“Noisy Hotel”

Clarion Hotel Campus Area
Ranked #15 of 25 Hotels in Eau Claire
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We have been staying at this hotel for a few years when we travel to and from Ontario, Canada. When we arrive in the early evening, we have just driven 11 hours from Ontario to Eau Claire. We are looking forward to a good night's sleep because we still have 6 hours of driving ahead of us in the morning. In past years, we have not had a big problem with noise in the hallway or outside. We have always noticed some noisy people, but the problem has pretty much corrected itself at a reasonable time. However, the past two years, we have stayed here when there was a wedding booked in their banquet rooms. Between 1:00 and 2:00a.m, there were people yelling in the hallway, a toddler crying, others running and shouting to each other and this was after we had listened to this activity in the courtyard beneath our window since early in the evening. Weddings are fun and I get that. So, if you are invited to a wedding here, you should have a great time. If you need a good night's sleep, you might want to search for a hotel without a banquet room in Eau Claire ,there are plenty. After staying here for a few years, we will be staying elsewhere next year, its just not a good match for us anymore. And yes, the lack of an elevator is annoying. Our experience with the desk staff was fine, they were friendly. We did not use the pool. Our room was comfortable, the beds were comfortable. The shower functioned well and the room and bathroom were clean.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Melissa C, Front Office Manager at Clarion Hotel Campus Area, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2014

Thank you for being our valued guest for many years. I do apologize that this stay was not as pleasurable as the previous years. I am glad to see that our hotel rooms and beds were comfortable and clean. Our hotel does feature a banquet center along with the Green Mill restaurant and lounge, so people do come and go later in the night when the lounge closes. I will review our current policies with our security provider to make sure that all guests are able to enjoy their rest when this occurs.
We hope you will give the Clarion Hotel Campus Area another chance to provide you with our exceptional service and clean comfortable rooms the next time you travel through Eau Claire.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

In general, the Eau Claire area really doesn't offer much choice in good hotels. We stayed here for a weekend swim meet, and found it....completely adequate. Its an older hotel, but well maintained overall. Rooms are clean, well kept. Okay for a quick stay, would go back given the limited choices in the area.

Room Tip: Note that there is no elevator, so if you cannot do stairs, ask for ground floor room
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank WelshHare

Thank you for being our guest! We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We take pride in our hotel and services and are glad to see it shows. We look forward to greeting you during your next stay.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Two stars seems too harsh, but three seems kind of generous here.

The good: clean rooms, friendly staff

The bad: dated rooms, low ceilings, various odd (and a few really bad smells), windows don't lock (only a dowel and windows could still open.)

The unfortunate: Got this through Hotwire. Usually I have good luck. The "original" price on the secret room was off by $40 from the actual price it was going for for that day, so the deal I got wasn't very good at all.

Also - upon entering the room, something triggered an asthma attack. Had two use the rescue inhaler twice to get it under control. Sat with my head out the window for awhile and left the window open until bed time. Had another attack in the morning. I didn't know what if anything I could do about it since hotwire deals are final. Good thing I had my inhaler on me.

Side note: As others have noted there is no elevator. But there's only two floors for the entire building. Walking up one flight of stairs is no big deal (and at least on the night I stayed there appeared to be many empty rooms so I'm sure getting the first floor wouldn't be a problem if someone wished.

I can't say I recommend this place or will ever stay again, but I'm sure there are many worse hotels out there.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

I apologize for your asthma attack during your stay. Our goal at the Clarion Hotel Campus Area is to deliver a clean, comfortable room and enjoyable experience. We will discuss this with our housekeeping staff to make sure all rooms have been thoroughly cleaned after each visit. Thank you for your valuable and detailed feedback. We will use it to improve our services for your future visits.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I was the chief financial officer for a convention.we held in this hotel in June 2014. I personally stayed in this hotel for a week. I also had about 75 other delegates that stayed here. It is the first time in my tenure that I received zero complaints. Believe me if my folks would have a beef I would hear about it. The front desk staff were exceptionally friendly and very professional,.this is a real refreshing attitude these days. Carrie Brownell the sales manager she was excellent! . Management at this hotel is a shining star and all the supporting staff including house keeping and maintenance were very good indeed. I would host an event here again without hesitation.

Room Tip: The Green Mill returant in this hotel has a great in house homeade pizza to order it is fantastic
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Melissa C, Front Office Manager at Clarion Hotel Campus Area, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2014

Thank you for your great review of our hotel. We are glad to hear that everyone in the convention had a great time, and we are fortunate to have a great Sales team to help clients like yours have a fun and productive convention. We look forward to working with your group again in the future!

Reviewed 4 June 2014 via mobile

My room was neat clean and had undergone a recent update. Bed is comfortable, etc... Agree that overall the hotel is dated, but common areas are clean. No elevators as stated in other reviews but not much they can do about that. Staff are friendly and helpful. Negatives: free wifi is spotty at best, morning grab n go breakfast pretty slim requiring me to use on site restaurant that didn't open until 0630. Room keys commonly needing recoded. Grassy areas overrun with weeds. None of these things are deal breakers, just aggravations that I could live with if I'm ever in the area.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking time to review your stay with us. I am glad you found our rooms to be clean, comfortable and up to date. Our Grab & Go is a lighter and fast alternervative to enjoying breakfast at the Green Mill. We will take your comments and feedback into consideration when changes are made to it.
We have recently replaced our previous Wifi provider and our guests are very pleased with the increased speed and connectivity we had gained from the new provider. We have also changed our landscaping provider and are pleased with our improved courtyard and grounds. We hope you notice these improvements the next time you are our guest.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

This hotel is somewhat outdated. It appears to have been built in the 60s or 70s and could desperately use some updates. There is absolutely no elevator in the hotel whatsoever and there are 2 floors. Keep this in mind when booking, if you are handicapped, have a stroller or lots of luggage you will have to carry it to the top of the stairs! That also means that using a luggage cart is pointless if you are staying on the second floor. The indoor pool is ICE COLD. Probably about 70 degrees and for an indoor pool that is not acceptable. The hot tub is tiny, only room for about 4 people maximum. There is a breakfast included but it is limited to pastries, granola bars and yogurt. The staff is also not particularly friendly. I worked with two different staff members, both young women who were in no particular hurry to assist me. I would rate the hotel VERY low on customer service also. It was good for the rate we got on hotwire but certainly not for regular rate prices.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the 1st floor in order to avoid carrying your luggage up the stairs.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience during your recent stay and failing to meet your expectations as our guest. We strive to exceed expectations and are quite disappointed that you did not find us to be a good value. We have spoken as a team regarding your stay and thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

We stayed here because we were attending a wedding at this site, so it was "convenient". Room was average, with new carpeting and a decent tv. Check-in was friendly and helpful. The breakfast, and I use that term loosely, was awful!!! Coffee, juice, and packaged muffins. The fruit wasn't even that good. The small dining area was hot and smelled like chlorine.
The attached restaurant has a happy hour from 4-6 with half price appetizers and drinks.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for being our guest! We are glad you enjoyed your time with us.
We apologize you did not have a good experience with our breakfast room. We have since updated the heating and cooling system in the breakfast area and our guests have found it to be more enjoyable. The Green Mill Restaurant and Bar features specials 7 days a week including two daily happy hours from 4-7 and 9-12am as well as room service and catering.
We hope you will be our guest again the next time your travels bring you to Eau Claire.