“Horrible musty smelling room!”

Best Western Plus Eau Claire Conference Center
Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Eau Claire
Reviewed 24 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel for the first time. It is definatley not a 4 star hotel. Upon entering our room we were overcome with the smell of must. So musty it took your breath away. We have a daughter with asthma so I went to the front desk immediately. I was told there were no other room available but they would send someone to the room to look at the problem. Well surprise surprise no one ever showed up. From reading other reviews it seems they are well aware of this problem. The smell was so bad that I think they are going to end up with sick people from the air quality. My daughter actually ended up in the drs office for extra meds today.We also bought a bottle of Febreeze with our own pocket money. Front desk employees looked to be about 16 years of age and were polite but of course have no recourse when handling problems. I believe there was a manager there when I complained and she actually just ignored the whole conversation which again led me to believe they know about the problem with air quality. Maybe a lawsuit from sick people will take care of it. They also, as stated in other reviews ran a photocopy of my license, Which made me uncomfortable as I have had my identity stolen in the past. I did get it back, after a long search upon checkout but only when I asked. I was told machine wasnt working which again probably not true as other reviewers state same issue. This motel is older and dingy looking. Definately does not deserve the stars it gets. I will never stay again and feel my savings on booking on priceline was no savings at all after paying for a Dr visit and a bottle of Febreeze because of their refusal to address a serious problem. Definately think twice before staying here.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
1  Thank lynWisconsin

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We stayed 3 nights. The room was clean and nice size. We had a problem with the toilet handle not working right, we left them know and they fixed it immeadily. The breakfast could of been a little more choices. The food was good especially the day they had bisquits and gravy. Very excellent tasting. We had a banquet there and the food was excellent. We had to laugh after just finish eating power went out for the whole area of town. The emergency lights came on but not quite enough light. The staff went out of there way to bring in a few lanterns, lit all the candles on the tables, and hung flashlight next to the bathrooms that you could use to see while using a bathroom. We still went on with the program. and power came back in a hour. The swimming pool and hot tub were wonderful. They also had a outside area you could go sit in.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 June 2014

This room had a bed I could actually sleep on. A very comfy bed and clean. The room was clean and well lit and the staff was friendly and professional. There was a couple of groups of children there (just my luck) but other than the occasional running in the hallways, it was fairly quiet.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Going Fishing near International Falls. We break up the trip and never know when we are going to leave our house and how traffic will be, so didn't make prior reservations and were still able to get a room with 2 beds and a rollaway by calling at 7 pm.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

I'm from Eau Claire, and this hotel was the best value for the area that I wanted my in-laws to stay at. The other options for the price either did not have a pool, were dated, or were on a sketchy side of town (around the industry area on the north side where menards general office and the distribution center is) which I didn't want them to stay at. My in-laws stayed for a week, they loved the breakfast and the housekeeper. They absolutely loved the comfort of the beds and that there was a bountiful amount of pillows. The hotel staff was very friendly and allowed us to eat outside meals as a family in the dining room. The only part of the hotel which I would say needed a little bit of work was the pool area, they have a lot of windows which lets natural light in, but the lights also must be on a timer so a lot of the time it was a tad dark if it was overcast outside. Which also made the pool a tad too cool, the youngest kid (a 2 year old) had issues with the pool being too cold and shivering. But the whirlpool was also pretty cool for being a whirlpool so the kids could enjoy the whirlpool with no issue of it being too hot. If the pool was a little more like the temperature of the whirlpool it would have been perfect. There is also a sunbathing deck next to the pool where people would walk out to then walk back in and go into the pool and whirlpool, so there was sand tracked in by the guests in the bottom of the whirlpool. Which was not an issue, but to someone more picky it could have been. All and all it was very good for the price we got the best package value price on priceline so they were guaranteed a comfortable room for 2 people. It was the best value that was in the area!

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Dark, dingy, depressing and dirty...but comfortable bed. I was very disappointed with the check in. The young girl at the front was not very professional. The hallway on my floor was so hot and humid from the laundry on the floor. My room was only two doors down, so it also made my room very hot and uncomfortable. It took quite a while to cool off. I slept with all the lights on because the room was so dirty, dark and depressing; I would not be surprised if the bugs came out when the lights went out. I did not want to take any chances.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 June 2014

We were passing through Eau Claire on our trip north so we wanted an overnight stay without paying an "arm and a leg". We were more than pleased with our room - sitting area with TV, microwave and fridge, plenty of towels, and separate bedroom and TV. We used the pool and whirlpool but found the pool cold - sorry I'm a wimp. The front desk staff - both evening and morning were very helpful. Other than having the exit ramp off of I-94 closed, we were pleased with our stay!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple