“Don't eat in their dinning rooom!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Egg Harbor
Alpine Resort & Golf
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Egg Harbor
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We made the mistake of eating dinner here after taking a tour of the property. We thought we might stay here on a later trip. It was Thursday night and there couldn't have been more than six active tables. The four of us ordered drinks. One of us ordered a pinot grigio. The waitress brought a pinot noir. When he pointed out the error, the waitress accused him of ordering the pinot noir, although she did make the correction.

It took 45 minutes before we received our food. Two of us had ordered ribeye steaks, medium rare. Shoe leather would have been tastier for both. One of the people spent the next 12 hours with lower GI problems.

There was a great view and comparisons to the resort in Dirty Dancing were made. We did not have a room or cabin here, but with the experience we had in the dinning room, we won't be back.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank halfmast

Reviewed 17 July 2013

This resort is like entering a museum. They have artifacts from their existence almost 90 years ago displayed in large cases in the resort. It is like being in a OLD Swiss chalet. We felt like we were on the set of Dirty Dancing. There was a Lawrence Welk era band playing in the lobby at night. Old porch with Adirondack chairs. Beautiful view of the Lake. I have to say that we loved our breakfast: Gus' omelettes. They serve their toast with local cherry jam; delicious!

BTW, our room was really small and the amenities deserved a 3 star rating. I was happy they had AC in the room, but it blows right on you The shower stalls are a thin plastic and there wasn't any shampoo, but it was all we needed. You can walk into "town" in 5 minutes along a walking trail. Cute shops and beautiful marina. I gave the sunset watching there five stars...

Room Tip: We paid $20 extra for a room with a view. There was no balcony, just a small window that you could...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 May 2013

We stayed, for the first time, at Alpine Resort over Memorial Day. We've stayed at all the newer resorts in Door County and none come close to the great service and hospitality we received at the Alpine. A historic hotel and superb location along Green Bay in Egg Harbor. We loved the accommodations and full breakfast each morning. If you want new, stay at a newer place. If you want serenity, beautiful scenery and genuine hospitality stay at the Alpine. We will be back!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank JM135178
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Went there for many years only good thing left are the Golf Courses. The family has taken the money and never uodated this place. A great location but go stay somewhere elde and play the Golf Course. When I grew up it was a wonderful place to stay, but the family never updated this Resort. John and Bill must be looking down and saying, How could you do this to what we Built many many years ago. I blame the current owners. Time to totally Re-do.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
10  Thank Howard S
alpineresort, Owner at Alpine Resort & Golf, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2013

My name is Emily and I appreciate your blog. As you know, our family resort has a history and heritage of providing a great vacation destination for many generations. We have a rich and strong foundation in Door County.

We offer a detailed history tour of Alpine and Egg Harbor and invite you to join us and discover the many changes and improvements that have been made over the years including the most recent changes this past winter. Please call us or email us and we will personally guide you through this tour. Our email address is alpine@itol.com and our phone number is 1-888-281-8128. I look forward to your reply.

Reviewed 5 April 2013

My family and I visited this resort in Egg Harbor last year with our family and totally fell in love with it. I have two sons, ages 10 and 13. There was so much to do and my boys are extremely active. From swimming at the beach to tennis to golf, the place kept us busy.

Most importantly was the care and maintenance of the resort and the golf course. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The care of this grand resort was unmatched, especially the upkeep of the accommodations. This is one of the most historical and unique places that I have found in Door County. I've taken my family to other locations in Door County but this place is one of a kind.

I've made my reservations for this year and my family can not wait until our next visit. We know we'll have a wonderful visit. We loved it!

Room Tip: Tell the staff about your family and the ages of your children. They will help recommend a room or...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank jimh415
alpineresort, Owner at Alpine Resort & Golf, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2013

I’m Emily and my family and I are happy that you enjoyed your stay at our resort. Our goal is to provide a clean, safe, fun environment for our guests.

We look forward to your return visit this summer and we appreciate the confidence you have in Alpine. We hope to continue to provide your family a true Door County experience.

Reviewed 27 January 2013

I agree with disappointed commenters. We were there during heat wave and small room AC units in the windows were ok but rest of hotel was stuffy and almost unbearable. We have a small daughter with heart condition and the lack of central AC plus ancient slowest elevator ever were huge turn offs. I had asked/told staff when i reserved over phone about need for AC and wouldve been nice if staff had clarified to me then that rooms had window units but nothing else was air conditioned. We almost left the moment we arrived and saw our adjoining rooms, but didn't know where else we would go on a holiday weekend with our family of 5 (3 kids under 4) being 5 hours from home. We spent almost no time at the resort for the reasons already shared by other reviewers. Particularly disappointed that their "private beach" was 10-15 min walk down the road to a public beach that just had a sign posted private corner for hotel guests. Beach was big reason for us picking resort with own beach, but it was a total waste and very misleading. I thought the meal we had there was just ok, though one kid's pasta was gluey and inedible. My husband thought it was like "roughing it" and that parts of main lodge were charming in an old antique store kind of way. I just thouht it looked dingy and gross. We will never EVER return.

• Stayed: July 2012
8  Thank hamfamilyof5
Reviewed 19 October 2012

How we wished we had read the reviews before we booked 3 nights in a "cottage" at this resort. As we drove up to the resort in the late afternoon we immediately thought we had been misled by their advertisments. What sat before us what an old, dilapidated building that was in desperate need of maintenance. On check-in the staff were courteous but we were a little puzzled about why they requested payment in full up front, when usually hotels will ask for this when you leave so refused to pay the balance until check out.We were directed to the cottage accommodation and were appalled at the condition of the facilities and furnishings offered to us. We were completely put off by rooms that were old, poorly kept, and dingy. There was nothing "quaint "about it – it is just old and tatty. The carpet was filthy and full of stains. Nothing was properly sanitized. The bed linens so old that you could almost see through the sheets and the towels grey and rough. There was the strong smell of mildew and unclean conditions. The cottage was little more than a shack It did not meet standards described in their advertisement for a two bedroom property. In one corner sat an old TV. The other corner had old cabinets containing a sink, small microwave & mini-fridge. A 2-person couch sat on the opposite wall. There was no crockery or cooking equipment and except for a mini bar of soap, there weren't any other amenities in the bathroom such as a hair dryer. Everything--furniture, carpet, windows, walls and bathroom was very dated --35 + years old. We decided to go back to reception and tell them that we could not stay and were offered alternative accommodation, which on inspection was equally appalling. At this point we left and stating that we would like our deposit returned and we would not authorize any further charges. Needeless to say due to their terms & conditions we havent seen our money and are in the process of negotiating further. This facility had been grossly misrepresented on the website and they should not be in the tourist board brochure as they do not reflect the standard of accomadations available in Door County.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
12  Thank UKvisitor122

Hi, I’m Emily, third generation of Alpine Resort. Thank you for your blog. I guess I’m old-fashioned. I believe that you would have talked to me honestly and in person if you were not pleased with our family resort.

Our resort was built in 1921 by my grandfather and great uncle, Paul and John Bertschinger. We focus on clean and well-maintained accommodations where families and loved ones can truly enjoy their time together on the Door County shoreline. We accommodate approximately 6,800 visitors at our resort each season and make every attempt to ensure everything is maintained, in good condition and ready for a fun vacation.

We continue to remodel our property every year during our off season (we’re a summer resort and we’re open from late May through late October). I’m disappointed that you were not able to appreciate our history and heritage. Yes, the property has been here for generations. And yes, we will continue to work on our remodeling projects in the winter.

I would like to communicate with you directly. Please contact me at through our email or by phone. Our email address is alpine@itol.com and our phone number is 1-888-281-8128.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Egg Harbor
Westwood Shores Waterfront Resort
Edgewater Resort
Edgewater Resort
#2 of 8 in Ephraim

Been to Alpine Resort & Golf? Share your experiences!