“Beautiful Handicap Accessible Rooms!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Osthoff Resort

The Osthoff Resort
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Elkhart Lake
Ripon, Wi
“Beautiful Handicap Accessible Rooms!”
Reviewed 9 February 2014

FANTASTIC hotel!

We were just there for a convention this weekend. We had a 2-room HC Accessible suite, rooms 411A and 411B. The rooms are very beautiful and more than spacious! We had a kitchenette, a pantry with basic plates and utensils and pots and pans. A dining table for 4, a couch and 2 chairs and a fireplace! The bedroom had a wardrobe with a TV in it but you can't open one side all the way because the door to the wardrobe and the bathroom door get in the way of each other. I think if they moved the wardrobe 6 inches to the left, that would solve that.

There was plenty of room to drive my scooter in the kitchenette, living room and even the bedroom and bathroom! There is a large area next to the toilet for parking a wheelchair or scooter. The shower is a very nice zero barrier shower with nice adaptable fixtures, and there is also a whirlpool tub with HC bars on all sides for easy in/easy out! You can pull a wheelchair right under the bathroom sink, which is a great feature. One thing I always recommend that hotels change in handicapped rooms is that they had glass glasses in the bathroom with tile floors. Glass is not a good option for many handicapped people because we frequently have trouble holding onto things. I would change that to a nice looking plastic glass, just to avoid problems.

HANDICAPPED TRAVELS NOTE: 411B appeared to have a regular height bed but 411A (these are adjoining rooms) had a VERY high bed. I'm 5'10" and had to have help climbing in! If you have difficulties with this, take this into consideration. I estimate it was about 30 inches from the floor!

Everything was extremely clean. There are a couple of minor cosmetic areas that need touching up such as dings in furniture, but every hotel has this and they seem to do a pretty good job of dealing with the details.

Our wing had 2 elevators, one on either end. However, they are small elevators and the doors close VERY FAST, so be prepared to move! Twice I missed the elevator because I had to back up to let people out and I couldn't get to the door before it closed.

Employees are great and were really helpful. When we checked in we had a minor housekeeping issue (coffee grounds spilled in the mini fridge) but they were there 10 minutes after we called and had it cleaned up perfectly.

All in all I LOVED this hotel and would love to go back again!

Room Tip: Suite 411A/411B is VERY nice and is close to banquet facilites if you are attending a convention.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Kathy R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Brookfield, Wisconsin
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Just a wonderful place for couples and families to spend some time. In the summer it has one of the great family beaches in the Midwest. It isn't huge but it is just the right size lake and just the right amount of people to make you remember what resort vacations should be about. Love to rent a kayak and paddle around the lake. Very nice beach for children as they have sand toys and the shallows are kid friendly. The food is very nice at the resort and if you stay a few days you might try some of the local fare. We stayed on a multi night midweek deal that saves a few bucks but I would not hesitate to pay full price on a weekend if that is what I had available. The rooms are really nice one and two bedroom condo style accommodations with a full but compact kitchen. Mattress was fine for me but my wife likes it very firm. It was a pillow top type I think. Indoor and outdoor pools are provided. I've heard that fall and winter special weekends are well planned and executed.

Room Tip: If a view is important to you be careful of rooms on the far wings and chip in a few dollars for the...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cruzmann
Reviewed 30 January 2014 via mobile

Why would you go to Wisconsin in the dead of winter? Especially if you don't ski! To go to the Osthoff Resort, of course. This was a three day vacation with my sister and mother. We can't say enough good things. We arrived on a day when the power had just been knocked out by a careless driver. But we still got right into our room without any trouble.

We had several nice meals at Ottos (breakfast, lunch and dinner), and one very nice dinner at Lola's. We spent a full afternoon at Aspira spa getting pampered.

Everywhere the staff was helpful and attentive. We hope to make this an annual event.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Amy K
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Beautiful resort. Suites are fantastic! Restaurant food very good and service everywhere was excellent. Very relaxing in an excellent setting. First time visiting and it was the winter. Would definitely look to go back in the summer with all the lake activities available.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Los Alamos, New Mexico, United States
Reviewed 15 January 2014

We stayed at The Osthoff during January. The lake is frozen over right now, but the Resort is so fabulous there was plenty to do inside the Hotel. The staff was courteous and friendly. I was suffering from a slight cold, and called the front desk late at night for some tea bags. They brought a variety to me very promptly, making my cold feel much better! I would recommend this hotel to anyone! Couples, family, wedding party. What an amazing property!`

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Annie R
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Our 2-bedroom 2-bath suite at The Ostholf accommodated my family of 4 with room to spare. The room and staff were great. Sat out on my deck and watched kids ice skate on the pond....very cool. Inside pool area and hottub was ok. Will be going back!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Chicago's North Shore, Illinois
Reviewed 2 January 2014

We just tried the Ostholf Resort after numerous post-Christmas weekends at the nearby American Club. We always enjoyed the atmosphere, service, restaurants and especially the spa treatments at the American Club. The Ostholf delivered a comparable experience to my family.
Our 2-bedroom 2-bath suite at The Ostholf better accommodated my family of 5 and it was a better value. But the overall atmosphere is slightly less expressive the the American Club.
Spa services and restaurants were just as good as the Kohler comps. The nearby village is a plus, too.
I recommend families try this well run resort.

Room Tip: Go with the suites
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
#2 of 5 in Plymouth
Harbor Winds
Harbor Winds
#6 of 11 in Sheboygan
Holiday Inn Express Sheboygan - Kohler (I-43)

Been to The Osthoff Resort? Share your experiences!