“A Breath of Heaven.....”
Review of Canoe Bay

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chetek
Canoe Bay
Ranked #1 of 2 Chetek B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 September 2009

My wife and I scheduled a getaway weekend to celebrate our 10th anniversary. Having spent a number of hours online looking for THE special place, we stumbled across this hidden gem online...and in our own backyard! (Chetek is only 4-5 hours from Milwaukee).

We arrived at Canoe Bay a bit later than expected on a Friday evening and were greeted with a warm and inviting staff at the reception area who escorted us to our room - The Heavenly Suite, which is 1 of 2 rooms at the "inn". The Heavenly Suite was just that - An increibly peacful, elegant piece of heaven on Earth. I cannot even articulate the wonderous charm this room has to offer. The King Size bed overlooks one of the most beatiful and peaceful settings I could imagine.

Dinner at the Inn was equisite - No detail was left out. The service was impeccable and all 5 courses were outstanding.

Having been to a number of world-class luxury resorts, Canoe Bay is a must.

My only recommendation for anyone would be to make 100% sure you eat all of your dinners at the Inn. We searched high and low in the town of Chetek and nearby Rice Lake and found nothing short of old-school supper clubs and bar & grills to dine on our 2nd night, which unfortuantely stole some of the peace we had experienced.

We will be back for sure and highly recommend Canoe Bay to anyone who is looking for a piece of heaven!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank brianrkMilwaukee
There are newer reviews for Canoe Bay

Reviewed 22 September 2009

After a short drive through the northwoods, we arrived at Canoe Bay. From the warm welcome by the staff at reception to the "oh Wow! when they opened the door to the "accomodations" (it was an entire home) for the next few days, it was clear that this was not going to be your typical resort stay. The sun was setting over the lake and our wine and cheese package was ready for us on the deck. We watched the deer wander the property and later proceeded to a 5 star dinner at the Inn.
The house was nestled in the woods at the top of a hill. We had multiple fireplaces, a sauna, whirlpool and a large steam shower. Every morning, fresh fruit and bakery arrived at our door. The afternoons were occupied with hikes, visits to the vegetable garden and picnicks at the lake. It is a perfect place to unwind and enjoy with someone that you want to be with.

My wife and I don't often indulge ourselves but the 3-day experience was well worth it and we highly recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 September 2009

Cannot say enough about the high quality of Canoe Bay. Unlike anything else one would find in the Midwest. Excellent facilities and no better place to get away from it all and relax.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 September 2009

My husband and I stayed at Canoe Bay for a weekend and loved it. The great service started from the moment we booked and continued until we left the property. We drove up from Chicago and after a six hour drive we were hoping for a relaxing and refreshing weekend and that's what we got. The site is beautiful and the buildings are designed in a way that works perfectly with the surroundings. We stayed in a Lakeside Cottage which was very cosy and comfortable. As well as a bedroom, living area there was also a mini spa with sauna, workout machine and hot tub - all of which we used! (If you don't think you will use these facilities, then best to book a different cottage) The cottage overlooked the lake which was beautiful. We went kayaking, hiking and even swimming in the lake at dawn which was a lot warmer than we expected. The food was excellent - much better than we expected. Overall Canoe Bay lived up to our expectations and we would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bug4travel_9
Reviewed 2 August 2009

We spent 2 nights here, and it was definitely too short. We were looking for luxury and quiet, and we experienced both. I can't think of a better place to celebrate a special event - anniversary, birthday, etc.

As others have mentioned, there is a curving wooded driveway onto the property that is very, very private, and heightens your excitement as you draw near to the resort.

You will not see a "hotel" - there are only 3 main buildings, and they are extremely small. One is the reception area, one is the lodge that holds the unbelievable library, and one is the inn that holds the dining room. All the buildings are Prairie-inspired and beautifully maintained. Another aspect of the property that contributes to the overall beauty is the outdoor spaces; in particular, there are 2 gardens that are real treasures. One is the "guests" garden that has breathtaking flowers and a lovely bench to sit and relax. The other is the "cooks" garden where fresh vegetables and herbs are grown. Of course, there is also a lake (not great, at least this summer - we heard it was a bit low - but it's still lovely) and the wonderful woods around the area. When we came, it was very buggy. It's hard to avoid bugs in the Northwoods of Wisconsin - so just be prepared.

The service is outstanding, very personal, and very discreet. For example, your breakfast is delivered to your door with a ring of your doorbell, but then the delivery person leaves. You open the door at your leisure, and unload the wonderfully packed basket yourself - something I much prefer to sitting around while room service sets up the meal. If you go to dinner, the host/hostess greets you by name, without you even telling them who you are (and the night we ate dinner there were at least 10 other couples there).

Our room was very nice, although next time I think I'd spring for an even more expensive room if possible. We stayed in the lookout cottages. A few things that I would have preferred: a more private view of the lake, perhaps a more interesting location for the shower/tub (I believe some of them permit you to see the fireplace from the shower, e.g.), and a better location for the couch/TV (a bit too far to see well). But these are minor complaints: the room was extraordinarily clean and the bed was extraordinarily comfortable.

We were perfectly happy doing nothing. Reading, watching TV, walking, visiting the amazing library, laying on the deck, etc. Time passed way too quickly!

Dinner was better than we had expected, but definitely overpriced. (If I could give the place 4.5 stars, I would - taking off .5 for the dinner). Again, service was perfect. And in fact most of the courses were perfect. But the main course was mediocre, and for the price, any flaws would be noticeable. This pricing would be a bit much in Chicago, and considering this location it is out of line.

I don't usually like revisiting vacation spots, but this one is a keeper!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ruchelaya
Reviewed 6 July 2009

When my husband and I take a weekend getaway, we want it to be just that - a true place to get away. We also like the experience of the outdoors, but aren't too fond of the "roughing it" part. That brings me to our recent weekend adventure. After three nights at Canoe Bay, I fear our other future travels will have a hard time measuring up.

It starts from the scenic drive as you pass through the charming town of Chetek and onto a beautiful country road, arriving a few minutes later at the curving wooded driveway into the resort. What a lovely welcome at the reception area!! You are greeted by a gorgeous Prairie-style inspired cedar building w/a magnificent garden and water feature - the air smells great when you step out of the car and you immediately start to relax. Check-in is a breeze - you likely won't see any other guests - and you are warmly whisked away to your accommodations.

As for the rooms - all I can say is fabulous. There are a range of choices (and a range of prices) but even the smallest room is fully equipped w/a jacuzzi, fireplace, shower, king bed, down comforter, 600-thread-count linen, flat screen TV w/DVD, outdoor sitting area, robes, and much more. It was spotlessly clean as well with abundant towels and even a delicious welcome gift of mixed nuts/berries and complimentary bottled water. We were in heaven.

But, one of the best parts is the quiet - it is SO peaceful - SO beautiful. We saw numerous deer on the property throughout our stay and the only sound is the chirping of birds and the breeze through the trees.

I was a bit worried we might get restless or bored, but neither happened. We spent our days either fishing - we literally caught a fish each time we cast off as it was a very well-stocked lake with some hungry fish - or canoeing (provided by the resort) or on nature walks or sleeping, reading and watching movies.

I know others have mentioned the on site library - what a great space. Literally hundreds of books organized by interest (history, travel, politics, etc.) My husband had his nose stuck in a Lincoln book all weekend. Not only is the architecture of this building fabulous, but they also provide coffee, tea, hot chocolate all day. Soft classical plays in the background and there is a computer w/internet access in the loft.

We loved the breakfast deliverd each day - such a nice touch and very good quality (great coffee). The only minor disappointment was the evening meal - this truly comes down to personal preference, so please take these comments in that spirit. While the quality was excellent (fresh, lovely ingredients made with care) my husand and I felt the meal was overpriced and honestly more complicated than it needed to be. It's a limited menu with a California/French - spa cuisine feel - smaller portions, use of organic ingredients, long, drawn-out service. The food was rather plain (i.e., bland, broiled fish w/no sauce or flavor). We have had those kinds of meals many times before - lovely presentation, but give us a great chicken or pasta dish any day (and keep the sorbet palate cleanser and watermelon soup ambuse-bouche). Without any alcohol, the tab was $75 per person - we had 2 glasses of champagne and were close to $200. Service was very good.

Overall, I can't say enough wonderful things about this experience - how great that one can get all the benefits of an outdoor experience and have a great night sleep in luxurious accommodations. We will absolutely be back again and again.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank myboo
Reviewed 3 July 2009

Everything we thought it would be and more! From the moment we arrived and got upgraded to Dream cabin we knew it was well worth the money. Service and food incredible. We were looking for a weekend to reconnect with each other and relax and that's what we got. We spent three nights here. Went hiking every morning on their hiking paths as bugs were not out yet the second weekend in June. Canoed around the lake and saw two tiny fawns. Highly recommended. We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KandE_Hen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chetek
Americas Best Value Inn Chetek
Best Western Inn
Best Western Inn
#1 of 8 in Rice Lake
AmericInn Hotel & Suites Rice Lake

Been to Canoe Bay? Share your experiences!