“Lots of food but did not live up to expectations”
Review of Kalua Hawaiian BBQ & Seafood - CLOSED

Kalua Hawaiian BBQ & Seafood
Cuisines: Hawaiian
Reviewed 23 September 2013

The restaurant is just ok- we had shared a number of appetizer courses and the barbequed spare ribs were a bit tough therefore making them the least favorite item we sampled. The atmosphere though was friendly and the service was very good, making up somewhat for the food just being so so.

Reviewed 26 July 2013

Left hungry for more (food) because we were served inedible food. The beer was cold... it's the only thing that I finished. Our server was friendly and we pity tipped him nicely due to the fact that we were the only customers in the entire restaurant for the dinner rush. The ambiance included a cramped bar-ish dinning room with plastic palms, dollar store accents, and a very out of place, awkward, Easter Island head sitting in the corner. The menu was small and it reassured me that any cook could handle the challenge. The soup of the day was some kind of vegetable noodle, the noodles were so over cooked that they basically fell apart and was terribly under seasoned. The food was downright horrible. I ordered the ribs and it was straight up jerky, tasted like they had been on a hot well for the entire week, repeatedly getting reheated. Absolutely zero char flavor for being ribs at a Hawaiian BBQ themed joint. My ribs came garnished with red pepper rings with seeds still intact (super rookie mistake). The mac salad that accompanied the entrees tasted like generic mayo and vinegar and lacked seasoning. The other entree that was ordered was the Volcano Beef, which tasted of beef that was on the verge of going bad, the brown sauce was generic and over salted.

I am a seasoned chef, food is a very large part of my life, it's a passion. I also love crap food like frozen pizzas and hamburger helper. This restaurant is a showroom for the microwave, a truly horrible experience.

We stopped at a euro joint on our way home.

A shame to the world of restaurants and to all chefs.

2  Thank crosstimothy
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Didn't care for the food, was too fatty. I will not eat here again. We ate in the reasturant. It is walking distanc from hotel.

Reviewed 23 April 2013

For my father's birthday, we wanted to take him somewhere special for dinner. Somewhere we could have a great time with good food, a warm, inviting atmosphere and reasonable prices.
This was not this place.
From the moment we walked in, we were treated to a dusty floral arrangement below a rave review from Milwaukee's totally trustworthy news source, the Journal Sentinel. There was shockingly loud canned in music, a side closet filled with homeless booster seats and tray rests and as soon as we turned the corner into the main dining room, the empty buffet station was waiting for us in the center of the room.
The theme of this restaurant seemed to be a dirty tiki chic, and they take to the faux-Hawaiian decor like someone whose only Hawaiian experience was a bleary, drunken viewing of Joe VS the Volcano ten years ago.
Once seated, our very nice waitress (No really, she was super nice) handed out menus and asked for drinks. Waters all around and I ordered a coke.
There was an open flame on the table, as on all of the tables, but it was lit on a tall glass jar and it's only purpose in the dismal dining room seemed to be a potential fire hazard to anyone with loose clothing, long hair or large squares of paper... like a menu.
The prices seemed steep, but it was a special occasion, so we were wiling to overlook it. My father ordered the pupu platter for our appetizer and oddly enough, this too arrived on fire. It came in a wooden lazy Susan with a flaming center that nearly lit the waitress' sweater on fire.
The food, although not exactly piping hot, was not terrible. The crab cakes were tasty and the coconut shrimp was good, but the teriyaki ribs were fatty and cold.
The waitress returned to clear the flaming danger Susan and brought up the soup that came with our entrees.
It resembled chicken soup out of a can, but was deep green and had large dried carrot coins lurking at the bottom like leeches. It was spicy in an unoffensive way but had no other flavor.
The mostly uneaten soup was removed and replaced by our entrees.
I urged my gluten-free Mother to order the Angry Spicy Tiki Tofu because the name made me laugh. My father ordered a combo plate of barbecued ribs and shrimp. My fiance ordered the tilapia and I, being the cautious gourmet I am, ordered the teriyaki burger.
It is an odd sensation seeing food that is obviously the preview of the diarrhea you'll be having later.
Hello Burger, welcome to a night of sweating, running to the bathroom and cursing whoever thought it would be fun to try the new Hawaiian fusion restaurant.
It might be good to mention that none of this food had ever seen a pan. Or an oven. There was no cooking involved in preparing any of that meal.
My burger seemed to come from a gas station microwave-n-vomit, the Angry Spicy Tiki Tofu seemed to have come out of a bag and my fiance's fish looked like someone had deep fried a sponge and threw it over a bed of white rice.
This grease-laden gut churning birthday mistake was not cheap.
In total, we spend nearly one hundred dollars for four people. We ordered no desserts and nobody had a drink except for me and when my Coke arrived, it was flat.
I suggest that if you and your family are looking for a fun, themed restaurant with good food and a nice atmosphere, you could try County Clare, an Irish restaurant on the East Side of Milwaukee.
But if you're in the mood to pay a lot of money to look at a dusty hammerhead shark nailed to the wall, attempt to eat some disgusting and possibly on fire food and then spend the rest of the night marveling at how fast your body was able to reject said food, then by all means, head on down to Kalua.
Not being disappointed was never an option.

1  Thank Katherine D
Reviewed 23 March 2013

We really enjoyed a nice meal at this new restaurant. It seems like the previous complaints have been worked out.
They have a liquor license. I had a blue Hawaiin and my spouse a glass of wine. Other tropical drinks like dacquiris and piña colada are on the menu too. We had the garlic pepper calamari for an appetizer and found it delicious.
Our entrees included the curry vegetable soup which was good , but spicy. We both ordered combo platters that featured coconut shrimp and Kalbi short ribs, served with side of rice and macaroni salad. Plates decorated with pretty orchid.
Loved the ribs, the shrimp was served with a creamy piña colada sauce. We couldn't resist dessert, so we ordered the Hawaiian ice cream sandwiches. Pineapple ice cream served between 2 almond cookies, rolled in toasted coconut and topped with whip cream. Delicious.
The service was attentive. Hawaiian music was playing and a lighting effect simulated waves on the ceiling. a large Easter Island style face sculpture decorated the dining room. We will definitely be back again.