“mixed feelings about Alpine”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Egg Harbor
Alpine Resort & Golf
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Egg Harbor
Minneapolis
“mixed feelings about Alpine”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2012

The view - nothing better than seeing majestic Lake Michigan. You can even sit on the lodge porch and rock and watch the waves. There is a big entertainment room where you can read, play games or cards. The staff- beyond wonderful and friendly. The food - very nice for breakfast, didn't try any other meal. The cottages - NO WAY!

This was the only place I could find a 3-bedroom and I had heard it was "rustic" and that would have been okay. Our cottage had a fabulous view facing the lake. A welcoming park area for picnicking. But the cottage "Wisconsin" smelled so bad of mold that I could barely breathe. Two sons are allergic and they were stuffed up for the entire weekend. In addition, the front, bathroom, & bedroom doors all stuck and the sound of opening them carried throughout - if one person is up the entire cottage is up. I don't know if the other cottages have the mold problem. Saw alot of kids having a ball swimming, biking (free bikes) and laughing with their families. I would not go back unless I stayed in the lodge.

I did look at the rooms in the lodge and they were also simple and small, but would be adequate because they did not seem to smell of mold. Old style vacationing for families. So close to Egg Harbor you could bike or walk if necessary.

Room Tip: Pick more expensive room in the lodge and you'll be happier.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2012

We've been all around the USA, Europe, Asia, South America, etc. staying in the best and not-so-good hotels everywhere... So how does the Alpine rank? Fantastically nostalgic with wonderful furnishings and ambience. Here's what I like... No flat screens, no complex-wide internet, no bellmen, bad cell reception, few snobs... This is not a glitzy resort, but that is EXACTLY what our family loved about the Alpine. Here's what they have... A nice pool, a great beach down the road with kayaks, windsurfing, beautiful shoreline, nice pier, great view of Lake Michigan (Green Bay), nice golf course, nice cottages, families hanging out, listenting to old time bands, playing scrabble, ping pong, pool, cards, reading, playing tennis, picnicing, etc. If you're expecting to be pampered and treated like royalty, you're in the wrong place. It's clean, our kingsize bed (room 311) had a pillow-top mattress and was super comfortable, had an adjoining room (313) which was nice for the kids. This was our first visit, exactly what we wanted, and we will be back. Boy, am I glad we didn't pay attention to the poor reviews posted here!

Bartlett, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2012

Having just returned from a 3 night stay, my wife and I thoroughly enjoyed the Alpine. This is not a 5 star resort, very quaint and it takes you back in time. We found the room very clean, had a nice tv and shower. The bed was a bit too firm for our liking. The staff was friendly, and we enjoyed the nightly entertainment, jazz band, hayride etc... The view was spectacular, pool clean, but a bit small., and nice clean beach. We went there with some reservations, but we're pleased with the experience and we will definitely go back again. This place is off the main drag, but very restful and close to everything if you want to explore. If you like a place with some character, with an old fashioned inn feeling , this is the place you should consider...this place reminded my wife of "HolidayInn"

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
New Bern, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2012

This is a fascinating place. Everywhere you look you think TLC. But you know what? It's clean and functional. The people at the desk, in the restaurant, TJ in the bar and Bill in the mini-bar were always helpful and eager to come to your assistance. The food at the restaurant was mid-western fare - comfort food. The views are great and the grounds are inviting. If you're looking for a Marriott - look elsewhere. This is an old-time family vacation refuge. Wonderfully preserved, yet needing a great deal of work - It would cost millions to upgrade it to approximate a Marriott - thank God that will never happen.

Room Tip: Get a Bay view !!
1 Thank Guhor1966
Grayslake, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2012

The story behind the resort and the lobby area has some character, but basically I felt like I was camping....I was appauled that they would charge $130 a night for a room and bathroom so small and out dated. Thet were able to update the lobby women's restroom quite a bit, but why not spend some of that updating the rooms...I will NEVER stay there again or recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Dont choose a room here
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank DEC3610

Travellers are raving about these Egg Harbor hotels

Bloomingdale, Illinois, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2012

We rented a cottage and I would describe the decor as "early Goodwill". Our cottage had a double bed and 3 single beds, yet only a love seat for seating. The carpet which I think has been around since the 70's was the color of a Hershey's Chocolate Bar and the bedding and couch were blue (not a good combo). My husband and I joked that the dust mites in the bed had probably been building since the place opened. The resort offers free bikes. When we went to use the free bikes we found a bunch of thrift store rejects. I can deal with an old bike, but these were in awful shape with rusted chains and gears. There was not one mountain bike and my son was not thrilled with the thought of riding a purple or pink bike. The resort also has ping pong tables (2 total for the whole resort) and the paddles (chipped and not rubber pad to hit the ball) have not been replaced since the place opened in the 1920s. I ask you how expensive are ping pong paddles. We decided to play the free shuffle board. The disks were all chipped and the sticks to push the disks were broken on the end to push the disk. Again how expensive would it be to replace the sticks and discs? The free row boat was also in bad shape. Each time we rowed the oars lost a chunk of wood on a screw that was sticking up on a poorly maintained boat. The dining room was okay and the food was average. The location is beautiful and right on the water, but the lodge is just be left to fall into further disrepair. The tv was old an offered about 7 stations and the picture was fuzzy. No wifi except in the lodge.The lodge did offer a good jazz band for entertainment in the evening. Maid service was just okay. The toilet had a poo splatter inside the bowl that was with us for the entire visit so that tells you the depth of the cleaning. This place has loads of potential, but the owners just do not care. The beach was nice but not a single chair or umbrella was offered for the resort. The public beach next door had chairs. Fishing polls that were offered could not be cast they were just drop in the water models. Our feeling is the owners are just waiting to retire and don't want to sink a single penny in to making this place a decent. I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
3 Thank Leigh C
Palatine, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2012

My family decided to lake a last minute, last hurrah of the summer, to Door County. After searching on the internet we came accross Alpine "Resort" which was one of the few places that stlll had vacancies. Now I know why. This so-called resort is an absolute joke. Old, dark, dingy, dank and depressing are words that come to mind when I think of how to describe this place. Rooms are small with even smaller bathrooms. I have seen better showers at campsites. The water was either scalding hot or freezing cold; I was afraid to have my kids take showers here. The "dining room" or whatever they call it, was terrible; overpriced and the food was mediocre at best. And beware, you will be nickle and dimed to death here. We are a family of 5 and were charged over $50 extra for two nights for 3 additional people. We requested a cot(for $5 per night) that was stained and didn't come with any bed sheets except for a small, old wrinkled pink bedspread with holes. I complained and had to wait 30 minutes for a new cot. Coffee in the am was offered for $1 with .50 refills in tiny white styrofoam cups. The common areas were poorly lit, musty smelling, and desolate. Absolutely no securtiy... anyone could walk in at any time, at any hour, and no one would stop them. None of the doors are locked at night and you don't need any key to get in so anyone off the street can come and there are many ways to get in - nothing locked.

Management/owners clearly don't care about their guests or their "resort" When I brought my concerns to their attention, they merely said, "I'm sorry you feel that way." They are probably so used to hearing complaints that they are just immune to it. I could go on and on but I am getting angy again just writing this review. And in reading the other reviews, I am not alone. I can only assume the positive reviews came from within to try to off set all the negative ones. Bottom line....DO NOT STAY HERE. It will ruin your vacation.

5 Thank KAREN A
#1 of 17 in Sister Bay
Homestead Suites
Homestead Suites
#2 of 10 in Fish Creek

Been to Alpine Resort & Golf? Share your experiences!