“Exceptionally good food and drinks, but very expensive and so trendy that it can be alienating.”
Review of Stella's - CLOSED

Stella's
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 22 July 2014

My boyfriend made reservations here for a romantic date. Let me say that the experience was largely good and we will go back, but I am only giving it four stars and a low "value" rating because even for a trendy haute-cuisine type place, the experience can be kind of alienating at times. We are both "hip" twenty somethings who have both lived and dined in larger cities, and even for us the "coolness" was a little overwhelming and it took a long time to relax. The food is very highly priced, considering it is an a-la-carte or tapas style dining experience. Our bill was twice what we had originally expected, but if we had ordered any less we would have been hungry (and I still ate a lot of popcorn at the comedy club afterward). Having made my complaints, let me say the food is amazingly delicious and the portions are not itty-bitty teeny-tiny like they sometimes are at these fancy pants places. We shared a salad that was amazing, and a desert which was even better, and they paired amazingly well with a mixed drink that has caused me to fall in love with green cardamon. The drink was so delicious I wanted to order another despite the fact that it was inordinately expensive and I do not usually drink at all. The restaurant was packed when we went, but after a corner booth near us went empty, the waitress allowed us to move over to it to feel more comfortable and romantic. Dim lighting makes it seem romantic, but then you feel way too close to other tables to be able to have an intimate conversation with your partner. Plus the ruckus at the bar flows over everything. Next time we are going somewhere cheaper for our entree, and doing desert and drinks here. Again, despite its flaws, what it does well it does VERY well, and when we can afford it we will go back.

2  Thank Alexis R
There are newer reviews for Stella's

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Came to De Pere on business and stayed at a local hotel I found S.A.L.T when I was walking through town. Could not get a table at 6pm on a weekday, but did get a seat at the generous sized bar. I guess a reservation might be necessary. Bar staff were very friendly and professional. Decent beer, wine and alcohol selection. Menu is setup as different sized plates. Prices are a little on the high side for the area. Food selection is a little limited. Tried the veal ragu which was a little salty but good. Bar has a great vibe to it. Very trendy. Owners blended the old and new very well. Nice out door patio areas for the summer. Place did not get to loud. Overall, a nice atmosphere. Not really a place for kids.
Rest rooms were off the bar area, did not try use it so no comment. Would try this restaurant again when in the area.

1  Thank Kim A
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We were here because of a Father's Day gift for the New Holland Brewing dinner! From the moment we walked in the staff was incredible! The beer dinner was a lot of fun but the food was fantastic, so much that we can't wait to go back!

1  Thank Kristen D
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Private reception in the bar with 6 different appetizers - pork belly, scallops, tuna tartar, meatloaf cupcakes were particularly excellent. The group had a grill flat iron steak (good) and sablefish entree (excellent). The deserts were a pistachio and chocolate moose (okay) and a fresh fruit trifle (excellent). Service was very good both bar and maintains the flow of food. Bar area is very eclectic and interesting.

Reviewed 13 June 2014 via mobile

Small portions all about presentation. Atmosphere reminds me of Chicago or Uptown in Minneapolis. Unique for NE Wisconsin.