“Nice rooms, fun park, fair food - you can do much worse.”
Review of Metropolis Resort

Metropolis Resort
Ranked #11 of 25 Hotels in Eau Claire
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
“Nice rooms, fun park, fair food - you can do much worse.”
Reviewed 2 January 2014

The waterpark was fun, it's a bit smaller but you know what - with 3 slides, a lazy river and over stuff, it was FUN. Kids will love it without having to go to the Dells.

Connected to the property is an Arcade, Laser Tag, Mini-golf and fast electric go karts.

The rooms are spacious and well kept. The staff is friendly. The food at "The Pub" is just ok but you are near a few restaurants if you want to go off property. The "continental breakfast" is also just ok.

You can't go wrong if you spend a night and a day here. The kids WILL have fun.

Room Tip: Try and get a room off the freeway side, although even if you are on that side, the noise is not to...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mabollinger

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Crystal Lake, Illinois
Reviewed 27 December 2013

First off, this hotel is connected to Action City play area and the Chaos waterpark, so you know it's going to be kid-friendly. Action City gave you a nice discount if you were staying at the hotel and the kids (ages 8 and 5) had more fun there than they did at the waterpark. I would grade Action City a B and the waterpark a C. The water in the waterpark was freezing in the main pool and the lazy river (kiddie area was fine). They have three slides - one you have to be more than 100 pounds to go on and is a straight drop so that wasn't getting much use. The other didn't require a tube but you were just pushed forward by the water and our 5yo was pretending to sleep as she came down it, so the 8 yo was bored to tears on it. That only left one really fun slide which the 8 yo went down 8-10 times. The rooms were fine. Lighting was the only complaint - the room had dark spots because the lighting was so focused on certain areas.

Room Tip: Try not to stay in a room next to stairs that lead down to Action City or the waterpark - very noisy...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Killdeer, North Dakota
Reviewed 24 December 2013

When I stayed here the waterpark looked so intriguing, However when we got there we found that the hours of the waterpark were ridiculous. They opened so late in the morning and they didn't even have the waterslides open. Then the park closed for a couple hours and reopened that evening. Plus the water was freezing. This hotel would have only been good if you were planning on staying for a week. By the time we were allowed to check in there wasn't much time left for the waterpark and we had to check out before it even opened again. When I had checked out they asked me how everything was and I told them how I felt about their terrible hours and they didnt seem like that cared at all were the least bit sypathetic. As if that wasn't bad enough I get a charge on my credit card 6 MONTHS later for that same night I had already paid for and they tried to tell me I never paid for my room, even though I have the receipt and credit card statement in my hand!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank 797trinityb
Cottage Grove, Minnesota
Reviewed 11 December 2013

My family and three other families visited Metropolis Resort and Chaos Water park last weekend. It was only an hour and a half from Mnpls. Much closer than WI. Dells, more affordable & we had a great time! Even though there were minus zero temps. outside, the water park was warm and comfortable. They just re-opened the water park after repainting and cleaning. Everything was in great clean, working condition. The rooms at the hotel were modern, and most importantly clean! The staff was friendly and helpful and throwing the breakfast with the stay is a big bonus when traveling with kids. The day pass for the arcade, laser tag, race track, rock wall and much more was also a good value for all that was offered. Our kids played at the water park all morning and loved the arcade & more all afternoon into the evening. Thank you Metropolis - it was a fun, family-friendly stay. We are planning another visit before winters-end.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Villa Park, Illinois
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

We got a very good deal on a room, I believe due to the waterpark being closed temporarily. We took this deal to go visit family.

I have to say we have been staying at the Metropolis since it opened. We loved the quirkiness and funkiness of the place. I have to say it has steadily gone downhill the past few years. The wonderful ambiance is gone. There is now a typical found anywhere bar that has nothing in common with the decor of the hotel. They could have done so much more with it. The room was dingy and had broken fixtures.

And while I understand the cost involved with the original breakfast area, what we had now was almost inedible. The donuts were rock hard, and the whole area, which is in the middle of an amusement like indoor park, was just gross. The conference room was better than that.

So yes, we really miss what the original intent of this hotel was all about when we loved to stay there. We will return to the Grand Stay, quiet and extremely well kept. The kids will have to deal with no water or
amusement park.

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Memidbs
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 5 November 2013

My wife and I stayed with our two kids. We enjoyed the water park, which our kids loved. The hotel room was decent. It was clean and spacious. You need to use one of your key cards to keep the electricity on in the room, which I had never seen before. I did find it difficult to regulate the temperature in the room, so it was fairly warm the entire time. The staff were friendly. The free continental breakfast was a bonus, but there were only very basic items like cold cereal, donuts and muffins, which was at least something to get you going. The bar did make a good bloody mary and there is a Dairy Queen onsite. When I booked the hotel, it was going to be an extra $100+ to add the action city admission to the package. I found that to be a little excessive, especially since it looked like I had to purchase additional tickets for things when inside, but the go carts did look like fun.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Stillwater,Mn
Reviewed 28 October 2013

This was a birthday get-together for a 10 year old. We all enjoyed the waterpark, not as big as ones at the Dells, but adequate and comfortable to see everyone. Staff was very friendly and helpful, bar has a great happy hour and the morning continental breakfast was generous. We will definately go back.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family