“Front Desk Clerk Arbitarily Cancelled My Confirmed Reservation”

Sleep Inn & Suites Conference Center
Ranked #13 of 25 Hotels in Eau Claire
Jacksonville, Florida
“Front Desk Clerk Arbitarily Cancelled My Confirmed Reservation”
Reviewed 9 August 2014

My spouse and I travel extensively and have held a Choice Hotels membership for several years. We are seniors and exhausted after several hours of travel. Five minutes before arriving at Sleep Inn, I received a phone message from the front desk clerk that she cancelled our confirmed reservation. She asserted there was a "glitch" in the computer system at the time I made the on-line reservation and Sleep Inn had no rooms. I have both an email confirmation and reservation number. I pleaded with the clerk to give us a room letting her know were were long term choice members, seniors, 5 minutes from the hotel, exhausted, and badly needing rest. She adamantly refused to honor our reservation.
From my perspective, there was no glitch, the system functioned properly with a confirmation email and reservation number. At the time I made the reservation, 3 rooms were available - per the system. The reservation even stated the cancellation threshold had already expired.
The desk clerk simply gave priority to someone else and we were left to search for a room on a busy Saturday Night. The clerk found us rooms at two other hotels -- one with a 49% Tripadvisor approval rating, the other with a 38% approval rating. I declined and we drove to another town - exhausted and furious. P.S. I talked to the manager's voice mail, with no response.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Stacey B, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Conference Center, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
The entire team at Sleep Inn & Suites Conference Center deeply apologizes. I am currently working with our franchise to find an answer as to why their system allowed itself to overbook us. Our staff felt terrible and recognized how inconvenient and unsatisfactory this scenario was. She was working hard to find a solution by contacting other properties for availability. We're disappointed we were unable to find another comparable property and left you with no other option than to continue traveling.

I regret all that took place and will be working diligently to research the IT issues that occurred.

Again our deepest regrets,
Stacey Bunkelman, GM & Staff

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Manitoba
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Our family stayed here on our way to Wisconsin Dells. Kids enjoyed the big pool and the hot tub was nice size as well. Rooms were also a good size and well appointed. Staff at the front desk were helpful and courteous, as we're the cleaning staff. Hotel was clean and well maintained. Beds were pretty good but not great. Breakfast was decent enough compared to other places that include breakfast but nothing special. Couple issues we had we the noisy fridge and people above us who had elephant feet at 6 am.

All in all, pretty good and I wouldn't discourage anyone from stay there.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Stacey B, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Conference Center, responded to this review, 29 July 2014
Thank you for choosing to stay with the Sleep Inn during your family vacation! Thank you as well for taking the time to offer your feedback regarding your stay. This enables us to continue to grow. We hope to see you again during future travels!
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This was my first time staying at a Sleep Inn and I was a little less than impressed. Things were chaotic at the front desk as there was a new employee training and there were a large number of guests checking in for a wedding. I have no problem with employees training but I feel that perhaps the timing could have been better. I was originally pleased that my room would be on the 3rd floor as I always request the highest floor. When I opened the door to the room, however, I found it had not been cleaned. As it was after 5 PM on a Friday, I found this to be rather preposterous. I returned to the desk and was offered a room on either the 2nd or the 1st floor. I took the room on the 2nd floor which was quite large and comfortable but had a view of the roof of the adjoining conference center. To say the least, the view was pretty awful and certainly not worth the same price as a room with a different view. Naturally there were children running around in the room directly above us, which is why I always request the top floor.

The staff was courteous and was able to get us a new room quickly, but I would have preferred to keep the original room and have it cleaned. There was no explanation as to why it was not cleaned when check-in had begun two hours earlier. I will admit that my aggravation with the situation probably colored my overall opinion, but the ridiculous view certainly didn't help matters. I didn't request a 3rd change because I knew how booked the hotel was with the wedding and I really hate being on the 1st floor (and who knows what THAT view would have been!).

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sally1382
Stacey B, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Conference Center, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience during your recent stay and failing to meet your expectations as our guest. We strive to exceed expectations and are quite embarrassed you encountered what you did. We have spoken as a team regarding your stay and thank you for your feedback.

Again we regret the service in which was extended.

Stacey Bunkelman, GM & Staff
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Stayed here over a weekend with no complaints. The room was clean, the breakfast was all right, and the staff was very friendly. There was a wedding reception one night, and they were pretty loud, but we couldn't hear them in our room. There is only one elevator at the far end of the hotel, so if you have a room on the second or third floor, don't bother parking in the rear lot.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Stacey B, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Conference Center, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Thanking you for being our guest and taking the time to extend your feedback regarding your recent stay. I'm happy we met your expectations however during your next stay I hope we exceed them! Again, we continue to grow by taking your thoughts seriously and putting them into action!

Enjoy your future travels!

Stevens Point, Wisconsin
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I have been staying here for business purposes almost monthly for 3-4 years. Grade A+ each visit. There are places to stay that are closer to my work site, but I'm not about to fix what ain't broken by staying elsewhere. The staff is great. Rooms are clean. Internet is speedy. Complimentary breakfast is so good! Bonus is the C-store and good, reasonably priced food at the restaurant.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank kryssi62
Stacey B, Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Conference Center, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
If there is ever anything we're able to do to make your home away from home more enjoyable please do not hesitate in bringing it to our attention.

Thank you for your loyalty!

Green Bay, Wisconsin
Reviewed 7 January 2014

I was very pleased with our stay. The location was not great for close access to the college campus or any shopping, but it's only a 15 minute drive away. With the gas station, pool, bar, restaurant right there, you really don't need to leave for anything. Very nice breakfast was included.

Room Tip: We stayed in the king suite. The king bed was great. The pullout sofa couch was not so comfortable...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Stacey B, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites Conference Center, responded to this review, 28 January 2014
Thank you for being a committed Choice hotels! It sounds as if we were a perfect fit for your travels! I'm glad we had the parking and amenities to make your stay with us convenient!

We look forward to your next stay with us!

Tracy
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We were on a business trip up to the Northern part of Michigan and in returning we wanted to get about to Eau Claire, WI before heading home the nest day. I looking in my Choice book and found the Sleep Inn just off Hwy 29 so would be perfect for us. I also noticed they had a restaurant attached which we like as we were pulling a car on a dolly and do not want to drive somewhere for dinner. it was perfect for our needs and they treated us very well. We wanted on the first floor but they told us we could be on the third floor as they had a number of families there for a hockey tournament and might be too noisy. We declined and said we would be fine.
The restaurant worked out very well and we had some wonderful soup. We had a king room with a sofa which we like. As it turned out we did not hear a thing all night so it was perfect. We will put this hotel on our list if we are in the area again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for being our recent guest! I agree, it is a short drive to campus or shopping but once you're here we try to have everything you'll need, under one roof! No need to go out in the cold!!

We hope to see you again in the near future!