“Worst hotel I have ever stayed at!!!”

Americas Best Value Inn - Campus View
Ranked #19 of 25 Hotels in Eau Claire
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Worst hotel I have ever stayed at!!!”
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights while visiting my sister at UW-Eau Claire. Problems started as soon as we arrived. The room was nothing like what was listed on my confirmation. Called the front desk and was told that I would have to wait for the manager to call me later that evening. Never called. The room was dirty. There were holes in the ceiling that were stuffed with newspaper. The parking lot wasn't plowed at all. Beer cans and yellow snow on the sidewalks. Outside had a strong smell of propane the entire stay. Outside doors never locked so anyone could walk into the hotel. Had to ask for an iron and ironing board. Middle of the night on BOTH nights there were drunk people outside our door yelling swearing and slamming doors. Police were there BOTH nights. Only got about 3 hours of sleep each night. Second night the drunks kept knocking on our door thinking that it was someone else's room. Second night we ended up packing our stuff and switching rooms at 2am. Night manager only had 2 rooms that we could move two. First one was only 3 doors down (like that would make the yelling less quite). Second one was by a guest that decided to disrobe in the pool area just that night (just what I wanted around my 5 year old). Breakfast each morning consisted of biscuits and gravy toast and omeletes that you could microwave. Ended up going out for breakfast both mornings. I've never stayed at a worse hotel.

• Stayed February 2014
campusgm, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Campus View, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
You have experienced a very unusual stay at our hotel. I’m terribly sorry other guests’ behavior caused your stay to be so unpleasant. Our staff did everything in their power to handle the noise, and ultimately did have to call the police, who did take care of the situation. Your concerns regarding the description of your room online were taken under advisement and were corrected. Our deluxe continental breakfast includes bagels, muffins, English muffins, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, breakfast burritos, omelets, biscuits and gravy, fruit, cereal, oatmeal, juice, milk, tea and coffee. I apologize that our breakfast options did not live up to your expectations. I hope you have a more enjoyable experience next time you are in Eau Claire.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Superior
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Clean hotel with pool, continental breakfast, bar, and counter service restaurant connected to hotel. Stayed the night for a girls Christmas shopping trip. A band was in the bar for entertainment and dancing. It was ok for what was needed and the location was near enough to the mall and other shopping

Room Tip: Used the hotel online reservation site and the desk clerk said "I don't know what reservati...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
campusgm, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Campus View, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our establishment! We pride ourselves in offering full service ammenities at an economy hotel rate. We're glad we could fullfil your needs and that you were able to enjoy our onsite pub, O'Leary's, which is a local favorite for live music every Friday and Saturday. We hope you stay with us again on your next girl's shopping weekend!
Kakabeka Falls
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I had no intention of staying in Eau Claire but with the time change and the weather I found myself not being able to continue my journey. I have stayed at other America's Best Value Inn's so I figured this was a "sure thing". I was right! The room was very clean and comfortable, the lounge was a lot of fun and even had Karoke...the bartender was extremely friendly and helpful with suggesting the restaurant "in-house"...which is always a big plus for me, as I don't want to drive once I get a room. So there you have it.... clean, warm room, awesome food, great entertainment, all under one roof !!!! My favourite. Will definitely stay there again. Forgot to mention...very reasonable rates also !!! See you in April !!!!!!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
campusgm, Front Office Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Campus View, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Thank you for the positive review of our establishment! We take pride in being able to offer you all you need at a great price. It is great to hear that you will be back in 2014. We look forward to seeing you again!
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed 11 November 2013

This was a very nice motel. The room was clean, quiet and comfortable. We had a first floor, 1 queen bed room with a patio door to the parking lot. Very convenient for moving luggage in and out. We didn't use the pool but looked very nice. The facility could use a little updating but all in all a good value for the price and served our purposes. I would stay here again at $20 per night cheaper than the Holiday Inn down the road.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank RENEE B
campusgm, Front Office Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Campus View, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Thank you for your business. We appreciate your review! We take pride in offering you a comfortable room at a great rate. We are continuously updating our facility, so we would like accommodate you again in the future and show you our changes. Thank you again for your patronage.
Eagan, Minnesota
Reviewed 4 November 2013

No AC in the rooms, which normally wouldn't be an issue in November but the window was actually a patio door to the outside and it didn't have a screen.

Smaller room than the competitors. All things considered the price was the best thing about this hotel .

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We have taken your comments under advisement and our maintenance department has put a new screen on the patio door. Thank you for your business, and we hope to see you again soon!
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Great location...well priced. ..have no complaints...would stay here again....the pool was clean indoor s and ouside.house keeping was very helpful and the restaurant next door was very convenient. .... .............................. .....................

• Stayed May 2013
campusgm, Front Office Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Campus View, responded to this review, 6 September 2013
Thank you for your review. It is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! We are continuously updating and improving our property, so we look forward to seeing you again and making your next stay even better.
Arlington, Minnesota
Reviewed 2 September 2013

my cousin and I stayed there because all the other area hotels were booked due to multiple events happening in/around that area-we were there for Rockfest concert. Anyways it could be better (the ac units are outdated, barely cool off the room). It was a basic hotel room, 2 beds, plenty of space, the shower was nice, the bathroom was clean. came with a fridge, tv, etc. My only real complaint is that a dumb drunk man came pounding on my door at 3:26am, thinking my hotel room was his hotel room. I didn't respond to his banging and shouting through the door, but had to search for the hotel desk number using my cell phone light. I eventually found the number and was able to get the night manager to come down and tell the idiot that *my* room wasn't his room. I would rate this place a 3 out of 5 stars because it's not the greatest place I've been to, but definitely not the worst place ive crashed at. I'm also confused as to why my credit card was charged a penny randomly, a few days after I stayed there. lol

Room Tip: make sure you know the front desk's number before you go to bed, in case of drunken idiots bangi...
Green Features: they have "gone green" so to speak, if you stay multiple days, you can choose to reuse your towels or have them washed daily-or given brand new ones. Im going to assume the janitors also use "green" chemicals too.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your comments on our hotel. I apologize that another guest made your stay less enjoyable than it otherwise would have been. Next time you are in Eau Claire please don't hesitate to stop buy and try us again. Our font desk staff is available and pleased to assist you 24 hours a day, and can be reached by dialing "0" on the phone in your room. We hope to see you again soon!