“A best- kept secret and a pleasant surprise!”

The Harbor Light Inn
Ranked #1 of 5 Ellison Bay B&B and Inns
“A best- kept secret and a pleasant surprise!”
Reviewed 2 September 2014

My wife and I have been celebrating our anniversary in Gills Rock for 14 years, always staying at Dockside condos. We love the beauty of Door County, but not the maddening crowds. The property changed hands and we could no longer rent our usual room, so we checked across the road at the Harbor Lights (used to be Harbor House). What a wonderful surprise! Larger room with more ambiance and more amenities than we had been staying in all these years, for a lower price! And Becky is such a treat, too. Outstanding Service Ethic, pleasant, friendly demeanor and full of information. We will definitely be back.
Duane Q., Green Bay, Wi

• Stayed August 2014
5 Thank Cadeuces
Becky K, Manager at The Harbor Light Inn, responded to this review, 17 October 2014
Thank you Duane for such a kind review! It was great to have you and your wife at the Inn - hope you'll be back!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Reviewed 29 August 2014

We've been in the hotel business as owner-operators since 1995. Holiday Inn, Comfort Inn, Clarion and Ramada. We've also renovated some apartments into Corporate-style short-term lodging. So I think we've seen and done enough to make an honest assessment of Harbor Light Inn. What a nice surprise it turned out to be. We live in the country now and wanted something off the beaten path - you know, a bit different - not overrun with tourists. What we found was certainly above expectation. A friend who tracked us down by electronics somehow convinced the manager to trek the better part of ten miles to acquire an anniversary beverage as a surprise when we returned from dinner. What lodging operator does that? Very clean, Quiet. Private-feeling. Obviously very recently remodeled. We were backed against the woods and could see the harbor. The way they managed to bring privacy into the various separate accommodations was unique - special. Don't be fooled by the seeming too-reasonable price, or put-off by the extra few miles up to the Gills Rock harbor. We found a real gem in an ocean of 'typical fare' and multiple bodies. Hope to find good enough reason to get back there soon enough. Thanks for the sweet room Becky!

Room Tip: Hey: Ya want something different - off the beaten path yet close enough to the rest of the 'Door...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank DENNIS M
Thank you so much for such a thoughtful, generous review. It was wonderful to have you both and I'm so glad you had a special anniversary!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We decided at the last minute to travel up to Washington Island before we left for home near Chicago. We booked a room, sight unseen, and I can't tell you how happy we were with it. I wish we could have stayed longer. The room was large and homey, the bed, very comfortable and the bathroom a really nice, modern surprise. I hope that we are able to return, with some family and/or friends for a longer visit next time and get a chance to use the Common Room.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank janvb1975
Thanks so much for taking the time to review Harbor Light - I'm so happy you had a nice stay, and hope to see you again!
Chicago
Reviewed 19 August 2014

I & my husband stayed at the Lighthouse suite over the weekend. I kind of not want to spread "the best kept secret" but will share it anyway. Hard to believe that the rate is so reasonable during the high season. The suite is very spacious, has a huge whirlpool tub. In the living room, there is a gas fireplace which I didn't think I needed to use, but I used it every morning as it is already fall in the Door. We also had a good size balcony looking over the dock. There is another smaller one by the bedroom - you can enjoy fresh air in the woods at night. The room comes with a micro-wave, a mini-coffee maker and fridge. We really didn't need to eat out a lot because we shopped at the local supermarket and bought some delis and other items. Gills Rock is a quaint charming little town away from all.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank K T
Becky K, Manager at The Harbor Light Inn, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
What a kind review! Thank you so much for sharing our little secret :) I'm so happy you and your husband had such a lovely visit!
Blaine, Minnesota
Reviewed 24 July 2014

My wife and I stayed here a couple weeks ago to celebrate our ten-year anniversary and we had an excellent experience. The location was convenient, as being on the tip of Door County, it provided convenient access to the ferry station for a day trip to Washington Island. There are also a couple of county parks close by which have great sunset views. It was also nice and quiet. We stayed in the Lighthouse Suite and really enjoyed the generous space and personal touch the owner used in decorating. Overall, a very enjoyable and positive experience!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Thanks for the review - I'm so happy you enjoyed your time here!
Mount Shasta, Ca.
Reviewed 22 July 2014

My six sisters, and I, met in Ellison Bay Wisconsin to surprise our bother on his 70th Birthday. We all stayed here, renting the entire place, with the exception of the Lighthouse Suite and a cottage out back. We LOVED it. Each of us had our own room, with a balcony. We would lean out the balconies to talk to one another, or we would gather on one of the lower ones. It was a blast. Nothing like sitting in my upper room at night, reading a good book and listening to my sisters laughing below. Management left us to our own devices for the weekend. The place was clean and light. It has 2 acres and views of Ellison Bay. Loved it!!! Please note that while this hotel is by the 'City Center' , there IS no city.

Room Tip: Any upstairs corner room, or downstairs corner room is great. All rooms are nice, but a few have mor...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thanks so much for your kind review! It was so much fun having you and your sisters here!
Lancaster, Wisconsin
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My niece and I stayed here last weekend and it was a wonderful place. Beautiful view and excellent location. New carpet,, new paint, bed was a tad hard but overall excellent place. My niece loved the 2 person shower stall.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thanks so much for the review! Glad you and your niece had a pleasant stay with us, and hope you'll come back and visit again!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ellison Bay
#3 of 8 in Ephraim
Open Hearth Lodge
Open Hearth Lodge
#2 of 17 in Sister Bay

Been to The Harbor Light Inn? Share your experiences!