“Fantastic Local Cuisine, The Best Eau Claire has to offer!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: American, Cafe
Dining options: Seating
Dining options: Seating
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
“Fantastic Local Cuisine, The Best Eau Claire has to offer!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2012

Don't let the high ratings of other local Eau Claire restaurants fool you. This restaurant is one of the best if not THE best restaurant in Eau Claire. I did take a look at the previous 7 reviews before writing my own and I have to say it...if you're expecting fast food turn around, why oh why come to a local, downtown restaurant on a weekend, most likely during what is a lunch rush hour? This is a small town, locally owned restaurant that caters to an experience, not just an In & Out dine & dash. The experience is meant to be enjoyed.

With that said, out of the dozen times I have been at OC I have never had a bad experience. The food has always been wonderful, delicious, fresh, and I love the use of local ingredients. The bread is all made in house for their sandwiches and toast which makes the experience that much more special. The coffee. Oh, I could go on for days about the coffee. Utterly delicious. The truffles are ingenious, and to die for. My favorite is the Caramel Fleur De Sel, although they are all good. The croissants and other baked goods are fantastic, as is the homemade gelato.

As far as pricing, if you ask me they are under-priced. For around $9 per person, you are getting a generous portion of sandwich and a side, add a truffle and some coffee and it's around $15. $15 per person, to get fantastic, not just run of the mill average coffee, local ingredients, and handmade truffles just doesn't seem like a lot to me. You'll spend that visiting the local Friday's or Applebee's and not have quite the amazing experience.

Ambiance is very nice, the place is beautiful and service has always been impeccable. I love Obsession's Chocolates. The perfect name for a place you truly will become obsessed with.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Bobbie B

Boynton Beach, Florida, United States
“Pleasant Surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2012

Got off the interstate for some local flavor. This restaurant was suggested. I found the staff attentive, food delicious and the ambiance delightful. I had the Monte Christo sandwich and it was great. The chocolate truffles were a nice finish to my visit. I would revisit anytime.

• Visited January 2012
“Great food but slow”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

Food was great. Salads fresh but service is very slow. Allow at lease an hour and a half

Visited April 2012
1 Thank Dawn B
“Surprisingly disappointed...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2012

Plan was for a Saturday late lunch with just my wife and I and have heard good things on Obsession. Place was not packed but had a good amount of customers when we arrived. Got a table right away, coffee and water were served within a few minutes of being seated. Wait staff was friendly enough when taking orders but things started to go downhill from here. It was approx 20-25 minutes after our orders were placed that we were told our order was given to the wrong table and that table liked the look of our dishes so much they kept and ate them. We were told our new orders were being made and would be out shortly. Another few minutes passed and then we were told the soup my wife ordered was now "sold out" as it was given to the customers that got our initial order...given the soup was the specific thing my wife had wanted this did not paint a favorable impression. The solution was to give her chips or a salad instead of the soup....not exactly what we were after. Another 5 minutes passed and our orders arrived. I had the Euro-Style Croque Monsieur which was very good and my wife's Ruben was decent but have had better elsewhere. When the bill arrived I was a bit surprised that no level of adjustment was provided for the mis-execution on our orders...we were certainly not looking for a comped meal but a minor discount, complementary chocolate truffle, etc. would have gone a significant way to leave us with a more favorable impression.

Overall the food was acceptable to very good, staff ok to friendly, execution poor, prices as to be expected...the reason we graded as harsh as we did was for a $40 lunch for two we expected the overall experience to be more "polished".

• Visited February 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Jeremy S
“not quite right”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

slow, slow, slow. wait staff not real attentive, perhaps overwhelmed with duties. Maybe they have to cook also. Wait for food inordinately slow and when arrived the omelet and over medium egg both way overcooked. Certainly need a new breakfast cook and grill perhaps not quite big enough. On previous visit had pancakes with what the restaurant called maple syrup. If there was any maple syrup at all it was diluted with corn syrup, it was not pure maple syrup and quite awful. If the restaurant thinks this is maple syrup they better find a new supplier. Pure maple syrup is delicious. Overall pretty disappointed.

• Visited January 2012