“Awesome customer service!”

Eagle River Inn & Resort
Ranked #8 of 12 Hotels in Eagle River
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We came to the Eagle River Inn and Resort for a birthday party. We stayed for the weekend in the hotel. We were really impressed with the staff. They were very friendly and helpful. They went out if their way to make sure we had everything and anything we needed for our stay and also for the party. I would definetly stay there again and would recommend it to others too! The pool was basic, but really nice. Well maintained and very clean.

• Stayed: December 2013

Reviewed 23 November 2013

My dad and I stayed the weekend here and I can't wait to return. Now that Liz and Ron are back, things are starting to look up again. I love where the hotel is located the area in the back is so gorgeous. You can just sit bavk and relax and have a few drinks by a bon fire. I love the up north feeling. The resturant was great, I loved the food! They also have a new 3 season patio off the bar, it looks great! The swimming area is comfortable. Overall the experience is a double thumbs up!

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

This place is missing a great opportunity. Lovely river setting but the place is filthy. My room had stains in the furniture, dirty sock in closet, broken A/C, mold in shower, ripped screen door that was off the track, black stains on pillow case, mismatched sheets, spilled liquid down cupboard, dusty, torn and water stained curtain, spider web and bugs. Found long a black hair in the tub, in the bed, and on the towels. The pool area was dirty and every window in the hotel was smeared with grime. Absolute filthiest place I have ever stayed in.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank justtellingitasitis
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Well, where should I start? August 2013 Day 1, Check In, upon arrival we checked in and receive our keys to the room assigned to us. We open the side door of the hotel and the smell about knocks us out, strong smells of mildew and other odors. We walk up the stairs to our room, we enter our room and begin bringing our luggage in as we walk across the tile floor in the kitchen area our shoes stick to the floor as if walking on fly paper. we also experienced the same issues when we went into the bathroom, every step stick, stick, stick. So my wife and daughter and I placed all our luggage in the room and went to one of the local grocery stores for a weeks supplies of food and other items. Our room has a kitchen, (hot plate, sink and refrigerator with a broken toaster) and is also called the Presidential Suite, my wife and I decided to also pick up some cleaning supplies in order to do so cleaning. We purchased window cleaner, bathroom cleaner, a can of Lysol and a couple of other things. We get back to the room and my wife opens the refrigerator to put the eggs and other items that needs to be refrigerated and the whole bottom shelve as well as the bottom vegetable drawers was covered in what looked like brown soda. So my wife had to cleaned the refrigerator before we could place our food in it. We open the drawer where the knives, forks and other cooking utensils were being stored and the silverware was dirty and the drawers were full of crumbs and other things that had been there for quite sometime. We washed the dishes so we would have clean things to cook and eat off of and thought we were ready to settle down for the evening. I went to turn the the sheets on the bed and the bed was full of black body hair, since the hotel is not pet friendly we new what it was. That was the last straw, I called the from desk from my cell phone because the room phone didn't look like something you would want to hold up to your mouth. After speaking with the women who had given me the keys to the room and telling her of my concerns, she quickly showed up at our rooms with clean linens. Before she started to change the sheets, I addressed the other issues showing her the dirty drawers in the kitchen, asking her to walk on the floors, and showing her the other problems. Her first response before even changing the sheets was, I need to go and get the owners so that they themselves can view the condition of the room. She left and after about ten minutes she returned with Liz. We were told that Liz and her husband Ron are the owners, they had taken repossession of the hotel after the last owner could not meet his land contract of payment responsibilities back in May of the year. She showed Liz the condition of the room and Liz appeared honestly upset that the room was presented to us for use in that condition. Her first response was that she would move us down the hall to another room. After checking the room that she thought may be available and finding out that it had already been rented out to another family, Liz and the front desk worker began to clean our room, the bed was stripped and with no comforter on the bed you could see under the bed. There was food under the bed pretzels, and other food items. The front desk person who in my opinion worked like three people was on her hands and knees vacuuming under the bed. Not only did she find food but a bible that had been there for quite some time by the amount of dust that had accumulated of the cover. The front desk women got the room vacuumed and Liz returned with a box of Swifter pads and a mop to do the floors, I helped her more the kitchen chairs and table on to the carpeted area and she mopped the kitchen floor and then went on to mop the bathroom floors. She finished mopping and we place the table and chairs back on the kitchen floor, Liz then went on to assist in the changing of the sheets on our bed and the bed that our nine year old daughter would sleep in. The bathroom was then wiped down and gone over. They finished, apologized and left. The front desk worker had left her clipboard with here room information on the nightstand so my wife suggested that I run it down to her, she had work like a trooper to try and clean the room for us and was also very apologetic about the whole situation that I felt it was the right thing to do. So I ran it down to her and after she thanked me for doing so, I ran into the man that Liz also had come and check our refrigerator because it felt warm. The man expressed himself by telling me that if I didn't like it there that I could take my family and go somewhere else, now mind you that we just drove seven and a half hours to get there, it took Liz and the front desk women almost an hour to clean our room to a point that we felt that we could be comfortable for the six days remaining in our stay there and this guy tells me if I'm not happy to take my family and go somewhere else. The guy turns out to be Ron, Liz's husband and co owner of the Eagle River Inn. I later found this out from the front desk person. Well I was too tired and not going to put my family out any further, nor was he going to run me off by being rude and acting up. So we stayed the remainder of of vacation. Enjoying ourselves away from the hotel, we have been going to Eagle River for sixteen years and know many of the locals and theirs families. A great place with great people! But back to our stay, at the Eagle River Inn. The hot plate that we used to cook our meals on barely worked, the toaster had no crumb tray on the bottom and in order to brown the toast we had to remove the bread and turn it around to brown both sides. The bathtub had mold and mildew growing around the top edges of the tub itself. The mattresses had not been changed in years and were wore out. The night stands next to the beds had not been cleaned or vacuumed behind in months, my daughter dropped her necklace down behind one and I had to pull it out from the wall and was full of dust and cobwebs. Looking out our balcony at the grounds we had a wonderful view of the lake and the grounds, until you look down at the fire pit area and see a half dozen or so empty beer bottles and a white plastic bag of garbage that laid there on the ground for four days. The balcony had wet towels from the previous family that rented the room that remained on the deck while we there and may still be there. Bottom line there are a lot of other facilities the stay at in Eagle River, we chose this one because the pictures of the Inn on there website looked great and and we looking for a room with a kitchenette. So that we could cook our own meals. Bottom line the Eagle River Inn is run down and in dire need of repairs and up keep. We will never recommended this facility to anyone and tell everyone about our experience there, from the conditions to the owner's terrible attitude. The location was perfect but the problems that went along with it isn't worth the aggravation that we experienced. While checking out on our last day we saw Liz and explained to here the other problems that we had found in the room. And suggested that they consider closing down one room at a time and bringing them back up to a presentable condition. Her response was, kind of hard to do during the peak rental season. Anyone that travels and rents a room to stay in regardless if for one night or one month, should have a room that is clean and free of filth. PERIOD! I know that Ron and Liz would not put up with it they rented a room so why should they think anyone else should, and not feel like they should say anything. Bottom line, don't stay at the Eagle River Inn, there are a lot of great places just book early and shop around for a good deal on room prices. We write this review as a family looking to prevent other families from having a bad experience, that is not what a family vacation is all about. God Bless and be well!

Room Tip: Our room was in terrible condition, I have no suggestion as to any of the others.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 July 2013

We very much enjoyed our 4 night stay here.
Other reviewers have panned the carpeting, room furniture, breakfast and other issues, but we were happy. It's right on the confluence of the Eagle River, the Mud River, and the Wisconsin River and the views and grounds couldn't have been better for us. The grounds include a large grassy lawn on probably about 600' of shoreline, with a pond, benches, picnic tables, grills, and fire pits. There are 10 piers from which to fish or swim, and row boats available for $10/half day.
Our room opened onto the lawn, with a wonderful view of the water. We heard loons in the morning and at night, deer walked right across the lawn, ducks swam in the river, and of course there was the fabulous North Woods look of trees growing right down to the water across the river.
I agree with others that the carpet is dingy, the furniture is worn, and the breakfast basic. On the other hand the location is good (just outside the busy-ness of Eagle River), the lobby is just what I like in the North Woods, the staff were the best I've come across in many many travels, and the grounds/view was definitely worth it. Also, we found the owner friendly and funny, not grouchy.
We located other Inns we had considered in the Eagle River area, and were happy to be where we were.

Room Tip: I wouldn't stay here unless I had a room on the river side.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I've been here every summer for 3 years (not my choice but a family member insists we stay here) and I have to say that the owner does not care about what his place looks like.

OUTSIDE - Weeds growing up around the building, weeds hitting your legs as your walking down to the docks and all of the spider webs all over made me cringe. There are old stained chairs down on the docks that I'm sure have been there since the 80's. Throw them out! The outdoor furniture has detoriated and the finish on them are all chaulky leaving your clothes stained from the paint being bleached by the sun. It doesn't take a fortune to buy new chairs and tables for the place and do a walk through with a broom to get rid of all the spider webs. Also, the gliders by the firepit are all rusted and very run down to the point I didn't know if I should even sit on them in fear of breaking them.

ROOMS - The beds are VERY hard (I need to see a chiropractor after my stay there), carpeting is dirty (the bottoms of my feet got dirty from walking on them barefoot). The sink in the room (not the bathroom), yes there are sinks in the rooms, has poor drainage. You can not brush your teeth in them without the sink having 3-4 inches of standing water. The decor and bedding needs updating badly. I feel like I'm in an old $19.95 a night motel.

POOL AREA - The main thing that I can not stand about this place is the pool area. It has NO ventilation and it feels like a sauna in there. I sweat up a storm just sitting there watching the kids swim. The decking going into the pool area is painted with dark brown paint and if you don't have shoes on, you burn your feet walking into the pool area. Who paints their deck with dark brown paint when it's in full sun!?!?!?

RESTAURANT - This year's food was way better than last year's but once again, it needs a major overhaul. I also think the decor was purchased in the 80's. The waitress wasn't prompt in helping with our needs and it took forever to get our food (over an hour wait after we ordered) and I feel that good clean hygiene goes a long way. It was hard to look our waitress in the face since all of her front teeth were rotten and not brushed. Now, I can understand that some people can't afford health care but come on, brush your teeth! I do have to say that our food was delicious and it was worth the wait. :-)

STAFF - The front desk staff had no personality and I felt like I was imposing on them if I asked a question. (TIP - If you don't like your job....get a different one)

CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST - Although better than last year (only because they added a waffle maker), it still sucks. The first morning I was there, the pastries and bagels were almost gone and there was still another 1 1/2 hours to go. It wasn't restocked and I had to ask the front desk for some more milk. No fresh fruit other than oranges and most of the tables were too small to eat on. There are a few larger tables but I would have liked to see ALL of them be that size. If you sit at a small table, you only have room for 2 people to eat at it and you have to be very strategic at placing your items on the table because of it's size. Oh, they are also very wobbly. No hard boiled eggs which would have been nice.

Whoever reads this I'm sure you would think that I hate this place. Well, that's not all true, it has it's pros and cons, just more cons in my opinion. I strongly feel that if the owner would take time to update this place he would get more business (and happier guests) and he could also charge more for the rooms. This has a great location but I would rather pay more for something nicer and forgo the location but since it's not my choice where we stay, I have to tolerate all of the things wrong with this place.

Room Tip: Recommend getting a lake side room on the first floor so you have a patio door to walk right out to...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 March 2013

Like another reviewer, my husband & I stayed here previously. This time it seems that maintenance issues are not being taken care of and the place is starting to show signs of wear, especially in the rooms/bathrooms.

No one from management is on property after 10 p.m.

The computer in the lobby which had previously been available for guest use has been removed.

The "breakfast" included with the room price has been moved out of the lobby and into a new location. It was one of the poorest examples of "breakfast" I have seen. No yogurt, juice, fresh fruit, or any protein such as sausage or even hard boiled eggs. We basically were left with oatmeal and unappealing looking pastries.

We paid $79 per night for the room. Under the circumstances, the rooms and facility are over priced.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
#4 of 12 in Eagle River
Northwoods Inn & Suites
Northwoods Inn & Suites
#6 of 7 in Minocqua

Been to Eagle River Inn & Resort? Share your experiences!