“Peace on earth” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Canoe Bay

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chetek
Canoe Bay
Ranked #1 of 2 Chetek B&B and Inns
Palm Beach, Florida
“Peace on earth”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

We spent 2 nights in this beautiful peaceful resort. Located in the woods on a lake, the facility has many incredible things to offer. Our private room was spacious, inviting and very comfortble. The sheets were so soft and beautiful I had to buy a set fro the shop. Our room was more like a mini condo with fire places, sitting areas, kitchenet, beautiful bathroom, and lovely decorations. It looks over water and the environment is so quiet. We were there later summer erly fall and there weren't too many people so it was additionally quiet. Not sure what it would be like full capacity but the layout is thoughtful in that regard. There are many room styles and sizes from which to choose. There are many beautiful hiking paths around the woods going in several direction giving lots to do. There are chairs and places to lounge in the woods and around the water. There are also very beautiful gardens to encounter on your hikes. I love moving water and there is a beautiful fountain water display area as well.There is a large and quiet library and also a fitness center. I forgot to mention that the complimentary breakfast is delivered right to your door. Dinner is located in the lovely dining room and is served by the chef. He makes things that are in season and fresh. One of our group did not eat fish and he was accommodated with something different. Very good food, tasty and very rich. Pleasant atmosphere and the service was good not exceptional. May have just been an off night as everything else is exceptional. A wonderful place to get away! It is expensive but you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Lots of room styles. I would ask a lot of questions to get the room most suited to you. I would find...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Meema21

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Golden Valley, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

It pains me to score this place as average because the grounds are beautiful, the room had every amenity one could wish for and the dinner was excellent. I desperately wanted to return here on a regular basis because the peaceful, natural setting reminds my wife and I of the ryokans in Japan.

But I cannot justify spending over $500 per night and then be told I can't have a proper cup of coffee or an espresso in the morning...the front desk staff mentioned this would be possible after 9a.m. but it wouldn't be delivered to my room. Also, my wife and I prefer light breakfasts but their skimpy continental breakfast was still disappointing and we were nickel-and-dimed for eggs and sausage.

In the warmer months, this is hardly an issue because we mostly just want to swim and hike. But how can they possible entice guests back in the colder months when cozying up in the cabin and having a nice, warm breakfast with great coffee would be one of the day's highlights? I'm sad to give it this score but at this price range, every reasonable accomodation should be made and judging by some other reviews, management does not share this opinion.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank Paul G
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

Adults only! For seclusion, privacy, elegance, the best of meals serving onsite grown vegetables & locally raised prime beef. if we didn't want to see another person for days we didn't have to! this place is truly a couples paradise with an elegant & extravagant cabin located right in the Midwest! Wildlife & a lake view at our back door, kayaks, canoes, swimming, sunbathing, bird watching, strolls through gardens and wilderness trails.. Such a place we've never experienced.
Thank you all at Canoe Bay for sharing this adventure with us!

Room Tip: Dream Cottages are outstanding with lake views, 2 tvs, air conditioning, hard wood floors, kitc...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

I just wanted to take the time out and say Thank You to all the people at Canoe Bay that made my vacation everything I wanted it to be!

First and foremost I would like to start by saying how impressed I was with the service and the amazing "Chef" for all of the wonderful meals that I received while I was there! In the mornings I woke up to having a wonderful breakfast basket, and not to mention the amazing chicken salad sandwich that was delivered for lunch! Every meal that I had while I was there was absolutely amazing, which is hard to find these days!

Second I would like to also compliment Canoe bay for having such a wonderful peaceful and relaxing place to stay. The resort was absolutely breathtaking! I live in a large city and coming to Canoe Bay gave me the opportunity to take in some much needed relaxing and quiet time.

I have worked in the hospitality industry for many years and can say that I was definently impressed with every aspect at Canoe Bay! Good service and great food along with serene beauty is hard to find all in one package nowadays! I couldn't of asked for a more pleasant place to have had my vacation. Canoe Bay totally met and exceeded my expectations! It was absolutely magnificent!

I will definently recommend this to anyone who is looking for a great place to vacation or just get away and relax. The only other comment that I have is that "It was absolutely magnificent"!

Again Thank You to everyone at Canoe Bay and I look forward to returning there soon!

Jessica Garza
Chicago,IL

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Jessica G
Iowa City, Iowa, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

We felt we were truly escaping our daily stresses the moment we drove down the winding tree lined drive to the well-appointed Canoe Bay Reception Lodge. Although conveniently located near the Lodge and Library, our Dream Cottage felt wonderfully private and peaceful.

The cottages appeared inspired by the land featuring elements or natural wood, stone, fire and water. Our every comfort seemed to be in mind with the accommodations including a plush oversized king bed, thick bathrobes and slippers, jetted Jacuzzi tub, steam shower, heated tile floor, and stunning stone fireplace. What really sets off Canoe Bay are the little touches like fresh flowers on the dining and bedside tables, classical music softly playing, and personal welcome and tour of our cottage upon arrival.

We both love seeing the behind the scenes action and chose to partake in the Chef’s Table. If you are interested in high end, creative cuisine I highly recommend taking advantage of this opportunity. The afternoon before we dined, we were lucky enough to tour the organic garden with Jedd, the property’s Harvester. After seeing the expansive raised beds of heirloom and unique vegetables, fruits, and flowers we were delighted to see how Chef Tom combined these elements in our creative, beautifully prepared dinner experience. Tom prepared an exquisite vegetarian menu (we requested this) with every course featuring unique preparations of the in season crops harvested from the garden. The meal was incredibly delicious, fulfilling, and artfully presented. Katie flawlessly paired wines for each course and Deanna and Hillary provided excellent service. We were thrilled with the experience.

I loved waking up every morning to the birds chirping and adorable fawns grazing outside our deck. While my typical morning includes a rush of chores and preparations for the day, I was under Canoe Bay’s spell and was able to breathe in nature, enjoy a great book from the library, and wait for my homemade breakfast to be delivered. What a life!

The property offers many complimentary activities and resources like kayaks, canoes, an expansive library complete with dvd’s and board games, and seemingly private nature trails overlooking the lake and gardens.

I recommend Canoe Bay to anyone looking for a quiet getaway. This is the perfect escape to reconnect, relax, and take in the beauty of the land.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gingersnap512
Chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2013

A Relais & Chateaux property, one of the 50 most romantic hotels in the world, etc...Canoe Bay sets itself up for world-class expectations and falls short on food and service. We were there for the 4th of July weekend and were pleasantly surprised with an upgraded room. We originally booked a fireplace room and were one of the Dream Cottages. Great accommodations - very private and quiet, which was exactly what we wanted.

We were very disappointed in the breakfasts and lunches - breakfast was a total of two small muffins per guest and the fruit was little more than a garnish (a small piece of watermelon, orange wedge and two strawberries per person). When we checked in, we asked if we could have espresso sent with our breakfast. The woman who checked us in said that it was available and they could accommodate. We were very disappointed to just receive a couple of Breakfast Blend (ie weak) K-cups. The following day, we requested a stronger blend of K-cups, which they did not have. Finally, the last day, they provided very strong brewed coffee, which was great. It would have been nice to have that option the other two mornings.

Lunches were skimpy at best. We had the salad both days - it was little more than mesclun greens with about 2 ozs of chicken and a cookie. We ended up ordering the cheese plates at every meal just to have enough food.

Dinners were okay. We didn't have a choice of entrees two of the three nights. Our issue was the price...Yes, they are good dinners for that area of the world, but if you live in a big city, you'll be disappointed in that you can get an equivalent or better meal for half the price at home. We did the wine cellar dinner one night, which was a lot of fun, and the private atmosphere was really nice.

We were surprised with the poor service - they seemed to be confused by anything that might be out of the ordinary. After our first night, we requested to have some extra pillows and bottled water sent to our room. They never arrived. The following morning, we received a phone call acknowledging that they forgot to send the pillows and water. They then sent someone with the pillows, but forgot the water. And then had to go back. At this price point, service should be flawless. They did give us a voucher for a free dinner on our next visit - a nice gesture, but it's one that assumes we'll return.

One final issue that we had was that the electricity at the resort went out our last afternoon for a couple of hours. Given that the weather was in the 90s, it was really uncomfortable. Also, one of of the best features of the property is the quiet - you hear no man-made sounds. The noise of the generators took us right back to all of the city noise/stress we were trying to escape. It was also a buzzkill in that we couldn't go hiking that afternoon as planned because there was no guarantee of having water for bathing.

If you go to Canoe Bay, knock your expectations down a bit from how they present themselves, and you'll have a great time. It is a beautiful, quiet and relaxing place. If you're at all active, you'll want more food than what their breakfasts and lunches provide - pack accordingly. Also know that you will be very much on their schedule for meals. Breakfast can be delivered three different times before nine. Lunch is between 12:30-1 and Dinner is at 7. We found it a bit tough adjusting to that timing.

It's a beautiful resort, but our vacation time is too precious for us to waste on a sub-optimal experience. Factoring in the cost and the time for travel from Chicago, for us it would be a better value and experience to go to Napa or Sonoma for a long weekend.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank ChicagoBauer
Rochester, MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

My husband and I have been coming to Canoe Bay since its beginning, and have the fondest memories of each experience. Seriously, Dan and Lisa have thought of every detail—in aesthetics (the property is gorgeously laid out, with a Frank Lloyd Wright-style waterfall and stream surrounding the Reception area, the loveliest 3-acre organic garden—I want one! I want one!—and fields of thoughtfully preserved prairie), in food and wine choices (Tom, their cook, and his staff do an impressive job of incorporating every aspect of their organic garden into their beautifully prepared meals, and their wine choices are stellar!), in amenities (lake views, gas-burning fireplaces, huge jetted tubs, comfy beds, a wet bar outfitted with service for two, a microwave, sink, K-cup coffee maker, refrigerator, and complimentary breakfast in bed, if you so desire!), and in décor and architecture. It’s impossible to stress that last point enough, because how everything feels and looks is an integral part to how you experience Canoe Bay.

There are plenty of things to do. They have an exquisitely curated library in the main Lodge. Take a book back to your cabin or to the many sitting places they have scattered about. Read. Soak in the tub. Try out the swimming beach. Catch a few rays or go for a swim. Grab a canoe and head out on the lake, where you’ll see deer along the shoreline and loons dipping for fish. Explore one of the many trails on the property, or if it’s snowing, strap on some snowshoes. GO SEE THE GARDEN. It’s spectacular. I could have stayed there all day. It’s deliciously quiet, whatever you decide to do. It’s as though you’ve fallen away from all civilization, except for the very luxurious creature comforts back at your cabin! Yes, there are bugs, but there’s repellent in your cabin, so use it. It’s just a fact of life here in the upper Midwest.

And if you think that you haven’t met the owners at any one time, you might want to inquire, because they are there…present at every turn...making sure you are having a fabulous stay. They just don’t advertise who they are. They’re extremely humble and generous people who work just as hard, if not harder, than all the people they’ve hired!

All in all, it’s one of our favorite places to go.

Room Tip: Read Canoe Bay's website page on accommodations, because each cabin's amenities varies sligh...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chetek
Curriers Lakeview Lodge
BEST WESTERN Inn
BEST WESTERN Inn
#1 of 8 in Rice Lake
Gathering Place Resort & Lodge

Been to Canoe Bay? Share your experiences!