“Secluded”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Dodgeville
The House on the Rock Inn
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Dodgeville
Mississauga, Canada
“Secluded”
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Loved the place except for a few things. The Inn is located in a secluded location - nothing within walking distance. Even the HOTR attraction was quite a drive away. They have what looked like a restaurant but it was closed. We had to drive out for dinner. We stayed in a deluxe two room which was very spacious and clean. Only problem I had with it was all the faucets that were installed backwards (be careful, don't burn your hands) and the deadbolt on the main door (had to lift the door for the deadbolt to fit into its hole). Couldn't connect to the WiFi. It was disappointing there was no coffee maker in the room. Excellent pools. The breakfast room was spacious. The food selection was lacking. There were no eggs or sausage. It would have been great if there were waffles or pancakes. Service was excellent though. The Asian man was so sufficient in replenishing the food and even helped us with our trays.
Even with the negatives, I wished we stayed longer than one night.

• Stayed August 2014

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Lawrence, Kansas
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We were there for a wedding. We stayed two nights here. They have a very nice pool and play area for kids and a bar for adults that opens late afternoon. There is also an outdoor pool. Rooms were big and reasonably clean, the only knock I have is the cold water handle on both sinks were hot water handles on backwards. As a retired home inspector this bothered me.

Room Tip: I would prefer being on the ground floor.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 11 August 2014

The HOTR Inn and the HOTR Resort are two different places. Not only are they different places, they are a 20 minute drive apart. Not helpful if you're attending a wedding at the resort. When I called to make the reservation, the person who answered the phone said "Hello, House on the Rock Resort." So naturally I just continued with the booking. At no time was it mentioned or clarified that I was staying at the Inn, not the Resort, even though I specified that I was attending a wedding at the Resort. When we realized the error on the day of the wedding, there was much confusion. The person I spoke with on the phone informed me that one just has to know the difference between the two properties when making the reservation. She was slightly condescending about this information as well. Apparently a number of wedding guests made this mistake, even though we were using the phone number on the wedding invitation which is for the Resort.
HOTR could easily accommodate having two properties miles away from each other by offering a shuttle (at least on weekends or when there are weddings), but they do not. Also, the staff member at HOTR Inn had no idea what I was talking about when I asked for directions to Wintergreen Lodge, which is part of their property!
The rooms are pretty antiquated, with the carpet and bedspreads desperately needing updating. The hot water in the shower ran out very quickly.
Overall, not really impressed with staff knowledge and service. The rooms are nothing special, especially for the high prices. For all of the driving back and forth we did, I would have much rather stayed in Madison for much cheaper.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank sconniemegs

Travellers are raving about these Dodgeville hotels

Peoria, IL
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My husband and I went here for our anniversary, just for a two day get away. We stayed on the lower level in a room with a whirlpool. The room was pretty spacious and nice, with a refrigerator and microwave in the room. The bed was really comfortable. When we checked in, the people at the front desk were very friendly. We found our room, and once we got settled in, we turned on the t.v., but we couldn't get anything to come up on the screen. I tried unplugging and plugging the t.v. and cable box back it, but it still wouldn't work. We called the front desk, and a girl came down and tried the same thing. She said it had something to do with the cable company and that she would call them. We waited for an hour and the t.v. still had the same message on it, so we decided to walk down to the front desk to let them know. The girl behind the front desk said she would pass on the message to the other girl that came to our room an hour earlier. We decided to walk around the hotel. They have an indoor kiddie pool with a submarine looking thing that shoots water inside and outside of it. It keeps kids busy while having fun. The outdoor pool is pretty nice. There are plenty of tables and chairs around the pool to sit at. After we sat outside for a half an hour or so, we went back to our room. The cable STILL wasn't on, so I walked back down to the front desk and asked for the cable company's phone number. The girl that had previously came down to our room to try and fix the t.v. said she tried calling them but couldn't get an answer. I told her to give me the number and I would try. She said she would try again, and by the time I got back to the room, the front desk girl had called and asked us if the t.v. was working, which by then, it was. That and the only other complaint I would have is the WiFi. We couldn't get a strong enough signal to get onto our laptop. Plus we had to go either down to the lounge or up to the third floor to get a signal. We tried both places to no avail. We never could get online with our laptop. We went to the House on the Rock attraction which is 7 miles down the road. It's a pretty neat place. Saturday night we drove to a town called Spring Green and ate at a restaurant called Arthurs. It was really good. All in all, it was a nice two day getaway.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Northern Illinois
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We had a nice stay at the Inn. It has a very spacious lobby and the pools are great. The submarine was even fun for our 11 year old! The two adult pools are nice and large. The inside pool starts shallow and gradually goes to 5 1/2 feet. The submarine kiddie pool is around 1 1/2 feet.....but nice and warm. There is an outside pool and a hot tub.
We got the package that included House on the Rock tickets. The continental breakfast is mostly cereal, muffins, bagels, yogurt and toast. There was also applesauce. It would have been nice to have some fresh fruit.
The room probably could use a little updating. Pillow top mattresses would have been nice....newer bedspread (just outdated design) and a newer flat screen tv. We missed wifi in our room...They have it in the lobby. We did have a dorm frig and a microwave but no coffee maker.
All in all comfortable stay.....I would say about $15 more than I have stayed in a comparable hotel that had wifi and breakfast with scrambled eggs and evening snacks.....

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I loved the decor and the room, except for the lack of a mini-fridge. I also enjoyed looking at the submarine pool room, although my sister said there was so much chlorine in there it hurt your eyes. But only having WiFi access in the lobby - when it worked - sucked! No one uses cords to get internet anymore. Service was attentive but the continental breakfast was lame. Don't know if the toilets in each room are like airplane toilets, but ours was and it was disconcerting. I have a feeling they're low-flow toilets though, which in theory is a good thing.

Room Tip: 2nd floor wasn't bad.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Thought we were booking four nights at the House on the Rock Resort, but mistakenly booked House on the Rock Inn, 15 minutes away from Spring Green. The Inn is very basic, clean and friendly. Comfortable firm bed. We got what we paid for. We golfed three days at the Resort golf course, and found it a pretty course, well maintained and well staffed. Next time will try to get a room at the Resort, but will try to book well in advance. The summer months can be very crowded at the American Players Theater and at Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesen.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the back of the hotel. Rolling green hills are lovely.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dodgeville
Best Western Dodgeville Inn & Suites
#2 of 3 in Mineral Point
Deer Valley Lodge & Golf
Deer Valley Lodge & Golf
#1 of 1 in Barneveld

Been to The House on the Rock Inn? Share your experiences!