“Great place to stay and play!”
Review of Chanticleer Inn

Chanticleer Inn
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Eagle River
La Crosse, Wisconsin, United States
“Great place to stay and play!”
Reviewed 18 July 2012

We have stayed at the Chanticleer many times and while some of the poor reviews correctly capture some "personality" opportunities...I tend to place HIGH emphasis on how clean a place is...the Chanticleer motel rooms are the cleanest accomodations I have found and compare equally for cleanlness with some 5 star hotels I have stayed in...IMHO if Jake was friendlier and trined is staff appropriately he would have a top notch establishment that he could charge an extra $10-20 a night for...but the business isn't easy and I realize that...but if cleanliness and comfort is what you are looking for...it doesn't get much better!

Room Tip: Unit 58 is great! Motel room on the end facing the water! Great for early risers as the sun comes...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wayne O
chanticleerinn, Owner at Chanticleer Inn, responded to this review, 3 December 2012
Thank You for taking the time to write this review...clean rooms, enjoy the location of room 58, enjoy the sunrises from the waterfront deck of #58, comfort, & hopefully we'll see you again. Jake WILL be friendlier!

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Waukesha, Wisconsin
Reviewed 14 June 2012

I had blocked 12 MOTEL rooms for my wedding in October. As soon as I found out we had very unsuccessfully planned our wedding the same weekend as Cranberry Fest I started calling to make blocks at multiple locations. There was absolutely NO problem when making the block at the Chanticleer a couple months ago. However my fiancé and I went up to Eagle River for wedding to do's and decided to check out the Chanticleer, it being one of the motels we had rooms blocked at for our guests to reserve. I

Upon inquiring about the location of the rooms our guests would be able to book, I was told they only had 5 blocked not 12. Then after talking to the front desk yesterday morning finding out they were freely giving away our rooms to people not with our wedding, I was assured there would be 12 rooms. ok. After returning home and checking my notes, I called to make sure this would be the case and that the price we put on our save the dates (that were sent out just over a week ago now) would be honored even if the type of room was not available, due to the Chanticleer error.

I was given a few different stories by the man that answered the phone. He said he was "trying to work with me", when in actuality he was being condescending, rude, and not helpful at all. It went from "did we send you a letter?" for what he never did state, to "We will have 12 rooms, but they won't all be able to be at the price quoted" the prices would actually be 20-30$ more before taxes, to "we don't even do room blocks, you'll have to put a deposit down on each room to save them." WHAT? Your business practices are obviously VERY INCONSISTENT, you do not communicate anything amongst each other at the front desk, OR to your guests!! I was so excited to have our family stay here during our wedding b/c it is so pretty, but due to their very poor and unprofessional manner of dealing with this BIG mistake on THEIR part, I am trying to make sure all other rooms at the other 3 hotels are booked first. I do not want to bring any business to the Chanticleer. It is a busy weekend, and they may get the business anyway, but my family or friends will no longer guarantee it to them. If there was a problem with the price, with the block, with the dates, with the room type, etc it is THEIR responsibility to call me, email me, send me a letter (as was inquired about by them) to verify whatever it was they needed verified to follow through with their commitment to us for our wedding day in the North woods. I made this block over two months ago and have heard nothing in the mean time. This has been the first and hopefully only big hiccup of this wedding planning.

My suggestion to any brides thinking of using the Chanticleer for ANYTHING to do with their wedding, get EVERYTHING in writing...MAYBE that will help, but I'd just avoid the place all together so you know that you will be treated with respect even if you did not realize their was a big ol' festival in the area the same weekend you decided to plan your wedding. Apparently that is far more important to them.

God bless and good luck.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank HpyinLiFe

Travellers are raving about these Eagle River hotels

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Headed to Eagle River, Wisconsin in late September to revisit this town which had been the childhood vacation spot of my boyfriend. The Chanticleer Inn is located right on Voyageur Lake. Although there are villas available, we stayed in the motel which was adjacent to the lakeshore and tennis court. After coming from Chicago, sounds of the leaves rustling in the wind provided a calm respite.

The motel room with a king-sized bed was quiet and very clean. The room featured a small fridge (not stocked, thankfully) which gave us room to store our beverages and fruit, as well as a small coffeemaker with tasty coffee and tea. Although towels were plentiful, there was a curious lack of towel racks. At least one more towel rack would have been helpful or even a hook behind the bathroom door. This particular room had no tub and one of the smallest shower stalls I've ever seen, so anyone bigger than "average" be warned -- you won't possibly fit your entire body in the stall!

Chanticleer has a pub serving lunch and a fine dining restaurant serving dinner. A variety of entrees were available with steaks being the main emphasis. Service was cheerful and leisurely. There was no breakfast service but there are a number of cafes in Eagle River serving hearty breakfasts.

Overall, Chanticleer provided a pleasant rustic retreat among the late September glorious fall colors and soaring eagles of the North Woods.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
chanticleerinn, Owner at Chanticleer Inn, responded to this review, 7 March 2013
THANK YOU for your kind words!!! We look forward to your return!
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 8 October 2011

I spent three days there and I could have easily spent the rest of my life there. I absolutely love nature and the Chanticleer Inn is the single most amazing place I have ever stayed in. The incredible beauty that surrounds the place during the Fall is breathtaking. I stayed in one of the condos with ,my girlfriend and I have nothing but great things to say about it. The place we got was amazing. Incredibly clean and the decor was fantastic. Loved having a full kitchen with all the kitchen supplies you need to cook anything. Really loved that feature. The rooms were amazing and the beds were absolutely perfect, slept great the whole time I was there. The deck that overlooked Dollar Lake was incredibly gorgeous. Got to see loons one beautiful early morning. Loved the living room with a cozy fireplace and a 36" plasma TV. The restaurant and bar on the property were very inviting and had great food and drinks. There was so much beauty to that place that it made walks with my girlfriend so romantic. I could go on and on and on about how incredible this place is. For what you pay a day there it is totally worth it and I am eager to get back up there and spend more time there. Just book your time there, you will be incredibly happy you did.

Room Tip: Definitely splurge and get one of the condos. Totally makes the whole stay worth it.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed 16 September 2011

You can't beat the view, it's right on the lake. A private little section of beach too. The rooms we stayed in were the "hotel/motel" rooms. Nothing fancy, very small. We had two adults and two little kids. It was OK. The restaurant waiting time was way too long for our kids, more than an hour. Overall for the price, you get what you pay for. We might go back.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank momtraveler01
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 19 July 2011

When we were shown our room the stench of mold overwhelmed us. The mattress on the bed sagged. The couch had an odor. The ceramic in the tub was worn down to metal and a tiny dorm refrigerator was on a rickety tabble in the closet. The carpet was worn and looked dirty.

Of course, you had to pay in full before checking in....

NOTHING remotely similar to the website!

Donyourself a favornand avoid this place at all costs.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
8 Thank SouthsideChicago43
We appologize for the condition of this room...it was a privately owned condo that we managed at that time...we no longer rent this owner unit. We hope we get the opportunity to serve you again in one of our newly remodeled (3/13) motel rooms or suites overlooking the water. Or in one of our lakeside villas. Thank You!
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed 30 April 2010

My husband and I and our one-year old had planned a nice fall week in Eagle River (our first family vacation with our son). We arrived to a beautiful hotel and great weather. We stayed in a two bedroom cottage with a nice deck overlooking a waterway linking two of the chain of lakes. The restaurant had great food for dinner and let us take it back to our cottage when our one year old got a little fiesty. There is a serene lake and beach just a block or two walk through a scenic path from the main hotel. We know we would have loved our entire week there. Unfortunately, on the second morning after our arrival, we learned that my husband's mother in Nebraska (who had been battling cancer) had taken a turn for the worse and was not expected to make it through the day. (She in fact died that evening.) We immediately packed up and informed the front desk we had to break our reservation. The staff was very understanding and only charged us for the night(s) we were there. We have not been able to get back there yet (now we have 2 little ones) but we hope to soon, especially after how wonderfully we were treated in such an emergency situation.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled with family