“Home away from home” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Home away from home”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

Everything at the Landmark Resort was wonderful. The rooms are small Condos with a fully stocked kitchen including wine glasses which is perfect for Door County Wine Country. The room was very clean and lacked nothing! The resort is set in the middle of the woods with trails. The fall colors make the room view incredible. The main lobby has games to borrow for children. The staff is friendly and very helpful. This is a GREAT place to stay for a family vacation or a quiet romantic get away.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Jeff L, Public Relations Manager at Landmark Resort, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Guest satisfaction is one of the key ways to measure how well our resort is performing. Not only does our staff want to record solid guest satisfaction scores, but it’s safe to say that everyone at the resort wants to satisfy our guests. It is one of the reasons for opening the door every day. Thank you for the positive review. We read and learn from each and every review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Appleton, WI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

This was our second time staying at the Landmark. We found it to be adequate last time and decided to stay again. Honestly, for the price, you can't go wrong. A clean comfortable suite beats a hotel room any day. My husband and I stayed for two nights. Had no trouble with check in. Styed in the Navigator building. The suite was clean, a little worn but not too bad. Had a fully stocked kitchen complete with all necessary appliances. The view from our room was nothing great but we weren't going to be spending much time in the room. The bedroom, as mentioned in previous reviews, was extremely tight with only enough room to walk around the bed and had no television in it. My husband did use the hot tub and enjoyed it. Location wise, you are not within walking distance of any shopping, restaurants, etc. except for the Landmark's Resort Restaurant - Carrington's. Overall - it was a fine stay, no complaints.

1 Thank happytraveler,46
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013 via mobile

The trees were beautiful at the property. The room ok. Older decor and tube tvs. Bedrooms in room I was in did not have tvs. Friends' rooms did. Moldy smell in room throughout stay. Opened windows to try airing it out for a bit. Helped short term. Indoor whirlpool in building with room but pool is in different building across the way.

I will be back to area but not to this property.

• Stayed October 2013
Homer Glen, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

The last time we were in Door County we stayed at the Landing in Egg Harbor. While there we were exploring and found the Landmark. We thought it looked very nice and said that if we come back we would like to stay there. Well we did go back the end of September. We booked online and indicated that we would stay 4 nights. We booked a water view and paid extra for it. When we arrived, the lady at the front desk went over a lot of details about the restaurant, work out room, pools etc. We drove to our building and as another person indicated, we went down some stairs to get to our room. We couldn't wait to go out on the patio area to see our water view. What we saw were trees. If one of us stood at the far right of the patio area we could see a little water. I called the front desk and told them about this. The lady told me that it said online that it was an AMTY (I don't remember the exact word she used) water view. She said that she checked the other buildings and there were no rooms available with our length of stay. She gave us a 10% discount and suggested we use at their onsite restaurant. I thanked her but was disappointed.

We enjoyed all the things we did but found that we missed our dogs and wanted to go home a day early. When we went to check out the lady at the desk told me that we were checked out already. That surprised us and I told her that we were not supposed to be checking out until the nest day, but we were going to be leaving a day early. Then she got another lady to come over and see what was going on. She was able to get the info and informed us that we would be charged a $75.00 early check out fee. I asked her why I would be charged this and she let me know that it was in our contract when we booked. I asked if there was any way that could be waived and she said no it is the owners policy. She did go on to say it could only be waived if we were leaving due to an emergency. When I asked if there was someone I could call about the situation, she gave me a phone number with a lady's name to call.

The following Monday I called the number I was given and asked for the lady. I was told that she would not be in until Tuesday. On Tuesday morning I called again and was told she didn't come in until 10:00am. I called again and explained my situation and asked if anything could be done. She asked me to hold while she checked with someone since she was a newer manager. I said okay. She came back on the line and informed me that it was the owners policy and that there was nothing she could do. She went on to let me know that she was emailing me a copy of the reservation so I could read the info myself. I realize that there are policies, fees, and rules. I guess I was just a bit disappointed that we finally had enough money to stay at the hotel we saw a while back with a water view but did not really have a water view and the customer service extended by the owners is a bit cold.

The reason I started this by bring up the Landing Hotel is because when we stayed there we came on a motorcycle. We were leaving the hotel to go to dinner and it was raining a little. The lady at the front desk called us over, reached in her purse and tried to hand us her car keys. She said that she knew we were on the motorcycle and offered us the use of her car so we wouldn't get wet. We could not believe her generosity. We let her know that we were just going down the street and would be okay. We could not thank her enough. The Landmark may be a beautiful hotel in a great area, but the Landing far exceeded it in the customer care and the service they offer. I guess the owners at the Landmark do a great job promoting their water view and reenforcing their policies.

I suppose if I really wanted the $75.00 fee back,I could have lied to the lady on the phone and said that we had an emergency. However I have too much integrity to do that. I'm sure in these economic times the owners of the Landmark need it more than me. Next visit we will be staying at the Landing. The hospitality was outstanding and the water view is just a walk up the street at the local park.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank vlhmrh
MINNESOTA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

This resort is located in a beautiful wooded setting near the water and a short drive to town. We stayed in The Navigator Building on first floor. (You enter on 2nd floor, and have to go down stairs to get to first floor) The hallways were a bit tattered. The condo was definitely an "owners condo" which had some great furnishings, but way too many of them. The bed was comfortable.
We paid extra for a "water view", but there were so many trees between the condo and water, you couldn't see but a sliver of water. I complained to the front desk about it, but they just shrugged their shoulders. If you book a water view, confirm with them that you want to "see" the water. Other reviews talk about the beautiful view, so there must be some rooms that you can see the water. The condo was clean and well equipped for cooking. The vanity area was very small and crowded with all of the owners "furnishings". The lobby was well done and updated. We also tried the restaurant and were very pleased.

Room Tip: If you want a "water view" room, call the resort to confirm that. With the beautiful wood...
1 Thank PATTYLOU51
Milwaukee
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

Made a reservation in June to stay here the first weekend in October. Got to the room (in the Harbor building) and the living room was nice (nice furniture, coffee table, chairs) but the kitchenette looks like it has seen better days. Went to the bedroom and it was the equivalent of a bedroom you'd find in the back of an RV, extremely small and hard to get around the bed. Not until we arrived did we realize our unit was privately owned (the site mentions that on their FAQs but saw that after the fact) and they also had an ill placed sign on the counter denoting our unit was 'for sale'. The room was deemed a lake view, but what that really means is the lake is about 1000 yards away and inaccessible from the resort.The staff was friendly and did recommend the on-site restaurant but after visiting one evening I would travel to a restaurant in Egg Harbor or Fish Creek first as the food quality was average and the prices were unfortunately steep. Otherwise, the room was okay but if we were to return to the area would look for other accommodations.

1 Thank Likes2Travel414
Siesta Key, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

The pluses were: we were able to get a 2 BR/2B unit on short notice; it was clean and had everything we needed; it would be a good unit for a few days visiting the area. The minuses: the onsite restaurant was closed; it is a mile from the water and nearest stores; our unit had a view of the parking lot (which was fine since we wanted the cheapest unit accommodating us). It was definitely acceptable for our purposes, but if I were staying in Door County for a longer visit I would look into some of the cute places closer to the towns and water in Egg Harbor, Fish Creek or one of the own small towns,.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Egg Harbor
#2 of 10 in Fish Creek
Country House Resort
Country House Resort
#1 of 17 in Sister Bay

Been to Landmark Resort? Share your experiences!