“Very nice for the price”

Americas Best Value Inn - Campus View
Ranked #19 of 25 Hotels in Eau Claire
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 15 November 2010

Stayed at this hotel last week. I have been staying there for many years, each November for a yearly shopping trip with friends. The hotel now serves a continental breakfast, which was never available when this was owned by other chains. This is a very good value for the money. Nice warm indoor pool, hot tub, bar and small restaurant. Will definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends

Reviewed 1 November 2009

The deskworkers were polite, friendly and responsive. The single bed rooms on the first floor seemed small because of the level ceiling, but seemed larger on the second floor because of the upward-sloping ceiling. You might, therefore want to ask for a room on the second floor because of this effect. Unlike what others have reported here, the rooms I stayed in suffered no water leaks or cleanliness issues, and the exterior doors, while somewhat clunky, did open. My main complaint: I like that a hotel of this price has a swimming pool and sauna, but I ran into problems last time with staff not enforcing the hotel's adult swim hours, as kids were still there way after 10. When they finally left, I had only ten minutes of swim time left before the pool area closed at 11.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank UWECAlum
Reviewed 19 October 2009

We booked here because of the location and the cheap rate. Front desk was friendly and quick. Arrived at our room and no kidding, it was about 100 degrees in there! The heat was blasting. We immediately turned off the heat and opened the sliding door. We never ended up getting the cool air to work. The vent was broken and would only work on heat.

We left our room and came back at 1100pm that night and our non smoking room smelled just like a smoking room. The hallways were filled with cigarette smoke and permeated into our room. We hate, hate, hate the smell of cigarette smoke!

Next morning, we had no choice but to take cold showers. Even when the the hot water was turned on all the way, the water was still freezing.

We would never stay here again. It wasn't even worth the $50 we paid for our room. I would suggest any other hotel in EC but this one.

Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
MarketingByOpenbook, Owner at Americas Best Value Inn - Campus View, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2010

The hotel is now newly renovated. We have addressed your concern and are confident you will not experience that again. Please report any concerns to management or myself and we will take care of you. Thank you very much for helping us provide a better hotel.

Reviewed 8 October 2009

I priced a lot of hotels in Eau Claire before choosing America's Best Value Inn. They had the best price by far and the website made it look O.K. We asked for a non smoking room and even though the halls smelled of Smoke pretty badly the room smelled fine. The first night it rained hard and I woke to a dripping sound, the roof leaked and my hubands clothes that were on a chair were soaked, and the blue dye from the chair came off on them. The dripping just missed the computer just 18" away. I barely got them to give me anything to get the clothes cleaned and they said they would move us to a room with a king size bed, no extra charge. The bed was bigger but the room smaller, I was not impressed. Both mornings the free breakfast was pretty much gone by 7:45am though it was supposed to go until 9. For the full cheapness story read on: After i realized the clothes and floor were wet I trudged down to the desk at 5 am and a tired employee said "sorry, that is weird, we just had the roof repaired." I asked if they would pay to have my hubands clothes cleaned .after much back and forth she begrudgingly gave me $1 in quarters. I asked for soap, that was given begrudgingly as well, then I learned the laundry cost $2, so I was back to complain, said again it needs drycleaning or professional cleaning because of the blue dye, she gave me another $1 and said Shopko next door sold stain sticks.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple