“We'll Stay Here Again!”
Review of Don Q Inn

Don Q Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Dodgeville
Reviewed 3 July 2013

This was such a fun place, yet extremely quiet and very clean. The kitschy decor in the common areas, the plane out front, the barn-beam lobby and halls. Yet our room was very, very comfortable, exceptionally clean, and quite up to date. Very reasonable rates as well. Sam and Maddie's next door offered very good food at what I considered to be cut-rate prices. I don't know if they're above or below local scale pricewise, but from our experience, we had a delicious and inexpensive meal

We will be staying here again - a lot of personality, and very friendly staff.

Room Tip: We had a room at the far end of the wing - very large, and very quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Susan H

Reviewed 25 June 2013

We stayed here on the way to Decorah Iowa. The price was good for a very large 2 bed room, clean, a bit dark but comfortable. This place could be amazing if it were refubrished and keept up and redecorated by someome other the Red-Green. The restereaunt next door is overe priced trying to be fancy with table cloths but itis a dumpy bar. Keeep it a bar and have a pub menue and that is fine, but to make it seem like formal dining is a joke and overpriced for comercial food.So if you are looking for a place to sty when riding though the area, it is clean and cheap.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 June 2013

We went here for our honeymoon since we only had a weekend and it wasn't far from home. We stayed in the Cave Room, which was very interesting and I thought was kinda cool. I did feel it was quite a bit overpriced. We walked around the hotel and it seemed a bit run down and not maintained as well as it should have been. There were lots of interesting things to see in the lobby.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Ok, let's be honest, its not the Hilton. But, hey, you are not in NYC! Yes, its worn and certainly seen better days, but this place was a blessing for my family! After a long day at the House on the Rock, I was pleasantly surprised by the cozy feel and friendly staff. I was offered a larger room to accommodate my pack n play. My kids are 9 and 7 and they couldn't wait to get to the airplane and then the pool. It is mostly indoor with a swim path to the outside. They have free pool toys, so no need to pack them! After, we we went upstairs to "play" a little pool. They also had ping pong, foosball, checkers and a giant cribbage board! The breakfast left much to be desired, but it helped us get started. Just bagels and bread mostly. But, I really can't complain. Very happy and would recommend the Don Q!

Room Tip: If you are traveling with your significant other, don't forget to ask about the Fantasy Suites...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 June 2013

Let's start with the bottom line... if you like goofy theme rooms at oddball hotels, then this is the place for you when you come to visit the House On The Rock.

It's goofy, in a good way.

We spent two nights in the Cave Room (pix included). The bed was comfortable, the tub was a lot of fun, it was quiet as can be and there were no bats.

A couple of "downsides", the cave room's floor is not even, it's multi-level so you need to be VERY SURE FOOTED and not really minding getting a toe stubbed if you visit the (thankfully modern) bathroom. Also, it's a cave, so don't expect internet service. We had none in two days (the hotel's was working, there was just no signal in the cave).

Everything is a bit dated, but honestly it's a cave, so just deal with it.

Breakfast we skipped (it was very, very sparse). The pool is indoor/outdoor and of decent size.

Better breakfast and internet in my room would have given it 5 stars...

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KennethRMitchell
Reviewed 1 January 2013

The photos on the web site, the reviews here on TA, how could we not stay there when in the area? Went with the Casino suite, one of the more tame themed rooms. (We're grownups, so why not have a little fun when traveling?!) Bed was comfortable, bathroom was clean. Make sure to prowl around the place and see some of the history. The continental breakfast in the lobby offers basic breads, fruit and cereal. Be sure to eat at the restaurant next door (Sam & Maddie's, accessible from the hotel via the tunnel) - good food, reasonable prices.

Room Tip: Try a themed suite for fun!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JMLMississippi
Reviewed 4 November 2012

If your looking for something different , then this is the place for you. Not only is it clean, convenient. But there are tons of cool things to look at ( History of the place ) . Really old things every where. Every time I walk through the lobby I find something else that I missed before. There are all these cool themed rooms and a long tunnel that goes from the hotel to the restaurant. Oh yeah, also very fast wireless internet.
Now, if your looking for the Hilton or Holiday Inn Express this place is not for you. Don Q Inn is for normal people who like the warm rustic feeling where the staff makes you feel at home and welcome.
I will be back again any time I'm within 50 miles of this place. I'll make the drive. I'm here on work but I'm thinking about bringing my wife and kids up here. They would like it as much as I do.

Thank You for reading.
Paul H.

Room Tip: I have only seen my room but it was very clean and nice. I have no complaints.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Paul H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dodgeville
Best Western Dodgeville Inn & Suites
GrandStay Hotel & Suites Mount Horeb
Deer Valley Lodge & Golf
Deer Valley Lodge & Golf
#1 of 1 in Barneveld

Been to Don Q Inn? Share your experiences!