“Awesome”

The Viking Grill & Lounge
Ranked #7 of 12 Restaurants in Ellison Bay
Price range: US$11 - US$34
Description: The Viking Grill in Ellision Bay features affordable family favorites and our world-famous Viking Fish Boil! Enjoy breakfast, lunch or dinner. Our buttermilk pancakes are light and fluffy, but our biggest secret is our outstanding Swedish pancakes (served all day). Try them- you won't be sorry! Another early morning favorite is our award winning homemade Corned Beef Hash. A great way to start a busy day on the Door peninsula. And whether you are looking for hearty or light The Viking Grill has something for you. Wrapped sandwiches, homesytle soups, a selection of 7 salads, and mouthwatering appetizers - perfect with a cold beer or cocktail from the bar. Dinner at The Viking means broasted chicken, Lake Perch, generously cut steaks and more. Come experience the Viking - we'll leave the grill on!
Reviewed 26 September 2013

This was the best meal we had at Door County. The burger was great and the homemade potato chips were AWESOME they reminded me of when my father made them for me as a treat when I was little. Best cheese curds also. Waitress was great and gave us the best tip of where to get ice cream.

Reviewed 24 September 2013

Over the years, I have been to the Viking for their fish boil many times. My most recent visit was much like all of the others. Unique, interesting way of cooking the main dish (fish), decent food, lots of room for improvement with everything else.

The Good:
The "fish boil" itself is a lot of fun to see. In fact, it is the only reason why many people go to the Viking. Make sure you time your visit so you can see the fish boil itself.

The price is pretty reasonable, especially for adults.

Average:
The food. The fish is good, but the add ons are just ok. The cherry pie dessert is ok, but not great (and this is door county- lots of cherries). The bread is just cheep super market variety stuff and the potatoes are nothing special. No real choices either.

The Service: Very hit and miss here. Sometimes the staff can be quite nice, other times, no one pay any attention after you pay for the fish boil.

If it were me, I would keep the fish boil the same, but retrofit a lot of stuff around it. Like how the food is served, and add some healthier and better choices to the side items.

All in all worth a trip once, just to see the fish boil. Otherwise, we will probably try a new place next time we visit Door County.

Reviewed 19 September 2013

This has the ambiance of a small town restaurant that has been in place for decades, which it has. Very casual, plain restaurant. We went for the fish boil, which was probably better than the rating I would submit. Probably worth it for the spectacle and the tradition but this will be my third and last. The fish was OK but the effort to pick out the bones is just not worth it. Next time I order from the menu.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

I have visited Door County a couple times previously, and heard of fish boil but did not have opportunity to experince. On this trip I decided to give it a try, and was well worth it. I have seen a couple prior comments about price, I believe it was somewhere between $16-18. To me this is reasonable compared to what you pay for a typical entree in a restaurant. The bonus here is it comes with a show. Part of the experience is watching the drop the fish in the boil, and at very end do the "flame up", where they douse the flames with oil and the whole boil flares up. Pretty cool to watch. They then take the fish inside and serve it up cafeteria style, on a try with potatoes, onions, cole slaw, and slice of cherry pie. The fish was very tasty. The had both indoor and outdoor seating. We choose the picnic benches outside, as it allowed our kids to run around. They had nice little playset on site to keep kids occupied before and after dinner.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

granted we were hungry after having had dehydrated backpacking food for three days while camping on Rock Island. We stopped here for a late lunch upon leaving the ferry. We had the whitefish chowder -- very good and rich -- and the whitefish lunch; the whitefish was broiled, good and fresh, with a simple lemon to squeeze on. The accompaniment was ...oddly ...cottage cheese and canned peaches, which was kind of a diner touch. We ordered a side of fries, which were quite good. Overall, we were happy enough with the meal though I did think the wait staff was a bit brusque although without our asking she refilled our diet Cokes ...with iced tea, but, still.