“Beautiful tranquility”
Review of Canoe Bay

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chetek
Canoe Bay
Ranked #1 of 2 Chetek B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 August 2009

We spent 2 nights here, and it was definitely too short. We were looking for luxury and quiet, and we experienced both. I can't think of a better place to celebrate a special event - anniversary, birthday, etc.

As others have mentioned, there is a curving wooded driveway onto the property that is very, very private, and heightens your excitement as you draw near to the resort.

You will not see a "hotel" - there are only 3 main buildings, and they are extremely small. One is the reception area, one is the lodge that holds the unbelievable library, and one is the inn that holds the dining room. All the buildings are Prairie-inspired and beautifully maintained. Another aspect of the property that contributes to the overall beauty is the outdoor spaces; in particular, there are 2 gardens that are real treasures. One is the "guests" garden that has breathtaking flowers and a lovely bench to sit and relax. The other is the "cooks" garden where fresh vegetables and herbs are grown. Of course, there is also a lake (not great, at least this summer - we heard it was a bit low - but it's still lovely) and the wonderful woods around the area. When we came, it was very buggy. It's hard to avoid bugs in the Northwoods of Wisconsin - so just be prepared.

The service is outstanding, very personal, and very discreet. For example, your breakfast is delivered to your door with a ring of your doorbell, but then the delivery person leaves. You open the door at your leisure, and unload the wonderfully packed basket yourself - something I much prefer to sitting around while room service sets up the meal. If you go to dinner, the host/hostess greets you by name, without you even telling them who you are (and the night we ate dinner there were at least 10 other couples there).

Our room was very nice, although next time I think I'd spring for an even more expensive room if possible. We stayed in the lookout cottages. A few things that I would have preferred: a more private view of the lake, perhaps a more interesting location for the shower/tub (I believe some of them permit you to see the fireplace from the shower, e.g.), and a better location for the couch/TV (a bit too far to see well). But these are minor complaints: the room was extraordinarily clean and the bed was extraordinarily comfortable.

We were perfectly happy doing nothing. Reading, watching TV, walking, visiting the amazing library, laying on the deck, etc. Time passed way too quickly!

Dinner was better than we had expected, but definitely overpriced. (If I could give the place 4.5 stars, I would - taking off .5 for the dinner). Again, service was perfect. And in fact most of the courses were perfect. But the main course was mediocre, and for the price, any flaws would be noticeable. This pricing would be a bit much in Chicago, and considering this location it is out of line.

I don't usually like revisiting vacation spots, but this one is a keeper!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ruchelaya

Reviewed 6 July 2009

When my husband and I take a weekend getaway, we want it to be just that - a true place to get away. We also like the experience of the outdoors, but aren't too fond of the "roughing it" part. That brings me to our recent weekend adventure. After three nights at Canoe Bay, I fear our other future travels will have a hard time measuring up.

It starts from the scenic drive as you pass through the charming town of Chetek and onto a beautiful country road, arriving a few minutes later at the curving wooded driveway into the resort. What a lovely welcome at the reception area!! You are greeted by a gorgeous Prairie-style inspired cedar building w/a magnificent garden and water feature - the air smells great when you step out of the car and you immediately start to relax. Check-in is a breeze - you likely won't see any other guests - and you are warmly whisked away to your accommodations.

As for the rooms - all I can say is fabulous. There are a range of choices (and a range of prices) but even the smallest room is fully equipped w/a jacuzzi, fireplace, shower, king bed, down comforter, 600-thread-count linen, flat screen TV w/DVD, outdoor sitting area, robes, and much more. It was spotlessly clean as well with abundant towels and even a delicious welcome gift of mixed nuts/berries and complimentary bottled water. We were in heaven.

But, one of the best parts is the quiet - it is SO peaceful - SO beautiful. We saw numerous deer on the property throughout our stay and the only sound is the chirping of birds and the breeze through the trees.

I was a bit worried we might get restless or bored, but neither happened. We spent our days either fishing - we literally caught a fish each time we cast off as it was a very well-stocked lake with some hungry fish - or canoeing (provided by the resort) or on nature walks or sleeping, reading and watching movies.

I know others have mentioned the on site library - what a great space. Literally hundreds of books organized by interest (history, travel, politics, etc.) My husband had his nose stuck in a Lincoln book all weekend. Not only is the architecture of this building fabulous, but they also provide coffee, tea, hot chocolate all day. Soft classical plays in the background and there is a computer w/internet access in the loft.

We loved the breakfast deliverd each day - such a nice touch and very good quality (great coffee). The only minor disappointment was the evening meal - this truly comes down to personal preference, so please take these comments in that spirit. While the quality was excellent (fresh, lovely ingredients made with care) my husand and I felt the meal was overpriced and honestly more complicated than it needed to be. It's a limited menu with a California/French - spa cuisine feel - smaller portions, use of organic ingredients, long, drawn-out service. The food was rather plain (i.e., bland, broiled fish w/no sauce or flavor). We have had those kinds of meals many times before - lovely presentation, but give us a great chicken or pasta dish any day (and keep the sorbet palate cleanser and watermelon soup ambuse-bouche). Without any alcohol, the tab was $75 per person - we had 2 glasses of champagne and were close to $200. Service was very good.

Overall, I can't say enough wonderful things about this experience - how great that one can get all the benefits of an outdoor experience and have a great night sleep in luxurious accommodations. We will absolutely be back again and again.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank myboo
Reviewed 3 July 2009

Everything we thought it would be and more! From the moment we arrived and got upgraded to Dream cabin we knew it was well worth the money. Service and food incredible. We were looking for a weekend to reconnect with each other and relax and that's what we got. We spent three nights here. Went hiking every morning on their hiking paths as bugs were not out yet the second weekend in June. Canoed around the lake and saw two tiny fawns. Highly recommended. We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KandE_Hen
Reviewed 23 June 2009

The person who rated "Canoe Bay" as "the worst" is confused and was obviously at a different Canoe Bay than the Canoe Bay at 16065 Hogsback Road. Your site should screen these comments when they are erroneous. The restaurant at the Hogsback Road Canoe Bay is comparable to the finest in the Country. The writer also describes the stay as a "family" trip: further confirming he or she is describing a different place. Children ( and pets) are not allowed at Canoe Bay. Sullying the reputation of this tremendous inn by error should be an embarrassment to your web site.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mountaineer1952
Reviewed 13 April 2009

I stayed at canoe bay for three days. The web sit stated there was a resturant (lies, none). I spoke to the managment he told me "that is not true, it says self serve kitchen" meaning you must have your own food and cook. It is located around nothing. At night it become very quite and very very dark. It is difficult to get a cab to drive you back there. Everyone in my family felt uncomfortable and unsafe. Everyone we spoke to was very suprise that we were staying there, but no one said why. One guy said if someone come bake there and kill you no one will know until morning. Well that is what happen there. I found this after doing my research. DO NOT STAY AT CANOE BAY HUNTED HOTEL!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family
6  Thank 9SMUN
Reviewed 18 November 2008

My wife and I stayed @ Canoe Bay over the weekend of November 8-9, 2008. Out intention was to get out of town without our kids for some serious R&R and decompression. Canoe Bay provided just the escape we needed. Top notch accomodations and service, extremely private, secluded, tranquil and quiet. My only beef, if any, was that the dinner didn't quite live up to our high expectations based on the price and what the resort delivered everywhere else.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1  Thank CorporateHotelier
Reviewed 2 October 2008

My wife and I wanted to experience a nice getaway for the weekend.

The 2 days 9-26 & 9-27 (Fri & Sat). We requested a slightly early check-in 3:00. My wife had a massage scheduled at 4:00. The masseuse arrived in our Hillside cottage at 4:00 for an hour massage. I decided to head to the library to catch up on my email and explore the grounds. I took a leisurely walk around the pond and took some photos. Unfortunately, I was about 1 week off for the color change. However, I did build-up an appetite for dinner.

We had the dinner at the Inn. Food was good not great, but a great wine selection. Dinner was halibut so we had a bottle Kongsgaard chardonnay. Service was good and not overwhelming. I really liked the fact that unless you needed something, the staff was invisible.

Morning breakfast is delivered to your room. Decent breakfast. I had the lobster omellete with tea and my wife had scrambled eggs & sausage. Fresh fruit and baked goodies are also provided. Wife had a 2nd massage this morning. I spent the time at the library again. For lunch we went into town. Watched a movie and took a nap.

A good place to do nothing, but eat and sleep!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chetek
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Rice Lake
Americas Best Value Inn Chetek
Best Western Inn
Best Western Inn
#1 of 8 in Rice Lake
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Rice Lake

Been to Canoe Bay? Share your experiences!