“Terrible food and service at the Tiki Bar”

Victorian Village Resort
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Elkhart Lake
Wisconsin
“Terrible food and service at the Tiki Bar”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2009

My wife and I were looking to purchase a condo in Elkhart Lake. We stopped to eat at the Tiki Bar. The service was terrible and the food was even worse. This was on August 5, 2009. My wife ordered the BST, which is suppose to be bacon, spinach and tomato. When the sandwhich came there was no spinach and no tomato, just bread and bacon and the bacon was almost uneatable. I had a salad which ended up being nothering more than cucumbers and some tomatoes and the dressing was awful. We had also ordered an some dip and chips. The dips had no taste and the chips were so stale we couldn't eat them. I don't blame the girl that was the server, she tried to do her best, the bartender was a complete idiot, completely unfriendly to the point of being rude. After waiting 45 minutes for our sodas, I finally went up to the bar to get them. He poured one of our sodas and handed to another person and poured the other one completely the opposite of what I had asked for. If I owned this place he would be fired on the spot. We may still purchase in Elkhart Lake but we will never again eat at the Tiki Bar and I would advise anyone else looking for a place to eat to avoid it.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank wislawyer

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2009

This past weekend, my husband and I stayed 2 nights at Victorian Village Resort. We were excited when we arrived and saw the grounds, the lake, and the beautiful buildings . . . at least they were beautiful on the outside. Inside was another story. Fortunately, we had a fantastic view from our room overlooking the lake, which helped us enjoy our experience more. Other than the view, our room was not much more than you would expect to get at a Motel 6. Our room was clean, but very basic with no frills or amenities. Unfortunately, some minor maintenance work had not been done in our room. For instance, the room has a free standing heater/air conditioner like Motel 6 does. However, ours was missing the knob to adjust the temperature. My husband had a pair of pliers, so he adjusted it the best he could using the pliers. We ended up making final temperature adjustments by turning the unit off when we woke up feeling too hot and then turning it back on again when we woke up feeling cold. At this price, I think that's ridiculous! Also, the vinyl miniblinds in the room were missing the stick to rotate the blinds between the open and closed positions, so we had to raise and lower the blinds to regulate whether we had the view or privacy. Fortunately, there weren't many people staying at the resort, so we could enjoy the view without feeling too exposed. Based on the printed list of TV channels in the room, it seemed like the resort probably reduced their cable TV package - many of the channels on the list were not available on the TV. That may be a casualty of the bad economy.

The first night, we ate at the Back Porch restaurant at the resort. The decor in the restuarant is nice and homey. Our waitress was nice and very friendly. Unfortunately, it seems like she was new and probably not well oriented regarding the restaurant's menu and procedures. She didn't have any answers to our questions about the menu. As she had to go ask someone whenever we had a question, we ended up taking our chances instead of continuing to bother the other staff. We started off on a hopeful note. My husband enjoyed his split pea soup. We also ordered an appetizer of soft pretzels with some type of cheese "fondue". The cheese sauce had a different flavor to it and was very thin and runny. Not what we expected for a "fondue". It was ok, though. Our dinner went downhill from there. Being a vegetarian, my choices were limited, which is ok with me. I usually find something I can eat. I ordered the creamed corn gnocchi, served with a sauce containing mushrooms and zucchini. It looked yummy, but tasted like a doughy version of the flour and water glue we made in grade school. It was so bad that I couldn't eat it, which doesn't happen often. When the waitress came back to see how we were doing, I told her I couldn't eat my dinner and why. She made no offer to get me something else, just asked if I wanted her to take my plate then left with me eating nothing but the bread and 2 small pretzels I had prior to our main course. My husband had the pulled pork sandwich, which he described as "mild", stating that it didn't have much flavor. We passed on dessert, since nothing else tasted that good. Breakfast the next morning was an unexciting, basic continental breakfast. We skipped it the second morning.

This resort has a great location on the lake with a nice little private beach. It also has a nice indoor pool and an outdoor pool. It was too early in the season for the Tiki beach bar and the ice cream shop to be open yet. However, it looks like it would be a fun, relaxing, beautiful place to spend a few days in the summer. As I mentioned earlier, the grounds are really beautiful. I imagine they are even better in a month or so, when the gardens have fully woken up from winter. The location of this resort is great, not only for access to the lake, but it's also convenient for walking around the charming area of Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin.

One other thing that was odd regarding the service at this resort -- We had a 50% off coupon from the Entertainment book. When making our reservation, I mentioned the coupon and asked for a lakeside room. I was told that I had to take a lesser room if I wanted to use the coupon. Since this was a birthday getaway for my husband, I chose the lakeside room instead of the discount. Later, I looked at the coupon and noticed that it had no such restriction, so we took the coupon with us. When checking in, we again mentioned the coupon and were told that the coupon was only for off-season. However, the coupon specifically stated that it was good from April 22, 2009 through some date in 2010. The woman working the front-desk said that she would look into it for us and to check back the next day. When we came back the next day, another woman was working the desk. She had been informed about our coupon and was told that we could have a 20% discount, because the coupon stated the discount was up to 50%. We have no idea how they determined the 20% figure.

All in all, we enjoyed walking around the grounds. It was beautiful and peaceful. We had a great time during our weekend getaway, but not due to the food or amenities offered by this resort.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TerryandBrian

Travellers are raving about these Elkhart Lake hotels

Jersey City, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2008

Just got back from a weekend at the Victorian Village, and it was a thoroughly mediocre experience.

Our building wasn't on the lake and didn't have a lake view. Upon entering the building, the door to the indoor pool was wide open, so the hallway was like a gross, carpeted, damp sauna. Our room, by contrast, was cold as a meat locker when we first entered. Not very welcoming.

The room was just odd--shag carpeting, a Victorian-style bed and dresser, an old rattan chair, and a strange 80s-era sectional sofa. The TV in the room was over 20 years old (date was on the back) and our remote control was all buttons with no descriptions (the face had fallen off.) This was the first hotel in which I've stayed in perhaps a decade that didn't have a hair dryer. The vertical blinds over the patio door were missing a slat, so we could not get our room completely dark at night.

The bed was comfortable, but the frame creaked so much and so loudly that any time my wife and I rolled over at night, we woke the other one up. Also, the bed was shoved against the wall containing both the heater and the patio door, so hot air was blowing directly on one of us all night long. Also, if that person tried to get up, they ended up running into the vertical blinds and making a great deal of noise, no matter how quiet they tried to be.

About 30 minutes after getting to our room, our door opened and another couple of lodgers walked in. They'd been given the same room as us. We ran into them later that night, and they still had one of room keys--the front desk staff hadn't collected their keys when giving them a different. I found that terribly unprofessional and a bit insecure.

We visited the Osthoff during our trip and felt we would have enjoyed our stay a great deal more at the Osthoff. The Victorian Village is an adequate lake hotel while the Osthoff was cleaner, more luxurious and more park-like--it felt like a high-quality resort.

• Liked — Location is nice; close to Elkhart Lake restaurants and shops
  • Disliked — Poor value; room and service were mediocre
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank augieray
Southeastern Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2008

From the moment we arrived, we were charmed! Beautiful, well kept grounds, delightful accommodations, friendly staff! This place is a gem! We parked the car and walked around the town. We had a wonderful dinner then settled in one of the comfortable couches in the Back Street Bistro for a drink and a yummy dessert! It was like being waited on in your living room! We have traveled many places but we both said we didn't want to leave the Victorian Village! If you are looking for a place to relax (although I can't say what it is like in the heavier seasons) I can definitely recommend this Resort!

• Liked — The feel of being in an older, comfortable, charming hotel.
  • Disliked — I would have liked the option of a cooked breakfast.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2008

We just returned from a girls weekend at the Victorian Village. The condo and grounds were wonderful. There were 7 of us and we stayed in the 3 bedroom condo. Unfortunately we couldn't use any of the outdoor amenities because it rained non stop but the indoor pool was nice and warm. Our deck was huge and we spent alot of time there. We liked the fact that we could walk into town to eat, drink, and go to the farmer's market. I would recommend this hotel to anyone. Can't wait to go back when it's not raining! The only bad thing would be that the front desk people were not very helpful and didn't seem to know much. Other than that it was wonderful.

• Liked — The grounds
  • Disliked — The front desk staff
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with friends
Chicago, IL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2008

We visited Victorian Village in August as part of our 30th anniversary road trip around Lake Michigan. Upon arrival the grounds were beautiful as seen in all the photos. We arrived about 3 hours before check-in thus requesting an early check-in if possible. The front desk seemed less than enthusiastic to accomodate the request but did say they would contact us on our cell phone if possible. We thought spending some time at their resort Tikki Bar might help pass some time. It was a beautiful Hot afternoon, a cold beer sounded good. We asked the bartender about beer selections, he responded rudely by referring to the hand written chalk board as the only reference. The board was on the other side of the bar, my eyes aren't what they used to be, I ordered just an ordinary selection knowing I wouldn't get any suggestions. It appeared his career choice did not suit his personality. The room was very nice however we did not get in until after check-in time, approx. 4:30, upon entering the room discovered the room had not been cleaned yet. We then retrieved our luggage and spent some time in the in door pool waiting for our room to get cleaned.
We made dinner reservations that evening for the Back Porch Bistro. Upon arrival, we waited several minutes for a hostess to appear, when she did she hurried us to the outside, not asking what seating preference we had, It was not busy at all. She ran way ahead of us and threw our menus on the smallest table. We found the table, she was gone, with no communication at all. We picked up our menus and found a more suitable table ourselves. When the waitress arrived we informed her of the cold hostess, she stated the hostess was the owners grand daughter. Another words, complaining will not do any good.
I think if this resort wants to survive in the future, they need to give this new generation of family a lesson in hospitality and Business. Maybe add a Human Resource Dept.

• Liked — The grounds
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank MillieChicago_IL
Mukwonago, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2008

We stay at the Victorian Villiage every year and it is great.
Last year we had a condo room, and this year we got 2 adjoining hotel rooms. Both were excellent - very clean and well kept.
A nice breakfast is included with your stay - eggs, sausage, potatoes, etc. The food is very good at the Tiki Bar and in the restaurant. We take advantage of the swimming pools and the beach. My only complaint this year - was that indoor pool was ICE COLD. The outdoor pool - and the beach were very nice and we used them daily.
I would recommend this resort for families or couples - lots of fun to be had.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
#5 of 11 in Sheboygan
Harbor Winds
Harbor Winds
#6 of 11 in Sheboygan
Holiday Inn Express Sheboygan - Kohler (I-43)

Been to Victorian Village Resort? Share your experiences!