“Past its prime!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Egg Harbor
Alpine Resort & Golf
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Egg Harbor
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Past its prime!”
Reviewed 7 August 2013

We were looking forward to staying at this landmark property but, we were disappointed. For the money, it definitely was not worth it. However, our room had a wonderful view, The bathroom was ancient and the toilet seat was in need of replacement. We did not dare open the shower door. The wallpaper on the ceiling and walls had not been replaced in the last 30 years. The bed linens were clean but very old. The hollow-core room door did not lock but, had a chain. The resort needs millions of dollars of improvements to make it an incredible property. We were happy to leave!

Room Tip: dated rooms
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Jim K

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
LaCrosse, WI
Reviewed 5 August 2013

We've been coming to DC for years, but have never stayed here before and never will again. We rented a guest house, which we know was rented the previous week because we originally wanted that week. When we walked in the place smelled awful. I literally had to hold my hand over my mouth to keep from throwing up. I am currently 8 months pregnant so definitely more sensitive to smells than most, but everyone agreed the place reeked. We had to go out and buy dish towels because we were only given one (after we asked for it) so we also bought air fresheners and deodorizers. It helped the smell in the air pretty well, but no matter how many times we sprayed fabric refresher on the furniture it continued to smell terrible. I refused to be barefoot anywhere inside the house--including the shower! Other members of my family did go barefoot and the bottoms of their feet were black. In addition, they are advertised to have air conditioning, which consisted of a window air conditioner on the first floor of a two story house. Luckily during our stay we didn't need A/C because I have no faith it would have cooled the upstairs. We found the major aspects to be completely disgusting, but even small relatively easy/inexpensive things to fix were bad--the towel bar was half falling out of the wall, the blinds were old, discolored and didn't work, the whisk basically disintegrated and gave us rusty eggs. I could really go on for awhile detailing every disgusting, dirty, or broken thing. I was shocked that the place was so busy because I cannot imagine anyone going back for a second visit.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank Jaime P

Travellers are raving about these Egg Harbor hotels

Prairie du Sac, WI
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We made the mistake of eating dinner here after taking a tour of the property. We thought we might stay here on a later trip. It was Thursday night and there couldn't have been more than six active tables. The four of us ordered drinks. One of us ordered a pinot grigio. The waitress brought a pinot noir. When he pointed out the error, the waitress accused him of ordering the pinot noir, although she did make the correction.

It took 45 minutes before we received our food. Two of us had ordered ribeye steaks, medium rare. Shoe leather would have been tastier for both. One of the people spent the next 12 hours with lower GI problems.

There was a great view and comparisons to the resort in Dirty Dancing were made. We did not have a room or cabin here, but with the experience we had in the dinning room, we won't be back.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank halfmast
Munster, Indiana
Reviewed 17 July 2013

This resort is like entering a museum. They have artifacts from their existence almost 90 years ago displayed in large cases in the resort. It is like being in a OLD Swiss chalet. We felt like we were on the set of Dirty Dancing. There was a Lawrence Welk era band playing in the lobby at night. Old porch with Adirondack chairs. Beautiful view of the Lake. I have to say that we loved our breakfast: Gus' omelettes. They serve their toast with local cherry jam; delicious!

BTW, our room was really small and the amenities deserved a 3 star rating. I was happy they had AC in the room, but it blows right on you The shower stalls are a thin plastic and there wasn't any shampoo, but it was all we needed. You can walk into "town" in 5 minutes along a walking trail. Cute shops and beautiful marina. I gave the sunset watching there five stars...

Room Tip: We paid $20 extra for a room with a view. There was no balcony, just a small window that you could...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed 30 May 2013

We stayed, for the first time, at Alpine Resort over Memorial Day. We've stayed at all the newer resorts in Door County and none come close to the great service and hospitality we received at the Alpine. A historic hotel and superb location along Green Bay in Egg Harbor. We loved the accommodations and full breakfast each morning. If you want new, stay at a newer place. If you want serenity, beautiful scenery and genuine hospitality stay at the Alpine. We will be back!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank JM135178
Las Cruces, New Mexico
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Went there for many years only good thing left are the Golf Courses. The family has taken the money and never uodated this place. A great location but go stay somewhere elde and play the Golf Course. When I grew up it was a wonderful place to stay, but the family never updated this Resort. John and Bill must be looking down and saying, How could you do this to what we Built many many years ago. I blame the current owners. Time to totally Re-do.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
10 Thank Howard S
alpineresort, Owner at Alpine Resort & Golf, responded to this review, 19 April 2013
My name is Emily and I appreciate your blog. As you know, our family resort has a history and heritage of providing a great vacation destination for many generations. We have a rich and strong foundation in Door County.

We offer a detailed history tour of Alpine and Egg Harbor and invite you to join us and discover the many changes and improvements that have been made over the years including the most recent changes this past winter. Please call us or email us and we will personally guide you through this tour. Our email address is alpine@itol.com and our phone number is 1-888-281-8128. I look forward to your reply.
elmhurst, il
Reviewed 5 April 2013

My family and I visited this resort in Egg Harbor last year with our family and totally fell in love with it. I have two sons, ages 10 and 13. There was so much to do and my boys are extremely active. From swimming at the beach to tennis to golf, the place kept us busy.

Most importantly was the care and maintenance of the resort and the golf course. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The care of this grand resort was unmatched, especially the upkeep of the accommodations. This is one of the most historical and unique places that I have found in Door County. I've taken my family to other locations in Door County but this place is one of a kind.

I've made my reservations for this year and my family can not wait until our next visit. We know we'll have a wonderful visit. We loved it!

Room Tip: Tell the staff about your family and the ages of your children. They will help recommend a room or...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank jimh415
alpineresort, Owner at Alpine Resort & Golf, responded to this review, 18 April 2013
I’m Emily and my family and I are happy that you enjoyed your stay at our resort. Our goal is to provide a clean, safe, fun environment for our guests.

We look forward to your return visit this summer and we appreciate the confidence you have in Alpine. We hope to continue to provide your family a true Door County experience.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Egg Harbor
#2 of 8 in Ephraim
Homestead Suites
Homestead Suites
#3 of 10 in Fish Creek

Been to Alpine Resort & Golf? Share your experiences!