“Tastefully delicious”

Ranked #18 of 231 Restaurants in Eau Claire
Cuisines: Mexican
“Tastefully delicious”
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I have eaten at many Mexican restaurants in Eau claire! I got tacos al pastor! They were amazing! And 4 tacos for $9.99!!! Can't beat that! The chips and salsa were to die for! Especially the two green ones! The staff was so friendly and nice and checked on us perfectly!!! Thank you! I will be back for some more tacos!!!

• Visited April 2014

Eau Claire, Wisconsin
“Bon Iver wrote a song about eating here!”
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Just kidding, but I did see Justin Vernon eating lunch there once. The people are right, this is the best, authentic Mexican nom-nom place in EC. Great food does not need to be accompanied by cliched, Spanish themed junk covering the walls. Great food stands up by itself. Period. Try everything, I have been, and I haven't found anything that wasn't amazing and pure deliciousness. The people are wonderful, and very happy to feed you. The prices are very practical. Try the grilled cactus; amazing.

• Visited February 2014
Marshfield, Wisconsin
“Patronize this restaurant!”
Reviewed 15 March 2014

RUN, don't walk to this restaurant. I'm preferential to Mexican food, but I think I could eat here every day.
I have visited Mexico many times and have eaten at many a Mexican restaurant and this food is excellent. I feel like this is a family who cooks quality food for themselves and just happens to have a restaurant.
OK, the decor lacks some pizazz, but the food and service more than makes up for this oversight. The background music in Mexican restaurants is often blaring and downright annoying, but here they have music for ambiance that won't drown out your conversation.
Chips arrive promptly and are served with three spectacular homemade salsas. These salsas are thick, not some runny stuff, out of a jar. One salsa is a smooth green puree possibly avocado but with a kick. I asked the waitress about the ingredients and she said it was "ground jalapenos". The flavor is delicious and only slightly spicy. The flavor is unlike any salsa I have ever had. Both the chunky red and green salsas were equally delicious and unique in flavor.
My Caldo de Res was satisfying. The bowl of soup is served with a side plate of diced jalapenos, onions and cilantro. You choose how much spice you want in the soup. I was pleased at the generous cubes of very tender beef.
Hispanic restaurants seldom have homemade "aguas frescas" but Taqueria La Poblanita makes their own tasty, if a bit sweet, Horchata. In the future, I'll have to see if they make Tamarindo or Jamaica.
Their beans are wonderful. If a restaurant cannot make good refried beans then they should not be in business.
Tell you friends about this place. I hope they stay in business as the food, attention to detail and quality of ingredients is the best around. No I don't work for the restaurant, I just know quality when I find it.

• Visited March 2014
“WOW!”
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

Dont let the ugly cafeteria style dining scare you off! This place is awesome! Every time I have ate here the meals are quite authentic and very well prepared...I only fear that my expectations are going to be unreasonable whenever I dine at any other Mexican restaurant...especially if the prices are higher!

1 Thank zoomzoomec
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
“best authentic Mexican food around!”
Reviewed 17 November 2013

The decor makes you feel like you are eating in a cafeteria HOWEVER anyone who has been to Mexico, New Mexico, Arizona , you know that it has nothing to do with the food.
IT IS WONDERFUL.