written in the guest books (kept in each room) I can assure you that 100% of them had nothing but compliments to the owners and staff.

I travel quite a bit on business and was not particularly looking forward to going to this tiny town of Cashton, WI. A lack of options brought me to book a room at Ages Past, and I’m glad for this. Most hotels in this price range have bland décor, uncomfortable beds, and a lame continental breakfast. This is certainly not the case at Ages Past. There is a tremendous attention to detail. The house is decorated in a colonial, Victorian style…and while it is a little overdone in terms of too much furniture and wall/ceiling decorations…I personally found it to remind me of my grandmother’s house, so it was sort of charming. The guest rooms each had their own bath…some of which are attached and some are across the hall. The beds are big and very comfortable, and have wonderful, high-thread count cotton sheets, which you just don’t find in hotels. The water was hot, the towels were fabulously plush and my two co-workers and I even commented on how much we enjoyed the fancy soap. The rooms were very clean and apparently the décor in the house and guest rooms changes for each season. Be aware that there is one room at the top of the stairs (decorated with teddy bears) that does not appear to be as big as the other rooms.

The best part however is the food. Barb, the owner, is a fantastic cook. I’m used to being offered stale muffins and Fruit Loops with a plastic spoon at many hotels. Barb however made us chicken quiche, bananas-foster French toast, and cranberry pancakes the three mornings we were there. Each dish was delicious. The owners also operate a tiny, upscale restaurant on the ground floor which serves lunch and dinner several days a week. We ate dinner here one night and it was great. You must save room for the bread pudding…trust me.

Fortunately, I happened to pass through Cashton in mid October. The countryside surrounding Cashton is much prettier than I expected. There are farm houses and barns/silos every half mile or so. There are rolling hills and deep valleys filled with spectacular fall colors in mid October. I enjoyed just driving down the rural highways and taking in the unexpectedly enjoyable scenery. The people I met in Cashton were very friendly and everyone waves as you pass them on the road. There are also plenty of Amish folks going up and down the streets in their horse & buggies so watch out for them. The Amish in the area also sell handmade furniture, quilts, delicious candy, etc. from their homes. I wish I had time to check that scene out, but since I was on a business trip I did not.

I really liked the Ages Past B&B. Keep in mind that it is a house, so the rooms are close to each other and you can hear people moving around at night if you are a light sleeper. Of course, I slept so well in my big bed that I didn’t stir all night. Anyway, if you like to meet other travelers and enjoy being social I am sure you will love Ages Past. I hope this helps.

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cashton
No photo provided
#1 of 5 in Sparta
Westby House Inn
Westby House Inn
#1 of 1 in Westby

Been to Ages Past Country House Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!