“Choose wisely”

Fuji Sushi and Steak House
Ranked #19 of 236 Restaurants in Eau Claire
Price range: US$6 - US$35
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese
Description: An upscale Japanese restaurant including booth seating for sushi and sashimi or a cooked-at-table meal served at our hibachi grills. We have a party room available for groups of 20 or more and our large booths in the sushi bar area can seat up to 6 people at one table.
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Our extended family of sixteen came here for dinner; the first time for half of us from out of town and the first time for small children of people who live here. The man who lives here had called ahead to ask about reservations, and we were promptly seated. The children were impressed with the water feature and at-table cooking at nearby tables. While we waited to give our orders, the children (and adults) were entertained by the knife juggling, flaming cooking, and the chef tossing bits of food into patrons' mouths at adjacent tables. Our family chose not to have that experience, but I think they would have enjoyed it.

A friendly server took our orders and brought our drinks that included lids and straws for the children. The salad consisted of flat iceberg lettuce, generic croutons, and a dab of thousand island dressing. One family member who had voted against this restaurant was satisfied with his shrimp tempura. Others were happy with their sushi, bento boxes, and other combination plates. Unfortunately, my seafood soba for $12.95 was disappointing as was my adult son's. We were served about two and a half cups of noodles with a stray green onion here and there. My dish had four (4) small prawns and no other recognizable seafood. My five year old granddaughter's dish ordered from the same adult section of the menu included two tempura shrimp and a bowl containing one tempura broccoli floret and fried tofu. My son's and my meals would have been significantly better if we had had those too. We had enough to eat. It didn't dawn on us to ask if we should have had those items until we had left because my granddaughter was the very last to be served. t because we ate what the little kids didn't finish. The under 12 years old child's portions were adult size for $4.95.

I paid the bill, and I'm guessing our server was happy with the 18% tip because she came back to our table to see if we were celebrating anything. She had asked at the beginning but this time we replied we had a couple of birthdays and anniversaries. She brought four plates that each had a scoop of vanilla ice cream and "Happy whatever" written in chocolate syrup. Then a drummer and other servers joined in a Japanese version of Happy Birthday that was very special. To top off the occasion, the server gathered us to use our cameras to take a group photo.

If I were ever to return (not any time soon since I live 1500 miles away), I'd arrange for the treat ahead of time so everyone would have dessert.

1  Thank AnnKirby

Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

My wife and I have been to Fuji a number of times and have never been disappointed. The sushi isn't off the charts, but it's good. We've tried just about every maki roll, on the menu, a handful of additional sushi options as well as the hibachi. The hibachi dinner experience is entertaining, be prepared for interaction. We typically request a booth to avoid the high energy of the hibachi experience. Their happy hour and lunch time sushi specials are quality.

Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

We went on Tuesday night and got a bunch of sushi. It was good - I think it's comparable to Shanghai Bistro but I like how Shanghai has typical Chinese food and good beer too so for sushi I'd probably go there instead. We had a group of 7 squished into a booth which I found uncomfortable. The back of our seat moved a lot when other people sat behind us, pushing me forward. Service was good though. I can't comment on the price because I didn't pay.

1  Thank Lirpa P
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Ate here with friends for dinner. In the mall area by Best Buy. Food looked batter than what it tasted. Great atmosphere. Way overpriced for what you get. Food tasted like it was just reheated but not freshly cooked. Tried their combo meals but all of our food tasted the same. I would not recommend until they get different cooks.

1  Thank WItraveler2000
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We really like this place *(wife and I). We always go for the lunch special hibachi. Its only 8 or 9 dollars vs 18 to 20 for dinner pricing.

Been to Fuji Sushi and Steak House? Share your experiences!