Metropolis Resort
US$141
US$118
US$117
US$106
Quality Inn & Suites(Eau Claire)(Great Value!)
US$77
US$96
US$238
US$122
  • Restaurant
All reviewswater parkaction citygo kartslazy riverlaser tagthe pubbumper carsarcade gamesmini golfchaos waterparklocker roompizzawaterpark passesclimbing walldairy queenindoor waterparkspring break
Reviewed 28 October 2013

My first impression of this hotel is that it's somehow connected to UW-Stout and that the students of the Hospitality major run the hotel. I didn't see a staff person over the age of 22 for our entire stay. The rooms were OK...pretty outdated in decor and very noisy. There has been no effort for soundproofing. The waterpark is adequate too, however a little dingy and in need of an update. Breakfast was also OK...nothing special however it was a nice touch that there were hot items available - eggs, potatoes, monkey bread. My kids - ages 7 and 18 months - had a good time however I don't know if we'd return due to the dinginess of the pool area.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I stayed here while taking continuing education through UWEC, and this was the hotel they were promoting with the special rate of $70/night for the two day class. The hotel is set about 20 ft off the freeway amongst the car dealerships and open field. The exterior is unimpressive and grey. My first impression was that I was going to be staying at a kid infested tin factory. I wanted to avoid kids this time because this was an educational experience and pretty intense, I needed to be up early and ready for a long day of class. When I checked in they had the reservation wrong; I had reservations for 2 days but they were charging me for 3 days and there is a $7.95 "resort fee" per night! When I asked what that was about the desk clerk just kept saying" It's added into your grand total, that's all." I got my rom directions and then was told that I need to "energize" my room by putting my room key into the slot in the wall so the electricity in the room will work. Evidently, this is the way the TV, lights, and heat are run! And it's true, without the card in the wall, no heat, etc. It is an energy saving device. It is an annoyance. The décor is grey, and more gray, and black; in the halls and the room. Very dark, cold, and industrial. The room could have been ok if it was decorated differently, with some warmth, as it was large enough.. The walls were scuffed and the carpet was filthy. The room had an odor. The bed and bathroom were clean, but the finishes were cheap and starting to look worn before their time. It was comical that there was one tiny bar of soap for 2 sinks and a bathtub. There were ample outlets in the room, but none by the nightstand for charging your phone or tablet.
This place boasts a water park and "Action City," a go-cart arcade/ rec area- so it is packed with kids and families. Evidently there is also no normal pool in the water park; there is a hot tub, but no adult hours for the pool area.The halls are not heated, so after a non-relaxing dip in the hot tub, you can freeze all the way back to your room. The continental breakfast is served in Action City, and it is nothing special. The pastries are saw-dusty and the coffee is swill (everywhere in the place). I came back from my all day class to find my room distinctly smelling of cigarette smoke. The desk clerk came up to check it out and offered me a $25 gift card for the trouble. And I asked for Febreze. That was nice of him, but like another reviewer said, the staff was not rude, but not friendly either. My last night there a family was staying in the next room and a kid pounded on the wall with my headboard on it and screamed until after I passed out from exhaustion after midnight. The next morning my bill was under the door and it was wrong, what else? The desk clerk this time was very nice and corrected it; she even took the resort fees off. Said it was a miscommunication. I would never stay at this hotel again, I would not recommend it to anyone. I paid $70 +tax/ night and I felt ripped off. Other people in the class stayed at the Days inn and the Hotel Eau Claire, and both were very satisfied. The Days Inn was only $40. We had class at the Florian Gardens which was lovely and had wonderful food.

Room Tip: To choose the best room here, stay someplace else.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We stayed at Metropolis on our wedding weekend, we were married next door at Florian Gardens. We stayed with our 6 year old daughter. The room was quite small and very noisy, air conditioner was LOUD. However, it was nice to have it. The beds need to be replaced, as we kept rolling toward each other in the middle of the mattress. The room was clean, very clean. Check in was easy and the room was ready early. The waterpark needs serious help and I was told that it was being renovated next month. Check out was also easy, and our bill was correct. The Pub downstairs was small and generic and a little dirty, the food was ok. Nothing special, but it was cheap so I didn't expect much. We did not eat their continental breakfast. We will probably stay again, when the updates are done.

Room Tip: Rooms on south and west side are quieter, away from the elevator and waterpark.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Jan R
Reviewed 23 September 2013

The room was nicely decorated except for dark gray paint. Very dark & gloomy. It had a small refrigerator, microwave & table & stools.

There was a charge of $7.95 resort fee. This was for newspaper, continental breakfast, etc. The breakfast could have been better. Lots of complaints from others, but was OK if you weren't hungry. Didn't get any hot food at all.
We did enjoy the water park the next morning but the locker room could really use some improvements & towels could have been bigger. Someone left their clothes on bench & they were stolen in a short time.

Room Tip: Rooms facing highway had road noise.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 September 2013 via mobile

We were recently at a wedding reception being held at Metropolis. The reception room was freezing and all guests were sitting with their coats over their formal wear. The wait staff were not rude but were certainly not overly friendly. My husband went to get a refill on his beverage and watched as the server refilled his glass and handed it to someone else. Watch your glass...
Food was mediocre at best. The ambiance was modern but lacked any feeling of taste or formality for a reception facility. Would recommend checking out other venues in the area for your special day.

• Stayed: September 2013