“The best in town”

Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“The best in town”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

A review of this place has to be prefaced with the caveat that while it is the best restaurant in town, that is damning with faint praise. This place would never make it as a fine dining establishment in a real city. But it is fine, and we have always had a nice time here.

We try to eat here every summer, and if weather permits, like to sit out on the deck. While reservations are not accepted for groups under 8, if we call before we arrive and tell them we are coming, we usually get in w/i a reasonable amount of time, and if we have to wait, we go down to the Tipsy Turtle on the next block with the buzzer for a drink.

The food is all fine. This trip I had the veal Wellington and it was very nice. I had a mojito, and it was the worst I've ever had (but I've been to Havana), so I replaced it with something else from the specialty drinks (I don't remember what), and it was very good. Others enjoyed the pork, chicken, fish and ravioli. We had about half of the appetizers and they were all good. The wine list is pretentious and over priced; also, they don't always know what they are talking about (like the difference between filtered and unfiltered Newton). The service is always good. The food is always consistent. We always have a nice time and are treated well. It is the best you can find for a nice dinner out in Eagle.

1 Thank Deborah K

Westfield, Wisconsin
“Don't waster your time - literally!”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My husband and I dined here for lunch on a rare "date day". The restaurant wasn't busy when we arrived, a few tables on the patio and one other in the dining room. It took @ 10 minutes for the waitress to greet us after being seated and @ another 10 minutes to get sodas. After waiting 35 minutes for a french fry appetizer, we searched for the waitress to tell her we were leaving. She didn't hesitate to take our money for the sodas and was minimally apologetic, stating, "there are only two people in the kitchen and we just had a rush." I am not sure where the "rush" was, but it would have been nice to have been updated if there was going to be such a long wait...for an appetizer of french fries! After returning home, I emailed the restaurant to make them aware of our experience and left all of my contact information; never hearing anything in return. Don't waste your time when there are so many other dining establishments available in the area; those who actually care about the customer.

1 Thank Heather B
“Best place ever.”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

If you love wine like me...the Riverstone is the place you want to go! They have Cakebread Chardonnay and Stags Leap Artemis Cabernet by the the glass. Wow unheard of! Best wine, best food best restaurant in the northwoods!

Indianapolis, Indiana
“Not what it use to be”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Back when this was the Logging Camp Kitchen they had amazing food and a select but quality wine list. Each year since they have increased the diversity of their wine cellar and dropped the quality and interest of their food. It's not been a good choice in my view.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank jpadc
Middleton, Wisconsin
“Nothing but praise”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We arrived a little late in the evening and were made to feel as welcome as if we'd arrived for an early seating. The service and food were wonderful. My father had the Canadian walleye, which was excellent, and I had the Riverstone Reserve Salad--delicious! It's not often that a salad is memorable, but the combined flavors and textures of artisan cheese, strawberries, pecans, and added chicken was perfect. Service was attentive, but not intrusive. And the wine list was unexpectedly extensive with excellent choices.
It will definitely be a tradition to have at least one meal there every time I'm in Eagle River.

• Visited May 2014