Canoe Bay
US$94
US$85
Best Western Inn(Rice Lake)(Great Value!)
US$85
Travelocity
US$117
US$111
Super 8 Rice Lake(Rice Lake)(Great Value!)
US$66
US$75
US$126
US$116
TripAdvisor
All reviewssteam showerlakeside cottageorganic gardensmall lakeprairie stylecatch and releaseprivate decknorthern wisconsintwin citiespeace and quietfixed menudeluxe roomeach eveninganniversary weekendbreakfast each morningwonderful weekendwi fi
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 November 2008

My wife and I stayed @ Canoe Bay over the weekend of November 8-9, 2008. Out intention was to get out of town without our kids for some serious R&R and decompression. Canoe Bay provided just the escape we needed. Top notch accomodations and service, extremely private, secluded, tranquil and quiet. My only beef, if any, was that the dinner didn't quite live up to our high expectations based on the price and what the resort delivered everywhere else.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CorporateHotelier
Reviewed 2 October 2008

My wife and I wanted to experience a nice getaway for the weekend.

The 2 days 9-26 & 9-27 (Fri & Sat). We requested a slightly early check-in 3:00. My wife had a massage scheduled at 4:00. The masseuse arrived in our Hillside cottage at 4:00 for an hour massage. I decided to head to the library to catch up on my email and explore the grounds. I took a leisurely walk around the pond and took some photos. Unfortunately, I was about 1 week off for the color change. However, I did build-up an appetite for dinner.

We had the dinner at the Inn. Food was good not great, but a great wine selection. Dinner was halibut so we had a bottle Kongsgaard chardonnay. Service was good and not overwhelming. I really liked the fact that unless you needed something, the staff was invisible.

Morning breakfast is delivered to your room. Decent breakfast. I had the lobster omellete with tea and my wife had scrambled eggs & sausage. Fresh fruit and baked goodies are also provided. Wife had a 2nd massage this morning. I spent the time at the library again. For lunch we went into town. Watched a movie and took a nap.

A good place to do nothing, but eat and sleep!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 August 2008

We wanted a relaxing getaway to just unwind. This place definitely fits the bill!
The staff is extremely helpful and accomodating when you need them, and otherwise invisible.
The lake was serene and reminded me of the one I swam in as a kid . . . clean, warm, and without motorized boats. The loon provided the perfect entertainment as we kayaked around and was around every evening at dinner.
If you're looking for a place to see lots of wildlife, reconnect with nature and your partner, and relax, this is the place for you!
We will definitely go back!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank climbingduo
Reviewed 18 April 2008

My husband and I just returned from a short stay at Canoe Bay. This was our first time at Canoe Bay and we fell in love. We cannot wait until we can return for another visit and plan to stay longer next time. The weather was cold and drizzly when we went, but that added to the romance for us. It was perfect for taking a romantic walk with umbrellas, sitting in the cozy library and then heading back to our cottage to curl up next to the fire or have a relaxing glass of wine in the hot tub together. There was absolutely no detail that was left out during our stay. Everyone we met on the staff was absolutely wonderful to deal with and very accomodating and helpful. There are many little "extras" that the owners do for their customers. Little things such as: complimentary sodas in the room refrigerators, snacks in the drawers, complimentary slippers, etc. Very first class and beyond what we were hoping for! Can't say enough good things about this place. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank derek-traci
Reviewed 3 January 2008

We spent our honeymoon week at Canoe Bay and could not have asked for a better experience. The property was impeccably maintained. We had booked a Lookout Cottage but were upgraded to a Lakeside, and could not have asked for a more beautiful place to stay. Two fireplaces, surround sound classical music, an enormous two-headed shower, a whirlpool overlooking the lake, and fantastic warm lighting made for a great week.

What we most enjoyed was the ability to just spend time together in a lovely setting. We did hike the trails around the property one day, and went canoing on another, but most of the time we spent enjoying the amenities in our cabin. Canoe Bay is a fantastic place to simply relax, so if you're looking for non-stop activities it's probably not your best bet.

We didn't eat dinner in the dining room every night because some evenings we were looking for something lighter, but we did enjoy all of the meals that we had there. I would describe the food as very good-- not particularly imaginative, but nicely executed for the most part and showcasing local flavors and produce.

We ate several lunches and dinners at a local brew pub, which we enjoyed. The town close to Canoe Bay is not enormous, but perfectly adequate. Clearly, it's no big city, but I was actually surprised by its size after some of the reviews complaining about Canoe Bay's remoteness.

Ultimately, I would recommend Canoe Bay to anyone looking for a romantic, relaxing getaway. It was utterly fantastic and we will definitely return.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple