“I was pleased”

GrandStay Residential Suites Hotel Eau Claire
Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Eau Claire
Reviewed 18 December 2009

I am normally a chain hotel kinda guy, but when a relocation brought me to Eau Claire, I wanted my own space. The GrandStay was a nice 2 bedroom plus living area and kitchen. I was very happy and a good start to my "home" in Eau Claire!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 29 November 2009

We had a reservation for 2 nights. We checked into this hotel believing that we had reserved a 2-bedroom suite. However, when we checked in, we were given a 2-bed studio. The front desk clerk was able to switch us to a 2-bedroom suite for just that night and told us to check the next day to see if there were any cancellations because, otherwise, there were no suites available.
Unfortunately, when the clerk changed our room for the first night she failed to save the reservation. When I went to check the next morning to see what room would be available for us, I was told I did not have a reservation and that the hotel was completely booked. As frustrating as this was, the clerk that morning went above and beyond our expectations and found us a room at the neighboring hotel free of charge to us.
I would definitely stay here again! The rooms are nice and relativel inexpensive.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 October 2009

We stayed here for three days, visiting with friends. The staff was exceptionally friendly and helpful. The room was spacious with a full kitchen, a sitting room, generous sized bathroom. Generous and tasty 'continental' breakfast; playset outside for kids, close to shopping and restaurants. Easy access to highways and downtown. We will definitely stay here again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2009

We stayed overnight in Eau Claire while driving through on vacation. We looked at the TripAdvisor website and saw this hotel was the highest rated in the city, so we booked it on those recommendations. You were right - it is a great little hotel. It is roomy, clean, friendly staff, well appointed, and what a price! We had a one bedroom apartment, continental breakfast included, for $79! The bed was comfortable, the water pressure was great, and there was even complimentary microwave popcorn, which was a nice touch. There is onsite laundry as well as a little "pantry" that sells some essentials should you need them. It is close to a shopping mall, lots of retail and several nice restaurants as well. It was a great place to stay. Thanks, all you TripAdvisor reviewers for pointing us to this place.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 June 2009

We're a family of 4 on a military move from Alaska to Florida. We stayed one Sunday night. Our rate was $85 including taxes for the 1-bedroom suite. The location is super convenient, in a nice area just off the interstate. There are restaurants and big box stores in the immediate area.

The lobby is very nice, with good coffee and a nice cold breakfast. The decor is midwestern and nice. There's a snack area where they sell anything you'd need if you arrived late at night. The front desk is extremely helpful. I called about a small problem (toilet kept running long) and they immediately offered a room change, although we declined as it didn't bother us at all.

The pool is very tiny. I had our two kids (7 & 5) and there was another couple with two smaller kids. It was uncomfortably tight in the pool. The hot tub says its capacity is 6, but 3 was enough. However, if you've got the pool to just your family and your kids are 10 & under, it's perfect. There's a good chance you'll have it to yourself. The kids also liked the small swingset out back, where there's also a b-ball hoop. The fitness center had a bike, an elliptical, and a treadmill that was out of order as well as clean/neat towels, water, and a TV.

The room was clean and the full kitchen was nice, although we didn't have any glasses or silverware. I'm sure it would've been there in 5 seconds if I would've asked. The pullout sofa mattress was thin and uncomfortable, but the main bed in the bedroom was comfortable. We had to move a chair and lamp to unfold the pullout bed, so yes, the rooms are a little small, but not tiny. The TVs are 27" CRTs of late 90s vintage that need to be replaced with flat panels. One interesting thing about the layout of our suite was that the bathroom is not in with the bedroom. If you put the kids to bed in the bedroom, you don't have to go in there to use the bathroom, shower, etc. You can also get ready in the morning without bothering your spouse. Sweet. The Bath & Body Works Coconut Lime & Verbena toiletries were excellent!

The negative of this hotel is that it's just a little "flimsier" than the leading brands of suite hotels. The bedroom and living room of the suite shared a wall vent so you could basically see and hear through the wall between them. Hallway traffic and doors were easily heard. Our room was above the conference room and I could hear the chairs being moved around in the morning.

Overall, we were very satisfied with our stay at this hotel, especially for what we paid. I'd have to agree that it's the #1 hotel in Eau Claire, so if you have business in Eau Claire, you should stay here. If you're planning a road trip, however, and you're more used to a Homewood or Residence Inn experience, I think you'll be slightly disappointed with this hotel and I recommend getting into the Twin Cities or down to Wisconsin Dells for your pit stop.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Toowordy
Reviewed 6 May 2008

When making my reservation and later checking in for my two night stay....the staff was very personable and accommodating. The atmosphere was extremely relaxing and condusive to doing business which was my purpose for being in Eau Claire. The Grand Stay had all of the comforts of home. It is as totally awesome hotel!! I will definately stay again and would highly recommend it to others whether their stay be business or pleasure.

Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed 27 December 2007

We (two adults with one kid) stayed at the Grandstay Suites for two nights just before Christmas, while visiting family in Eau Claire. Our suite was on the first floor, and included a bedroom, "great room" with a small kitchen and sleeper sofa. The room was VERY clean. While our intent was to visit area relatives, and not spend very much time in the room, it was a place that was comfortable to stay in, with DVD and cable tv. Toiletries are from Bath and Body works, nice. Housekeeping stopped by while we were still in the room, asked if we needed anything - towels, coffee for the rooms coffee maker, whatever; and please, let us know if you need anything else. The property has a lovely lobby area which was fully decked out for christmas with a tree, garlands and what all else. The pool is smaller than small - but did provide play value to the kid (and two cousins). Breakfast was the usual hotel fare - pastries, bagels, cereal; coffee or juice and milk.

Should we find the need to stay in a hotel in Eau Claire again, we will definatly include this one on our short list.

• Stayed: December 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank sewcrazy_mn