“Lodge-like property on lake chain with fun bar and restaurant”
Review of Chanticleer Inn

Chanticleer Inn
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Eagle River
San Diego, California
“Lodge-like property on lake chain with fun bar and restaurant”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

We loved the Chanticleer for its all-round value in a tucked-away part of Wisconsin's recreational landscape. The lodge-like property sits on the shore of the nation's longest chain of lakes, which attracts a steady parade of boaters. Most stop at the Chanticleer's bar, which by 5 p.m. is a frenzy of friendly activity. From the bar, inn guests can slide into the restaurant for a fish dinner, then head for the hay a short walk away, all without having to navigate a car. What could be better? Our room was clean and comfortable, and had a large deck and lakeside view. Family-owned, the Chanticleer has been around for a long time; delightful black-and-white photographs in the rooms showcase the property back more than 50 years. Glamorous? No. Fun? Yes! Be sure to reserve for dinner when you reserve a room. The place is popular with locals.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We have been staying at this place in one way or another, meaning motel rooms, villas, suites and condos, for the past twenty years. The Chanticleer is not a brand new resort with flashy amenities and exorbitant prices. If you are looking for appearances and a big bill, yes, you could go elsewhere, however, you would be missing the magnificent view, newly redecorated rooms, decent restaurant and a warm atmosphere. And although there have been a few bumps on the road over the past 20 years, overall this is a wonderful place. Our last visit was just this past weekend and we can't wait to go back for the fall colors. My advice would be to give it a try in spite of the less than stellar reviews, don't expect 5 Star accommodations and enjoy the fact that you came!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Davenport, Florida
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I normally do not take time to do this, but this was such poor service and general lack of caring by staff that my recommendation is to skip this place. The rooms smelled, were not cleaned for the 4 nights we were there. It rained and mud was tracked into bathroom, but I used a washcloth to wipe floor. Had to go into town to buy air freshened so we could stay there. And they had the gall to leave an envelope in the room for a housekeeping tip. The blind for the front window was broken when we arrived. Was taken away to fix-thus no privacy until after 8 pm because they were too busy! Also found out the last night that there was a beach just for guests - no one ever told us.

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank Sue M

Travellers are raving about these Eagle River hotels

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 7 October 2012

Stayed for four days on a fishing trip at Chanticleer Inn. Accommodations were nice. Room was clean. Food in the restaurant was good. Rented a boat and the equipment worked well.

Biggest issue was that we were not welcomed there. Went to the restaurant on Wednesday night after we got off of the lake. We were four guys that didn't look too pretty. When we asked for seating, we asked if we could eat dinner in the bar area. The person (possibly the owner) answered " we normally don't do that." So he sat us in the main dining area (where he wanted us). The food was good in the dining area.

Now here are four guys (two sixty year olds and two 30 year olds) that wanted to sit in the bar area, eat dinner and have a few beers and he didn't want us there. We talked about that experience each day while on the boat.

We're not too sensitive of a group (four guys) but three of us work in businesses that require great service to clients or diners.

Chanticleer Inn; Nice place, but... customer service and a smile would make this a great place to go back to.

Room Tip: Try to eat in the bar area. It does have a nice view of the channel between the lakes
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank thomas C
chanticleerinn, Owner at Chanticleer Inn, responded to this review, 3 December 2012
Thank You for bringing this to our attention! We're glad you enjoyed the accommodations, boat, fishing, & our resort. The setting for your well deserved dinner was obviously an issue, and I apologize for this inconvenience! I thought a nice table by the window overlooking the lake was what would be more comfortable for the 4 of you, rather than bar stools. I was obviously wrong, & indeed feel badly...I'm sorry. I hope we get the opportunity to redeem ourselves. YOU are important and we want you to feel WELCOME!
Portage, Wisconsin
Reviewed 29 July 2012

My husband and I and our family have stayed at the Chanticleer four times. We usually get one of their villas because they are large enough for our family and you can cook in their small kitchens. In times past, the actual rooms/villas are only average at best (kind of older and shabby). The reason we stay there is because they allow dogs and that is pretty much it. The service is slim to none because we are the ones who clean our room and take out the garbage and leave the place cleaner than when we came. The customer service is nonexistent and even rude. Normally we don't have to deal with the owner except at check in but unfortunately this year we did. We had a horrible experience of being lied to about your boat rental charges and our room as well. We were supposed to stay for four nights but we checked out after only one night and my husband injuring himself very badly on one of their pontoons. We expected to be charged two nights and a half day boat rental but were charged for four nights and everyday for the boat. Originally we were told twe only would be charged if we took the boat out but later the manager told us he didn't know who told us that and he also doesn't do half day rentals even though his website clearly said he does. Basically, if you don’t need to bring a furry friend, then don't stay here. Yes, it is on the chain but so are many other places and staying at a place that has some integrity is very important. We usually end-up spending over two thousand dollars per stay and after the way we were treated this last time, we will never stay here again. The owner and his staff need to learn some consistency in their service and honor what they tell their guests. As another reviewer said, get it in writing or this place will penny pinch every last dollar they can get!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Kbreezy
Thank You for staying at the Chanticleer 4 times...having FUN each time, so that you wanted to return! We thank you for this , as we try to ensure our guests a good time,so they will return! That is one of the reasons we have been in business since 1951. We feel badly about your husband getting injured, which seems to be a contributing factor in cutting your trip short, which caused this set of unfortunate experiences. We hope you husband's injuries were short lived & he has made a full recovery. Thank You for expressing your concerns, & we hope we could have a chance to redeem ourselves...we'd like you to be some of the thousands of satisfied/happy customers/friends from around the world of Chanticleer Inn.
La Crosse, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed 18 July 2012

We have stayed at the Chanticleer many times and while some of the poor reviews correctly capture some "personality" opportunities...I tend to place HIGH emphasis on how clean a place is...the Chanticleer motel rooms are the cleanest accomodations I have found and compare equally for cleanlness with some 5 star hotels I have stayed in...IMHO if Jake was friendlier and trined is staff appropriately he would have a top notch establishment that he could charge an extra $10-20 a night for...but the business isn't easy and I realize that...but if cleanliness and comfort is what you are looking for...it doesn't get much better!

Room Tip: Unit 58 is great! Motel room on the end facing the water! Great for early risers as the sun comes...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Wayne O
Thank You for taking the time to write this review...clean rooms, enjoy the location of room 58, enjoy the sunrises from the waterfront deck of #58, comfort, & hopefully we'll see you again. Jake WILL be friendlier!
Waukesha, Wisconsin
Reviewed 14 June 2012

I had blocked 12 MOTEL rooms for my wedding in October. As soon as I found out we had very unsuccessfully planned our wedding the same weekend as Cranberry Fest I started calling to make blocks at multiple locations. There was absolutely NO problem when making the block at the Chanticleer a couple months ago. However my fiancé and I went up to Eagle River for wedding to do's and decided to check out the Chanticleer, it being one of the motels we had rooms blocked at for our guests to reserve. I

Upon inquiring about the location of the rooms our guests would be able to book, I was told they only had 5 blocked not 12. Then after talking to the front desk yesterday morning finding out they were freely giving away our rooms to people not with our wedding, I was assured there would be 12 rooms. ok. After returning home and checking my notes, I called to make sure this would be the case and that the price we put on our save the dates (that were sent out just over a week ago now) would be honored even if the type of room was not available, due to the Chanticleer error.

I was given a few different stories by the man that answered the phone. He said he was "trying to work with me", when in actuality he was being condescending, rude, and not helpful at all. It went from "did we send you a letter?" for what he never did state, to "We will have 12 rooms, but they won't all be able to be at the price quoted" the prices would actually be 20-30$ more before taxes, to "we don't even do room blocks, you'll have to put a deposit down on each room to save them." WHAT? Your business practices are obviously VERY INCONSISTENT, you do not communicate anything amongst each other at the front desk, OR to your guests!! I was so excited to have our family stay here during our wedding b/c it is so pretty, but due to their very poor and unprofessional manner of dealing with this BIG mistake on THEIR part, I am trying to make sure all other rooms at the other 3 hotels are booked first. I do not want to bring any business to the Chanticleer. It is a busy weekend, and they may get the business anyway, but my family or friends will no longer guarantee it to them. If there was a problem with the price, with the block, with the dates, with the room type, etc it is THEIR responsibility to call me, email me, send me a letter (as was inquired about by them) to verify whatever it was they needed verified to follow through with their commitment to us for our wedding day in the North woods. I made this block over two months ago and have heard nothing in the mean time. This has been the first and hopefully only big hiccup of this wedding planning.

My suggestion to any brides thinking of using the Chanticleer for ANYTHING to do with their wedding, get EVERYTHING in writing...MAYBE that will help, but I'd just avoid the place all together so you know that you will be treated with respect even if you did not realize their was a big ol' festival in the area the same weekend you decided to plan your wedding. Apparently that is far more important to them.

God bless and good luck.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple