“Looking forward to going again!”
Review of Victor's Mexican Restaurant - CLOSED

Victor's Mexican Restaurant
Cuisines: Mexican
Nekoosa, Wisconsin
“Looking forward to going again!”
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Before a recent hockey game we decided to meet a few friends for supper. On the suggestion of one of them living in Eagle River we decided to try out Victor's (also located near the rink). Needless to say, we were impressed with what we found as we usually have to travel to Wausau or further to find a respectable Mexican restaurant to enjoy.

My wife enjoyed the Hawaiian Fajitas which were a "fun twist" in her words. I ordered the fish tacos and was happy with the results. Both of us had more than adequate proportions and the margaritas were well constructed too. Truly the only average part of the experience was the service, not because they did a poor job but because there is some room for improvement. By no means was it something that will keep us away as we are already planning to visit again soon. Northwoods or not, this is definitely among the better Mexican restaurants we've been to so we'd say "Give it a shot!".

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank SawDawg498

Eagle River, Wisconsin
“Big NO!”
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Where do I start...... Well the atmosphere is not even close to feeling like a mexican restaurant. In fact, the atmosphere feels like a cafeteria. I would think a mexican restaurant would have mexican music, bright colors, etc. But this atmosphere is just bla. Could use some plants and curtains too. I am over critical of these things because I am a business mentor, which they could use my help. As for the food, it was nothing spectacular. My sons hamburger was 2x the size of the bun, my enchilada's had no flavor and my husbands burrito came on a plate 2 times its size. Presentation was very poor. Service was ok.

• Visited November 2013
Alpha, Michigan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Find for the Northwoods!”
Reviewed 5 October 2013

One of the best Mexican meals I've had! The rice was seasoned really well, the beans were garlicy and yummy, my Plato Veracruz was extremely good! All you can eat chips and salsa! The owner was refilling them all night long! My Margaurita was also top-notch! Will visit again!

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank miakurtzy07
Wisconsin
“True Mexican Cuisine Arrives, As The Flavors of Akumal, Tulum and Cancun Are Here”
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Yes this is one of the best meals I ever had in a Mexican Restaurant. I compare this restaurant to some of the gourmet Mexican cuisine we have had been to in Mexico for over 30 years plus.

The problem of those that have not traveled to Mexico and I understand that some just cannot go for all kind of reasons. People here are so used to fast food type Mexican food through drive- thru types, that they don't get the real flavors of true Mexican Cuisine.

True Mexican food is prepared differently and not overly seasoned as they let the true flavors abound and present themselves on the platter, in my opinion.

Now comes Vicotors and it al changes that in the Northwood's

Victors is named after the two sisters father, who passed on and they wanted to honor him by naming this restaurant after him.

Victors is off to a good start and as any business learning is what its all about.

What I love is the minute you walk in the door you can hear the upbeat Mexican music, that will bring your thoughts of being down on a beach with palm trees swaying and a cold beverage in your hand.
Try it and you will see and hear it for yourself as there music is a great reminder.

Do begin your visit, they have soft drinks and other adult drinks available for your pleasure.

They are still working as they go getting things décor wise looking more like a true Mexican atmosphere every day.

You have yourself choices of tables or chairs and all size groups should not have a problem.

The waitress was over in a minute or so with chips and salsa and menus for us to review.

Have kids they offer a kids menu with several options as my grandkids chose refried beans, sweet potato fries and corn dogs. Now mind you the corn dogs were the largest ones I have ever seen any where and were really good. I say that because my little man made me try a bite and it was great. They also offer chicken tenders and a few other items for your little ones.

I ordered the Veredes which are three shredded chicken enchiladas made from scratch. You see here is where I say Victors Chef, Chef Mario is a Gourmet chef which I have seen typically down at the Gran Bahia Principe Tulum resort in Akumal, Mexico as well as others in Cancun and the Riviera Maya region.

The display and presentation were amazing as I have attached a picture to show the presentation and portion sizes. The flavor of the enchiladas that had cilantro, shredded cheese, lettuce, sour cream and then served with rice and beans.

I also ordered the chile releno with cheese as I like this green chile stuffed with fresh mozzarella is a great item full of excellent flavor and has to be tried.

Here is where the difference where fast food and real authentic made from scratch will make Victors the true Mexican Restaurant a winner in the long run. Refried beans that are not watered down to save a dollar, portion sizes are excellent and most have to take some home in a box.

Shrimp Tacos, Fish tacos are on the menu and these are items that are also very popular down in the Yucatan area and should do well here also.

My other party had the Jalisco in that too looked amazing with a lot of great flavor.

Yes they have real Mexican tacos, Fajitas, Burritos, and a variety of other items that you will have a hard time trying to choose the different flavors your craving.

They have a variety of Ala carte items, deserts and more here too.

Location: Very close to the famous Hockey Ice arena and easy find.

Prices and value: Excellent as they won't break the bank with a high tourist restaurant price, like some do in my opinion.

Overall: Victors keeps the prices reasonable so the locals can afford to go and eat and they will do well.

You truly can tell does take his work seriously and pride of it, as I chatted with him for a few minutes on my way out and he was happy that we complimented his work, as well as the wait staff.

So if you have a craving for something real and good, and your really wishing to try real Mexican food that is truly authentic and made from scratch as it is..

You will truly enjoy having a great example of gourmet dining presentations and tastes that are made fairly close to ones made down in the Yucatan areas and more then, take a day ride or a weekend trip to Eagle River and try Victors.

Visitor tip: In busy holiday date times, and event dates allow yourselves extra time as no matter, where you go in the Northwood's you will have to wait. Up here its just the nature of the tourist industry. So if you go in with that attitude and don't let a time schedule bother you, you all will enjoy yourself and your meal.

Overall: Good Mexican Music, Good Food, Good Prices and Good Atmosphere all equals a good relaxing time.

Go Enjoy : Snowman :O)

• Visited September 2013
3 Thank 724snowman
WI
“Very good addition to Eagle River”
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Since the departure of Taco Joe's, we had been missing Mexican food in Eagle River. Taking a recommendation from a friend, we visited Victor's & were happy with our meal. The fish tacos were amazing. We also tried shrimp tacos & pulled pork tacos. Generous portions & they were great about letting us order items a la carte. Margaritas were excellent too! The only thing I could think of as a suggestion would be to use less salt. Both the pulled pork & tacos were quite salty. Salsa was nice & spicy as well. We will be back!

Visited September 2013