“Romantic Getaway”
Review of Canoe Bay

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chetek
Canoe Bay
Ranked #1 of 2 Chetek B&B and Inns
Afton, Minnesota
“Romantic Getaway”
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We spent a wonderful 50th anniversary at Canoe Bay. We stayed in the Dream cottage which was beautiful. It was very roomy, with a kitchen, living area, bedroom, deck, fireplace, computer and printer for your use. Visiting the gardens is a must...they are spectacular. There is also a great library. The dining experience was great.....there is no choices for dinner but if you don't like something you can let them know in advance. We loved having breakfast and lunch delivered to the cottage. All in all it was a great cozy getaway!

Room Tip: We stayed in the dream cottage and it was perfect....the cottage the view everything!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
chicago
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We spent two nights here to come and see the fall colors. We drove from Chicago which was quite far away. We stayed in the most economical room ($300) which was in the lodge, i.e. the library building. The room was fairly small, but large enough for two nights. I enjoyed the wood paneling everywhere. The décor reminded me of Arts and Crafts and I enjoyed that. The bathroom had a nice Jacuzzi for two. I did not care for the simple separate shower which was basically a cheap shower stall together with the toilet and separated by a door from the rest of the bathroom. There was limited view from the room. The woods basically. But, there is a little sitting area outside of the room. I LOVED the bed and linens. We could not get out of bed in the morning. The bed was SO comfortable and the linens so soft. Very nice. The situation on a small lake was wonderful. Sufficient privacy, even in the lodge. We took a canoe and rowed around the small lake. Very relaxing. The breakfast was so so. Pretty basic for the price of the accommodation. Mostly just breads and fruit. You can pay extra for eggs and sausage, but the items were not consistently hot by the time it arrived outside of your room. I was a bit annoyed that there were only three time frames you could order breakfast and last one was around 9:15. Pretty early in my opinion when you are on vacation and might want to sleep in. We ate dinner at the restaurant once. I felt the meal was overpriced while delicious though. But, nothing special in terms of preparation. Dessert was way too heavy and did not seem to go with the rest of the food. No cocktails in this restaurant. Only wine and beer. We went to a supper club in Rice Lake and enjoyed meat there that was equally good and well prepared at a much lower cost. I would stay here again, but not sure I would really spent much more than what the cheapest room costs. Fireplace in room was disappointing. Gas with small flame.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank danielswiss64
Arlington Heights, Illinois
Reviewed 11 October 2013

My husband and I spent a lovely three-day weekend at Canoe Bay last weekend, and we are still grateful for the positive impact it had on us. We were able to relax in a way that is hard to do in a more cosmopolitan setting. Even though we were told the resort was full on Saturday night, we ran into very few people on the grounds except for dinner at the Lodge. We had reserved a Dream Cabin, which I would highly recommend for both comfort and privacy. I must thank the Canoe Bay staff for helping us make that selection. In fact, my husband and I remarked throughout our stay that it was remarkable that so many friendly, professional, service-minded and sophisticated staff could be found in such a remote place. (Jed and Katie, we're talking about you and others whose names we don't know!) Even when I made the reservation (as a surprise trip for my wonderful hubby), the staff I spoke to on the phone were extraordinarily helpful at helping me decide on the best timing, the best location, and suggestions for packing. The fall color was lovely, the trails beautiful and not challenging (a slight minus for us but good for those not as fit or adventurous), the fitness center well equipped, and the meals extraordinary. We kayaked and canoed on Lake Wahdoon, which was like glass, and marveled at the views below and above the water line. We dined in the Wine Cellar on Saturday, and it was simply amazing... we are still savoring the memory of the black truffle risotto! We loved the fact that we were so immersed in a natural environment - like encountering lots of deer, squirrel, chipmunks, and the highlght of the largest porcupine I've ever seen lumbering down the entry road toward us. I will reluctantly agree with one reviewer who felt "nickle and dimed" to get anything more than a continental breakfast, but we purchased an all-inclusive food package that allowed us to order anything for breakfast or lunch for one set price during our stay, and it was well worth it. Thanks to the staff, especially for the parting gift of homemade cookies for the road. One tip - pay attention to the directions on the resort's website - you'll need them!

Room Tip: Talk to the staff before making your reservation about the various locations and types of rooms/cabi...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Teresita_Herndon_VA
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed 10 October 2013

This is an Excellant place to stay! The food is Excellant, the service, and the entire property is summed up in one word-Excellant! This resorts deserves a five star rating, it is the best! A great place to come and relax and be pampered.

Room Tip: All types of rooms from your own separate cabins to rooms.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Red Bank, New Jersey
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Visiting our son at UW Eau Claire it was time for my wife and I to find a get away.
The lodge is beautiful and the rooms first class.
the Frank Lloyd Wright themed cottages were beautiful and very romantic.
we were there last weekend of September looked to be fairly full but really did not see others other than at dinner.total privacy. Food was excellent and service attentive a few glitches but nothing to distract from the setting.
Breakfast in room tremendous, dinner well paced and excellent the chef accommodated the last minute addition of our son which was great.

Room Tip: if you can afford the upgrade the lodges are well worth the privacy though the rooms in the service...
Port Townsend WA
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Stayed here one night as a break from a hectic 2 week schedule spent hopping around various destinations in MN, IA and WI visiting friends and family. Canoe Bay turned out the be the perfect spot to renew and rejuvenate mid-trip.
We were upgraded from the Lodge to a Dream Cabin which was outfitted with every imaginable amenity - jacuzzi tub, stone fireplace, 2 headed shower, separate bath tub, kitchenette, complimentary beverages, a bowl of trail mix, luxurious linens, separate sitting area, outside deck, elegant toiletries - all enveloped in a scene of tranquil beauty. The prix fixe dinner was good - although I agree with other reviewers that it was a bit overpriced at $75 for 3 courses. The problem is that once you are cocooned in the serene ambience of Canoe Bay you will not want to go off-site for dinner. Breakfast was brought to our room exactly on time - and a delight to enjoy on the cabin's deck facing the lake. We will stay here again on our next trip to the Midwest.

Reviewed 28 September 2013

This is our third stay over a fifteen year period and Canoe Bay remains a must on our infrequent trips to this part of the world. The setting is idyllic and our cabin was the essence of rustic elegance. The dining room is small and romantic. The food,while somewhat pricey, is well prepared and well presented. What knocks me out is that this is the same high quality experience it was fifteen years ago. That takes dedication and hard work. Five stars for Canoe Bay.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chetek
Curriers Lakeview Lodge
Curriers Lakeview Lodge
#3 of 8 in Rice Lake
Americas Best Value Inn Chetek
Best Western Inn
Best Western Inn
#1 of 8 in Rice Lake
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Rice Lake

Been to Canoe Bay? Share your experiences!