“LOVE THE OSTHOFF!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Elkhart Lake
Buffalo Grove, Illinois
“LOVE THE OSTHOFF!”
Reviewed 13 June 2011

If you live in the midwest, and even if you do not, you owe it to yourself to visit the Osthoff Resort. The Osthoff is located in Elkhart Lake WI, and is about 60 miles/60 minutes straight north from the Milwaukee airport, about 3 hours from downtown Chicago, and only 2 hours from the north suburbs of Chicago.

The Osthoff is a large, elegant resort situated on the shore of the 300-acre Elkhart Lake - around which lies the sleepy little town of Elkhart Lake WI. Nearby is the world class auto racing facility, Road America - one of the country's oldest and best road courses.

The Osthoff is elegant, spacious and restful - the lake is beautiful, with motors allowed six days a week, and Sundays being quiet Sundays - paddles or electric motors only.

There's a huge selection of rooms, from multi-room condos (Ask for 202A! - fantastic!) to small hotel rooms. Food is great and there are fantastic restaurants in town including The Paddock Club, Lakeside Tavern and the resort's own Lola's On The Lake.

HIGHLY recommended!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Roscoe, Illinois
Reviewed 29 March 2011

my husband and I got a special deal from Travelzoo.com for a wooded view room for only $99 including $20 toward dinner a this resort...we decided to take advantage & go on a road trip for a late Valentines present to each other. Our GPS took us on a scenic drive thru the Kettle Moraine Forest-it was snowing but it was still gorgeous. When we arrived all we could say was "ah"...very nice outside-upon check in-it was fast & friendly. We checked into our room-it was absolutely stunning. All granite tops/new applianes-fancy doors/dark mahogony and this was in the kitchen & bathroom. Bed had a pillowtop-very comfy-bath had a whirlpool-big enuf for us both-had fully furnished kitchen and water, etc in frig if u wanted to pay extra but we took a cooler full of goodies. I had upgraded prior to check in to a lakeside view for $50 more-so the only negative thing is that our view was the courtyard-i guess all the rooms were full as there were alot of army guys staying there-so with that- i didn't create a fuss but did call front desk & they couldnt give us anything better which was ok since lake was covered w/snow anyway. We traveled to town, a street over! ate at the brown baer and had a few drinks at the lincoln bar-played pull tabs and won over $100 (putting in only 20!). We ate at our resort for dinner, had a burger at Ottos-was ok. Had a drink at Lolas, very nice but bartender a little snobby. Late that night we did order room service & had an awesome pizza from ottos for $17, well worth it! We played pac-man at the arcade there and then used the pool before retiring (could not use the hot tub at the resort as it was way too hot!) overall, we loved this place, clean, spacious, friendly and gorgeous.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Christie S
Waterford, Wisconsin
Reviewed 22 March 2011

Our visit to the Osthoff Resort from March 18th to the 20th 2011 was for a girl’s winter retreat (Gathering of the Goddesses March 2011). We stayed in room 444 (a Lakeside Premier suite). We were told the room had a special decorating and the staff at the front desk said they thought it was the nicest room in the resort. I don’t know what the other suites look like but the suite was fantastic. It was lofted with 2 bedrooms and a full bath on the 2nd floor. There was a powder room on the first floor along with the master bathroom. Every room was amply spacious and very, very comfortable. The kitchen had quartz counters with very attractive cabinetry. The living room was in a turret with a floor to ceiling slate gas fireplace. Perfect for the cold March evenings consumed with glasses of wine and girl talk. The only time we ate at the resort was room service for breakfast Saturday. Everything we ordered from the eggs and potatoes, to omelet and pancakes were superb. You MUST try the baked berry pancake. We ate at the local pubs and restaurants for the other meals. Each “eatery” had its own style and very good dishes. The Brown Baer had a delicious tuna melt on a ciabatta bread. The Loading Zone has a very good fish fry and the Paddock Club has wonderful finer dining. The shops were eclectic ranging from jewelry, fine art, high end crafts and metalwork, to old treasures (at very reasonable prices I might add). As far as the staff at the Osthoff, they were extremely professional yet personal. Really nice people. I was told the north wing has been recently redecorated so perhaps what others have written reflected the south wing. I would think that wing is next to be redecorated. It was a perfect girl’s retreat and will definitely go back – maybe it will be an annual event!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank 4seasonlover777
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 7 March 2011

This was a great resort for a weekend girls getaway. The suite was very elegant with a complete kitchen/dining table, living room with gas fire place, balcony with table/chairs, and a separate bedroom with a dream bathroom (enormous jacquzi tub). Everything was sparkling clean and quiet. We never saw or heard any other guests in our wing, although room service plates in the hallway outside of a room indicated otherwise.

We had dinner and cocktails at Lola's on the Lake and loved every course and drink all for very affordable prices (compared to Chicago restaurants). We didn't try the spa. We went offsite and received hour long massages for half the cost of Aspira's prices.

The only negative I can think of was that a hotel employee knocked on the door an hour before checkout to ask "our plans for the rest of the day". Probably code for "are you leaving already?", which I have NEVER had happen before check out time at any other resort. There are worse things, but it was a bit off-putting for a higher-end resort. I was unable to get any cell phone signal in the room (T-Mobile), but my friend did with Verizon.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank CupcakeFanatic999
Warrens, Wisconsin
Reviewed 26 February 2011

I stayed here for a convention. I shared a 2-bedroom suite with a coworker. It was huge! She was upstairs and I downstairs. We each had our own bathroom. There was a kitchen, a living room, dining table, and a balcony. Very comfortable! I saw other rooms coworkers had. It seemed nearly each room was different. I liked the jacuzzi suites.
Staff was friendly and the hotel was nice and clean.
The meals were all catered by the hotel. The lunch and breakfast buffets were very good. We had a wide variety on them. The dinners at the convention were not so good though. There were bones in my chicken pasta dish (yuck, shredded chicken on a pasta shouldn't have bones). I also had a portabella mushroom dish, the mushroom was very burnt and crispy. Also it tasted very, very heavily of soy sauce. The flavor was horrible and I only ate a couple bites. Desserts were very good.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank RanaMuck
Milwaukee
Reviewed 16 February 2011

I had the pleasure of staying at a wonderful spot for business but felt like I was on summer vacation as a kid. The hotel is so relaxed and welcoming that even the stress of working during the day was quickly melted away. The town is very friendly and a brief walk around the downtown brought me back to the times I went on vacation to the lake with my folks! Great restaurants, fun shops, cute beach with a food stand, boat rentals, volleyball, bike riding, fishing, 3 pools, 2 hot tubs, great bands at the bars with plenty of nightlife, a wonderful spa, you name it and you have it available to you. The price is on the high side but with the large kitchen units you can save big and also build some memories taking turns cooking your favorite meal. There is a great grocery store within walking distance so no need to haul the ingredients. Plenty to do within the area also but I will take those sights in the next time I visit. I was just happy to be "at the lake" for my summer vacation.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank milwsccaregistrar
Combined Locks, Wisconsin
Reviewed 8 December 2010

I booked our family the $149 Holiday Package which included 2 tickets to their Old World XMAS Market. It was a Saturday night and they appeared to be hosting several XMAS parties & weddings but it played to our advantage as it freed up the pool and hot tub. A previous review said the water was cold. Quite the contrary the pool was warm and the hot tub was nice & hot. I hate it when it's set at a whimpy temp for the masses. I'm not a shopper but I have to say that the Old World XMAS Market was quite unique. It has a German flavor with lots of winter crafts and food. We also did the Sunday brunch with Kris Kringle and his reindeer, Prancer. They had a live reindeer for the kids to pet and take pictures with. The gentleman who played Kris Kringle might be the real Kris Kringle because he looked just like him. I'm still checking that out. The food at the brunch was good but other than the desserts it wasn't anything memorable. Overall a terrific stay. Was a nice way to get a surge of holiday spirit.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
#3 of 5 in Plymouth
Harbor Winds
Harbor Winds
#6 of 11 in Sheboygan

Been to The Osthoff Resort? Share your experiences!