“Left disappointed!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cedarburg
Chicago, Illinois
“Left disappointed!”
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Mind you, this was only my second B&B experience, but compared to my first experience (Edwards House in Fort Collins, CO), this was pathetic. My husband and I wanted a nice getaway for our "babymoon". We only had two days. Unfortunately, it was two days too long at this Inn. Because of our budget, we had to stay in a cheaper room. (Was that the problem??) We stayed in the William H. Horn room. It was tiny, outdated and smelly. The energy was just not good... not a great experience for our last getaway before our lives change forever. Then we were hoping for at least a decent breakfast. It was okay. But for being a bed & BREAKFAST, I thought it would have been a bit more special. The holiday inn has served me just as good of a breakfast. I don't like regretting things, but I wish we would have spent our minimal wages elsewhere. Nobody was very friendly, and I honestly just left kinda depressed.
$300 later, we are still longing for a nice getaway before baby arrives.

2 Thank AnnaDanielle
WashingtonHouseInn, General Manager at Washington House Inn, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Dear AnnaDanielle,
Congratulations in advance! I am sorry the “energy” in your room was not as you had hoped. We have an Innkeeper here around the clock. If anything is ever not to your liking, please in the future contact us so we are able to correct your issue while you are here as our guest. Our goal is to make our guests feel welcomed, pampered, and renewed at check out. We want each guest to leave anticipating their next trip to Cedarburg. Our return guests mean so very much to us.
We have 34 rooms in many rates, sizes, and offering many different amenities. Our “babymoon” couples often enjoy the walk-in therapeutic shower rooms. These are also the most economically priced. These rooms have queen bed, walk-in glass enclosed shower with bench, and multiple shower heads. You chose a room with a queen bed, whirlpool bath a bit larger than a standard tub/shower. We do have rooms in the Inn with king sized beds, oversized whirlpools, and many with fireplaces. Our website is the best way to choose a room to suit your needs. All 34 are pictured with descriptions of each. This is very helpful to guests who have not stayed with us before, as each is unique. Of course you can always call us with any questions.
In looking back on the menus for the two mornings of your stay I see we served some of our most requested recipes. On the first morning we served our award winning Wisconsin cherry with pecan scones, also our apple and walnut scones, both are delicious & served with maple butter, in addition we had a Breakfast Cheesecake, Blueberry Bread, Artisan Breads for toasting, yeast rolls, fresh fruit, and our hot dish was an egg, sausage & potato bake. On the second morning of your stay the baker made for our guests, Almond Puff Pastry, Orange Marmalade Muffins, Raspberry Swirl Cake, Date Nut Tea Bread, Artisan Breads for toasting, fruit bowl, and the hot dish was a Ham & Wisconsin Cheese Strata. Each and every day, we serve in addition to our daily changing menu these items as follows: hard boiled eggs, nuts, assorted yogurts and cheeses for protein. Cold and hot cereal (with milk choices of dairy, almond, coconut, and soy), we also have gluten free options available on request. If you opted for a breakfast tray delivered to your room, the choices are not as extensive as those served in our Gathering Room from 7-10 AM.
We hope you will join us as our guest again, we are a family friendly Inn, Cedarburg is a wonderful escape for all ages.

Very Sincerely,
Wendy J. Porterfield

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
Baltimore
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I really wanted to love this place, but didn't. First, let me say that the staff was really friendly, but the room was just OK. Not a good value for the price. We stayed in Room 3 Schroeder House. Cramped, not very attractive decor and the bathroom was very outdated. The dining room is way too crowded for the number of people and tables and the breakfast was just OK. My husband and I were in WI for my mother's funeral and I just wanted a nice, quiet place. Heard lots of street noise, so the sleep quality wasn't great. On the postitive side, the bed was comfortable with nice linens. We were in a hurry to leave one day and I ironed something before we left (before the room was made up). Came back to find the ironing board still in the middle of the floor. Strange. And the last night, we came back very late to find that another guest had parked in two spots. We went to the lobby, rang the bell, waited for close to 20 minutes and no one ever came. We were conviced that "Jim" was off sleeping somewhere. Called from our room and got a completely rude response (when he finally picked up the phone). He told us to park in the "overflow" lot -- we had no idea where that was! We finally figured it out, but not without a great deal of aggravation. The next day I spoke with Sue at the desk who apologized profusely, but still, the damage was done. Obviously, based on the reviews, people love this place. But we won't be back.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jhcharmcity
Dear JHCharmCity,
Please except our condolences for your great loss. We are sorry your visit to the Inn was under such circumstance.
I am sorry parking was an issue for you, and you were not parked as close to your guest room as you would have liked. We do not call any of our 4 parking lots “overflow”. All of our guests may use all, and any of our lots. There are four lots total, one is directly behind our Schroeder House, two parking lots just steps away from that, and a fourth adjacent to those, and accessed by a brick walkway directly behind the Washington House. I am also sorry the night innkeeper had stepped away from the desk when you came to get directions for additional parking options. Although we do have an Innkeeper on hand to assist you 24 hours every day, the late night Innkeeper also has laundry and kitchen responsibilities, in addition to collecting the menu cards for those guests who prefer to have breakfast delivered to their room. This is an option many of our guests look forward to, our Gathering Room can be very busy during the peak breakfast hour of 9-10 AM (our complimentary expanded continental breakfast buffet is served from 7-10 AM daily) for a quieter breakfast some guest prefer our tray service, or to arrive prior to peak dining.
We did review the breakfast menus for the days of your stay, our menu changes daily. We refer to our complimentary breakfast as an “expanded continental breakfast”. On the first morning of your stay, we served: Orange Coconut Cake, Chocolate Sour Cream Cake, Banana Tea Bread, bagels, fresh cut up fruits, and for our hot dish of the day we had both a vegetarian, and a bacon egg bake. Day two of your stay we had on our buffet: Banana Cake, an assortment of filled croissants, both Pistachio and Poppy Seed Tea Breads, Blueberry Muffins, strawberries, grapefruit, a medley of fried red, purple, yellow and sweet potatoes, along with eggs scrambled with shredded potatoes and sausage, or a vegetarian egg scramble. On day three of our stay with us we served up a mixed Berry Crumb Cake, Spring Citrus Cake, Banana Tea Bread, yeast rolls, an assortment of Artisan Breads for toasting, a fresh cut up fruit bowl, sliced ham, potatoes, and eggs scrambled. The list of following items are on our buffet daily in addition to our changing menus : cereals (both hot and cold), a granola mix, fresh berries, whole fresh fruits, hard boiled eggs, cheese, yogurt assortment, and nuts for proteins, fresh squeezed orange juice along with several other juice choices to include grapefruit, cranberry, tomato, and/or grape. We also always have on hand something for those guests who request gluten free choices, and milks of soy, almond, and coconut. We are constantly changing our selections to keep up with dining trends, special requests, and suggestions from our guests. We are asked for our recipes often, and are happy to share them with our guests. We never want to fall short of anyone’s expectations and hope you will reconsider staying with us again in the future.

Very Sincerely,
Wendy J. Porterfield
Port Washington, Wisconsin
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Spent one night at the inn as a romantic get away. We were very impressed with all aspects of our experience. Stayed in a first floor room directly overlooking the busiest intersection in Cedarburg and never heard a sound! The bed was a very comfortable king size 4 poster with a lace cover. I probably slept the best that I have ever slept in a hotel.There were two comfortable upright cushioned chairs and a whirlpool in the bathroom. The window treatment was slatted wooden blinds which gave privacy ( We were on the crosswalk) but let in filtered daylight when partially opened. There was a complementary wine and cheese, light appetizer buffet in the late afternoon and a very, very nice nice full breakfast. We left our car parked and were able to walk to numerous shops, restaurants and local watering holes.

Room Tip: Check out is not till noon. Kick back, relax and enjoy.
Racine, Wisconsin
Reviewed 15 March 2014

This was a return visit for us and, as usual, the accommodations, food and customer service were outstanding. It was a comfortable, peaceful and relaxing stay, which is why we came and why we will return. If you are looking for a nice "Inn" experience, in a unique small town, we do recommend the Washington House Inn.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed 6 March 2014

This was our first stay at a Bed and Breakfast and we found it to be nice. The decor was pretty much what one would expect from a bed and breakfast, though was a bit "flowery" for our tastes. The 24 hour concierge was nice to have, but it did make it a bit strange to walk down at night and have a cup of tea (complimentary) and chat with someone sitting so near. The sheets were very soft, but the mattress and pillows felt very old and were very uncomfortable. My husband and I didn't sleep at all (and not in the good way!) The saving grace after our sleepless night was the wonderful homemade bakery and orange juice with the granola and the fantastic choice to have breakfast in bed instead of downstairs in your jambes was perfect. I could eat a warm scone from here everyday!

1 Thank Hannah L
New Berlin, Wisconsin
Reviewed 6 March 2014

The Washington House Inn in Cedarburg WI is an excellent place to spend a night or two to relax and get away. After shopping in the quaint shops of Cedarburg, we enjoyed meeting other guests at the wine and cheese reception. Our room was just as pictured on their website and was most inviting. The breakfast buffet the next morning was delicious with many items to choose from I would definitely go back for another visit.

Memphis, Tennessee
Reviewed 2 March 2014

This was my first visit to a bed and breakfast, and I was pleasantly surprised. I have absolutely nothing but praise for this place. My room looked identical to what is shown on their website. Housekeeping is wonderful...one day I didn't need service, and they left me a basket (yes a real basket) of towels, bottled water, soaps, coffee, etc. The amenities are high quality-Thyme's soap/lotion. Huge fluffy white towels, high quality sheets. Breakfast is extra special. Homemade delights and a large variety to choose from (fruit, pastry, eggs, granola, bacon/sausage). I liked how the breakfast offerings changed daily. Every evening the wine and cheese reception is definitely worth attending. A large variety of wines from a local vineyard, along with different cheeses and crackers. I enjoyed chatting with other guests in the gathering room, but also appreciated being able to have privacy when needed. The location is a plus as well. I basically parked my car and walked everywhere else. I guess I could go on and on. Just know that you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: I stayed in room 222, which is on the end. I had a loft, 2 fireplaces. HUGE whirlpool bath in a se...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cedarburg
Holiday Inn Port Washington
#2 of 3 in Port Washington
Downtown
The Pfister Hotel
The Pfister Hotel
#5 of 56 in Milwaukee

Been to Washington House Inn? Share your experiences!