“Great for weekend get away”

Washington House Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cedarburg
Reviewed 3 April 2012

Third time staying at the Washington House Inn. This time used a Living Social Deal and stayed two nights. As always, a great experience. Lovely accommodations, great breakfast, very friendly and helpful staff. I highly recommend this B&B!

Reviewed 31 March 2012

I've been a frequent guest of Washington House Inn since 1989 and, because it's near home, I visit a few times each year. I've been to B&Bs in a few other states, but this will always be my favorite. It was built in 1886 and is in the National Register of Historic Places. It's also a member of Select Registry which is an organization who determines if a B&B is exceptional and ensures the best accommodations. Few B&Bs are up to the standards of Select Registry.

The breakfasts are mostly continental (although they do now have some good hot foods) and are baked fresh every day. I've been to other B&Bs that have somewhat stale bakery that may or may not have been baked on the premises. They have unique bakery recipes and everything is always freshly baked and yummy. You can either go downstairs and eat or have it delivered to your room if you fill out a card and place it on your door. It's better sometimes to go down to breakfast because they do serve hot items such as scrambled eggs and bacon. In the room, it's strictly continental that is brought up. Between 5:00 and 6:00 is their social hour. They put out wines that are made at Cedar Creek Winery which is located just down the block and gives daily tours. I think that's a nice touch. Usually there are a couple tasty, spreadable cheeses and a few different types of crackers available. I haven't been there on a weekend for a few years, but they would put out one hot item during social hour. The gathering room where the breakfast is served in the morning and the wine and cheese are served at night is quaint, comfortable, and fits in beautifully with the American Country motif. Colorful painting are on the walls and the ceiling is decorative and old-fashioned in a good way.

Washington House is a larger (34 rooms) B&B and doesn't have those family-style breakfasts. I like this better. My husband and I usually like to have that time to ourselves to reconnect. The staff and other guests are friendly, so there have been times when I did have lively conversations. In the 23 years that I've been visiting Washinton House, I have never been bothered by another guest's behavior. They really do attract friendly, quiet, respectful clientel.

The inn is divided into two parts: Country and Victorian. I personally like the country side because it has exposed stone walls, wood beam ceilings, cobblestone in some bathrooms, and hard wood floors in some rooms. It really takes you back to an earlier time. Very rustic, but with a feminine touch as far as the understated decorating. The Victorian side is also nice and is more whimsical, romantic, light and airy.

There is only one negative that I can think of but, because I'm a fireplace fanatic, I feel the need to mention it. This doesn't take away my 5 star rating in the least, but it's something I feel people should know about. Most of the rooms have fireplaces and most of the fireplaces in those rooms have a low, blue flame kind of like your stove. There aren't many that have a more natural orange flame. This has been the case since I first started visiting the hotel and it would be so nice if that could be fixed. I usually don't even bother getting the fireplace going, unfortunately. I think I would actually visit even more if all the rooms had better-working fireplaces since I love that cozy feel so much.

Back to all the positives. I love the fact that they're discreet with their electronics. The TVs and DVD players are all tucked away in armoirs. It keeps that old-world charm. The sheets are the softest sheets I've ever slept on. I don't know much about thread count or materials, but they are so incredibly soft that enough people have asked about them and now they can even be purchased. Each room is very different from the next and I love trying out new ones. One tip is to make sure not to get one of the few rooms that faces the front of the building because there is a well-traveled road that can get fairly loud at times. It's really not too bad if you get a street-facing room, however. I have stayed many nights in them and they're fine. Still, I would ask for a room that doesn't face the street. The hotel is so well-built that I have yet to hear a TV or loud voices from another room. It's an incredibly quiet, peaceful, relaxing experience.

The inn is located in the heart of Cedarburg and, although Washington Avenue is a heavily traveled street, it has cute little shops, restaurants, candy stores, and coffee houses in historic buildings that give the area such charm. People love to stroll up and down the lengthy avenue. Washington House is about 25-30 minutes from downtown Milwaukee by car.

The best thing, for me, about the inn is the cleanliness. Most B&Bs are clean, but they just go above and beyond. You won't find a speck of dust in this place and it smells fresh and clean just upon entering. The people that clean the inn aren't maids who couldn't care less about the job they do, they're typically just the nice lady who lives down the street and is dedicated to doing a great job. A clean hotel is huge for me.

It's the perfect respite each time we go. I love this hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main street.
Reviewed 30 March 2012

We visit Washington house a few times a year and have never been disappointed. The Inn is very quite and comfortable and the food is great. Cedarburg is just a nice place to stroll and relax.

Room Tip: Just check out the pictures on the WEB page to select the style you prefer.
Reviewed 24 March 2012

Its a very good BnB. Offers everything that the website/reviews promise.

The staff is friendly and efficient. The location is excellent, right in the middle of downtown Cedarburg...walking distance from all the shops, restaurants, pubs etc.

The rooms are slightly old, but that adds to the charm and gives it that historic feel. Something to keep in mind about connecting rooms...the sounds are pretty loud and that can be annoying...ask for a room that doesn't connect if you're renting just one room.

Make the most of your stay!

Oh and I would definitely go back again!

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 24 March 2012

We had a very nice weekend getaway in Cedarburg. The Washing Inn was very nice and has a great location. Highly recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 March 2012

We have gone to stay at the Washington House Inn every year for our anniversary and we LOVE it there. The rooms are very comfy and quaint. We look forward to the wine and cheese hour and we LOVE the homemade breakfasts too! This really is a great place to stay and pretty affordable, given the history of the place. We are in our early 30's and we highly recommend this place to other people, regardless of age

Room Tip: We have stayed in a bunch of different rooms....rustic and victorian. I like the Victorian room fee...
Reviewed 21 March 2012

We stayed for one night for a special getaway. I have been going to Cedarburg since I was a child but I have never really immersed myself in the historical downtown Cedarburg area. It was amazing!

The Washington House Inn was perfect. Check-in was fast and easy. The people at the inn are beyond friendly. When we got to our room, we were in shock! We upgraded to a bigger king bed loft suite. Worth every penny! Had everything we needed and more...2 fireplaces, 2 tv's, amazing whirlpool tub, and such distinct charm. Everything was extremely clean. I am very funny about germs and cleanliness and this was probably the first place that I have stayed in, Bed and Breakfast or hotel, where I felt 110% comfortable walking around barefoot, didn't feel the need to check the sheets, etc. The bed was beyond comfortable and I didn't want to go home!

The wine/cheese hour from 5-6 was such a treat! Had wonderful appetizers and Cedar Creek Winery wine. So nice! The complimentary breakfast was another wonderful touch with great options to choose from.

The charm at this place is amazing and I cannot wait to go back. The location is great and within walking distance of so much. Definitely check out the Cedar Creek Winery and Silver Creek Brewery. Both very fun! The local bar, Easy Street, around the corner, is a fun little place to relax, have a beer, and watch a game also.

Cannot wait to plan another romantic weekend getaway to the Washington House Inn!

Room Tip: The Emil Herziger (not sure of spelling of last name of room)...room 218. AMAZING! Worth the upgrade...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cedarburg
Holiday Inn Port Washington
Downtown
The Pfister Hotel
The Pfister Hotel
#5 of 56 in Milwaukee

Been to Washington House Inn? Share your experiences!