“Great fun for children” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 25 Hotels in Eau Claire
Blaine, Minnesota
“Great fun for children”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2014

Words would not be able to describe how much fun my grandchildren had at this great resort. If you are looking for guaranteed hugs from children, over and over thanking you for bringing them, this is the place for you. If you are looking for fancy-pantsy over the top luxury that only adults enjoy, then go someplace else. However, children only want a fun waterpark, a fantastic arcade and countless hours of entertainment. This place was clean and well-run. The waterpark, although more designed for children 12 and under was big enough that there was plenty to do, but not so big that you felt you could lose sight of young ones easily. Action City had something for everyone. My grandchildren loved it all, but especially the Laser Tag, bowling and the race cars.

I reserved one of the locker rooms and that was also a huge hit! This well laid-out room had ten queen beds, lockers, 2 bathrooms, a full size fridge, Foosball table, Air Hockey and another arcade game. My grandchildren loved this room. My grandchildren were so delighted with the room I can’t describe the look on their faces when we checked in. There was plenty of sleeping space for 10 children and 8 adults. Were the beds unbelievably luxurious and the pillows of high quality? No, but who cares as long as they are clean and comfortable enough and the kids are happy.

Grandma was able to have a Bloody Mary at the Pub that is just off the main lobby and she needed one! The service in the pub was very good. I did not have an opportunity to eat the food in the Pub, but from what I saw of it, it looked very good. I hope I did not forget his name, but Kevin, one of the bartenders was very friendly and explained some of the featured drinks posted on the wall.

When I checked in, Nathan was most friendly and accommodating, he made me smile! Every one of the staff was friendly and appeared happy to work there which always indicates good management.

We will most certainly be back for many years to come.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2014

We live just minutes from this resort and have heard things good and bad but decided to give it a try for a last minute stress break. I made the reservation online and all went very smooth. Check in was very quick and the front desk was very helpful explaining where everything was. When we arrived to our room I was first very impressed with the style and decor but after further inspection I quickly found out that this place was built on a short budget. The furniture was very cheap and not intended for commercial use. There was a noticeable lack of useable outlets in the room. In today’s world outlets are a must for using personal electronics, I always carry a small extension cord so we were able to plug both phones in near the bed after searching for an outlet. The room was designed in such a way that there was a small ledge above both beds running the length of the room, this was covered in dust. If you choose to have a design element that is a dust collector then be sure you make dusting part of your weekly cleaning routine. Another issue we ran in to was the heating for the room. I was forced to get up every few hours and turn it on as it has a feature that turns it off after a set period of time, think green I guess. Other than those minor inconveniences the room was adequate.
I thought the waterpark was great for the price. The room was warm and the water was just fine. There is plenty for the kids to do and the adults can enjoy the hot tub or lazy river. I have no issues or complaints with the waterpark at all.
The continental breakfast leaves a lot to be desired. First you had to walk what seemed like a mile to get to the breakfast area which was located in the adjacent Action City and the setup was terrible. The food selection was minimal including generic brand cereal, stale bread and muffins that would be better suited as a bowling ball than breakfast food. It seems as if waffle makers are standard items at most hotels I stay at these days, it’s time to catch up Metropolis.
If there was only one thing I could suggest to make my stay better it would be to include a short block of time at Action City included with your stay. I am only asking for an hour. At a minimum give guests the option to purchase short increments of time at a reasonable rate. You can currently add a full day if Action City play for $25 per person, how about an hour for $5? I am already committing myself to the waterpark but would love to sample the other half of the resort without dropping another $125 on my stay.
Overall we were satisfied and would stay again if the opportunity arises again.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

Took our boys ages 4 and 7 for an overnight at the Metropolis and will definitely return.

The waterpark was decent, water was fairly warm which is always a plus for adults. It's a good size for younger kids like ours. And the little one could go down the open slide by himself or the other with one of us. Another plus is that your waterpark admission is good even once you have checked out of the hotel, unlike a popular MN waterpark we have stayed at.

We had opted to purchase our Action City passes once we arrived instead of doing the Ultimate package since our 4 year old was under 44" and got a free pass since we purchased one ($25) for the 7 year old. We were pleased to learn that all of the arcade games that didn't give tickets, racing games, shooting games, etc., were included with the pass. Because those are the games our kids like to play, we didn't even need to purchase a card for the other games. So our boys definitely got the $25 worth out of Action City.

Unfortunately we were assigned a room on the first floor so it was pretty noisy. We could have requested to switch, but it was only for one night, so we figured we would tough it out.

Enjoyed our stay and will definitely be returning again in the future!

Room Tip: Second or third floors would be preferable.
Alexandria
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

Disappointment at check in. BOOKED making memories package which included water park passes, unlimited wristbands to action city for $15/ppl, free soda refills only to find out at check in that the price given on line is not package price which was considerably higher cost. VERY MISLEADING!!!!

Stayed March 2014
2 Thank jt8589
Streator, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2014

We arrived at 11am and I paid for the 2 rooms I had reserved for over a month for my grandsons birthday. We were told to come back at 2-2:30pm before our rooms would be ready. We showed back up at 3 O'clock: hauled all of our stuff in for 7 people and then was told that our rooms would not be available until 4 o'clock. We sat in the lobby for an hour watching other people come in and get their room keys and they did not have to wait. Why were we the ONLY ones in the entire resort sitting waiting for our rooms??? When the front desk finally called that our rooms were ready an hour later: the girl at the front desk asked to charge both rooms to my credit card after I had paid cash for the rooms already.I had to tell her to check that I had paid cash 5 hours before! Once in our room: I could not get the heater to come one and called the front desk since the room was ice cold because the thermostat was shut off. I played with it for a half hour before it finally kicked on. I called the front desk back since I got it going and no one from maintainence showed up to fix it. We also found out that night that the microwave oven did not work also: we had to use the one in my daughters room. The following morning some staff member told my son-in-law that some star was coming in for autograph signing and everyone needed to get out while they still could. The only bright spot was the room was clean and the waterpark was OK. We stayed here years ago when they offered a hot continental breakfast and now they had a cold continental breakfast in the arcade.Very disappointed since we drove 5 hours to get there from Illinois and My daughter and family drove 5 hours from western Minnesota and met us there. Very bad trip overall!

Room Tip: Do not pay for the rooms ahead of times or they must give your rooms to someone else
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Saint Croix Falls, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

We stayed Friday - Sunday Feb 2014 with three young children. We had a room with two queen beds. The room was nice and clean. We did a reg night and an Ultimate Package Night, so we had unlimited access to the Action City arcade one day. The kids loved it. The waterpark is perfect for my kids ages (4, 7, 9) and the arcade had lots of different stuff. I would hate to have to pay for each thing at the arcade, but the unlimited was worth it as we were there for the entire day.
The waterpark was chilly...Sunday was the worst. The kids didn't notice/mind...just the adults. lol.
The hotel room was nice. DEFINITELY do not stay on the first floor - to much activity back and forth.
Loved the activities in Action City...laser tag, bumper cars, rock wall, go-karts.
Food was not bad...pizza better than we expected.
NOTE: Our middle child has Celiac disease and cannot eat gluten without getting ill. They do not have a gluten free menu, but I talked to them in advance and they stocked GF pizza crust so he could eat with us. We would NOT have gone if this had not been an option (hard to tell a 7 yr old he can't eat with the family!). I advise them to start providing that as it is a growing issue in the US, but was very happy with them going out of the norm for their kitchen to have this available. It made the 7 yr old's day!
The continental breakfast is a bit strange, but worked. It is available a long time and is located in Action City (part of the odd part) and so we went back and forth between the arcade and the breakfast in the morning.
Will be going again...prob next winter as it is pretty expensive. The rooms are small, but sufficient. Liked the idea of the bunk bed room, but the price was crazy! We just stayed in the reg room...we were not there that much, so it wasn't a big deal.

Room Tip: 2nd or 3rd floors are a must. First floor was noisy and constant people going back and forth. We sta...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Brooklyn Park
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2014

We recently stayed at Metropolis resort for a second time. This is a great place for a quick weekend getaway. The rooms are neat, clean and great for a family since they have a microwave and fridge. We could bring some of our own food instead of having to eat out the whole time. The Water park is great. Especially for smaller kids. I think kids older than 10 would be bored but for our three year old, it is just what she needs. Lots of shallow pools and a waterslide that is long but not too fast for her so she can really enjoy. The restarurant on site is great. Good food, good service, good prices. Nice continental breakfast. Action City is a good place to get a break from the water park. The indoor go carts are sweeeet! Highly recommend.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends