“Loved It!!!”

Ranked #1 of 21 Restaurants in Elkhart Lake
Price range: US$1 - US$10
Cuisines: American, British
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Off The Rail is a cozy breakfast/lunch restaurant located in the heart of Elkhart Lake. We offer fresh, made-to-order, hand-crafted sandwiches and soups as well as coffee, beer and wine. Family run and a fun vibrant atmosphere will have you feeling right at home in this historical building. Custom Free Wi-Fi available.
Leesburg, Florida
“Loved It!!!”
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Great little cafe that you can bet I be going to again! Awesome sandwiches and top notch service! Can't wait to go back!!!

• Visited September 2013

Laguna Beach, California
“On the Rail”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

My husband and I were in Elkhart Lake for the CanAM series of Motor Racing in July 2013. We loved the experience at this little historic cafe. Mostly Breakfast for us, the staff was well versed in getting your order straight and in good time. Considering the crowds of people that showed up there for race week ,Off the Rail, continued to supply us with great variety of coffee and fabulous breakfast items. Grant it, you order Starbucks style and then watch the kitchen as the staff spins in all directions to facilitate delicious delicasies. The one great thing while you wait for breakfast items is that you are given a cup to get your own coffee and refills are allowed. All in all, definately a fast and enjoyable place to begin a day at the races.

• Visited July 2013
Chicago, Illinois
“Very well done”
Reviewed 2 September 2013 via mobile

Great sandwiches and great baked goods for take away. We had a nice lunch and an even better breakfast the next morning thanks to the bacon egg and cheese muffins. Very nice!

Cincinnati, Ohio
“I dreamed about Breakfast. For Real.”
Reviewed 24 August 2013

This charming former train station in this charming vacation spot has a chalkboard full of delicious breakfast and lunch items. I can only vouch for the first item on the breakfast menu, "The Commuter" which is an egg, bacon & cheddar on sourdough. That I literally dreamed about it was so good. AND that I delayed my departure the next day so I can savor one more before I left town.

This seems to be a popular spot for locals, which is always a good sign. There is also outdoor seating, but beware the bees!

One Tip: $10 credit card minimum wasn't enforced the first day I was there, and the second day when I added a cookie, the total was $9.96 and they said, "sorry, $10 minimum." They let me round up the .04, but I shaved a buck off my tip because that was, well, annoying. (Note to Off the Rail and many other small businesses with credit card minimums: these used to be more relevant when card processors charged a flat rate plus a percentage--there are SO many options now that don't have a per transaction charge, and I think you'd be surprised how much good will you lose when so many people just don't carry cash any more. And when a customer has a total of $9.96 and you enforce a $10 minimum? I'd rethink that!

“A Real Find ....”
Reviewed 17 August 2013

While on vacation at Elkhart Lake we came across this fabulous breakfast/coffee/lunch cafe. The food was fabulous, extremely fresh and delicious. The coffee was by far the best we had drunk in a long time - far better than the larger chain coffee shops and, the service was excellent. The place was spotless too. We loved the fact that the owner was extremely involved and not adverse to getting his hands dirty. Having moved to the US from England 6 years ago, my children were excited to find that they served several of their homeland favorites such as Ribena, Prawn Cocktail Crisps, etc. We will definitely be visiting this cafe again.