“A nice quaint hotel in a peaceful part of Wisconsin”
Review of The Valley' Motel

The Valley' Motel
The Valley' Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dresser
Hudson, Wisconsin
“A nice quaint hotel in a peaceful part of Wisconsin”
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I don't know what 63MrJ was talking about. I stayed their for a weekend late last fall. The second time I stayed there in 2 years. Sure this wasn't the Ritz-Carlton, but Dresser is not New York either. It's a very peaceful near the border town. The room I stayed in was very clean, not extra fancy, but I didn't pay for extra fancy either. It was reasonably priced and very clean. The owner, Jessie, was very pleasant and gave wonderful recommendations. I think some people complain so they get something free. I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Jainee S

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Mukwonago
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I stayed at the Valley Motel for 5 nights in September of 2013. This is absolutely the worst motel I have ever stayed in - in the world!! My choice of this motel was based on their description online and the online rate of $175 for a week and an additional $5 off coupon also found on the internet. Upon check in they would not offer either the price or the coupon because "their internet provider had not changed the pricing over as yet and they have no control over that." The price was posted in August and still is posted one month after my stay. The motel room was a dark, dirty and dreary dump but I was stuck there for a week.
For starters the door lock was not a deadbolt and had perhaps 1/2" of play in the lock, the "free phone calls" would not work because the phone did not work, the bathroom exhaust did not work, the sink and toilet was badly stained and crazed, the room had a musty smell, the air conditioner worked in that it blew somewhat cool air but the temperature could not be controlled because they removed the knobs that control outside air inlet and temperature control, the carpet was heavily soiled, the TV remote did not work, the bathroom linens were torn, dirty and shabby, and the bedspreads and sheets had stains on both. "Clean towels" were provided only once during the 5 days and no clean sheets.
On the third day of my stay when the linens were replaced I came back to the room to find a soiled washed cloth on the vanity. I thought maybe they had left a cleaning rag by mistake - wrong! When I looked up at the replacement towels etc they were all a definite shade of dingy grey and ALL were dirty, stained and soiled. I took them to the front desk and asked for new washcloths. I asked why they were even put in the room and did they know that bleach could be used in the wash machine. My answer was "people use those clothes to wash their cars - what do you expect!" I expect that you don't put them in the rooms for guests to use for bathing!!!
DO NOT - for any reason - stay at this motel. Everything in this place has been there since the '60s and they do not deserve anybody's business.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
7 Thank Bradley J

Travellers are raving about these Dresser hotels

California
Reviewed 5 September 2011

I will give this motel one star (circle) higher than the reviewer who called it the Bates Motel, because the owners were friendly and hospitable. They gave me a good recommendation for dinner, and cheerfully and promptly mailed back the blouse I forgot there. However, the reviewer is absolutely right that this is no bed & breakfast. I didn't have any maintenance problems with the toilet, etc. but the room was dreary, dated and shabby, although clean. (I got a kick out of the sign under the bed, "Yes, we clean here too." I wasn't checking under the bed. I saw the sign accidentally.) Note that the aerial view on the motel's website shows it nestled amidst greenery. Another photo zooms in on trees in their fall colors. These pictures are very shrewdly posted, avoiding an eye level view of the motel, which might show its true colors. This motel doubles as low cost apartments renting by the week. That makes it a haven for transients. Not the company I want to keep when lugging around $1,000 plus dollars worth of photographic equipment. I stayed here one night only and carried all equipment with me when I went to dinner rather than leaving it in the room. Paranoid? Maybe. Better safe than sorry. I had attempted to book two nights here when planning a national park trip of Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Iowa. (Dresser is close to the St. Croix National Scenic Riverway.) I couldn't get the booking for two nights since the owner told me he was fully booked the second night with a wedding party. That in itself sounded like a good recommendation, as you would expect anyone planning a wedding to find pleasant accommodations for guests. When I got to the motel I was asked to verify that I would be staying only one night. The implication was that the room was available for longer if I wanted it. The next morning I noted the Vacancy sign up. Did the wedding party have a change of heart? If so, I wish them well and thank them for making my stay one night only instead of two. One was plenty enough.

Owners of this place are friendly, have a computer available for guests in the lobby (valuable to me since I don't travel with a computer), gave me a good recommendation for dinner, and cheerfully and promptly mailed me back a garment I forgot there. However, the lack of maintenance made me uncomfortable. Being an experienced traveler, I can live with it, but there's another problem here that to me is more serious.

Room Tip: The best rooms are in some other motel.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank TravelinBrat
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Enjoyed our stay, very clean and very up todate a fun find.

Room Tip: Ward's Bar just up State St had very good burgers and friendly people.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank surestop
Rhinelander, Wisconsin
Reviewed 17 January 2011

We chose this motel because of a reference on a B&B site and because it was half-way between our relatives and home.
Their website says:
"We have 24 individually decorated rooms, each with the feel of a B&B. We have the time and resource to give each of our rooms special attention."

This is bull%$#@. They suggest that they're like a bed and breakfast, but have no breakfast and hardly a bed. The room was dark, dreary, and drafty. The handle of the mini-refrigerator was held on by electrical tape. We kept our single item that needed refrigeration on the floor close to the door where it nearly froze. The toilet seat was broken and we could hear the neighbor brush and flush.
We could see through the badly worn sheets and the bedspreads were dated and shabby. The pillows were worn out five years ago. While the sink, shower and toilet were clean enough, the bathroom fan was wildly noisy and threatened to drop its heavy coat of filth at any second. The carpet was grungy, to say the least. The cheap formica furniture was chipped and rickety. The electric heat assured absolutely no humidity.
We were defrauded. What was supposed to be a fun night at a quaint motel with "the feel of a B&B" became a nightmare with the feeling of The Bates Motel. The rate was cheap, but not worth it.
Stay somewhere else.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
11 Thank OCJBr2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dresser
Holiday Inn Express St. Croix Valley
Holiday Inn Express St. Croix Va...
#1 of 2 in Saint Croix Falls
Rodeway Inn
Rodeway Inn
#2 of 2 in Chisago City
GrandStay Hotel & Suites Chisago City
AmericInn Hotel & Suites New Richmond
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Forest Lake
Osceola River Valley Inn

Been to The Valley' Motel? Share your experiences!