“Best place to eat in the area!”
Review of Shady Grove

Shady Grove
Ranked #2 of 19 Restaurants in Ellsworth
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
River Falls, Wisconsin
“Best place to eat in the area!”
Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

No more do you need to eat burgers and wings at one of the many bars in the River Falls or Ellsworth area. This place offers a changing menu (with several staples you'll always find) with seasonal options. I've always been skeptable--it's a house turned into a resturaunt, like many in western wisconsin (more house-turned-bar, which is what I thought Shady Grove was for years), only it's not just a bar (they have one, of course), it's a supper-cluby type of place with the standard supper club favs like prime rib, but what WE like is the first page of the menu--the one that changes month to month. The duck breast is unreal good. Our first time here I read the first thing on the menu: morels, ramps in a garlic butter. Morels??!! I knew we had found something special. And it's not too expensive either...my husband and I ate well with a shared app, entrees and dessert for about $50. Try it!

Visited May 2013
1 Thank Katie P

Wisconsin
“Always the best!”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We never go wrong with anything we've had at the Shady Grove! It's the one place my husband tries combinations & flavors I know he'd pass up at home!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank MaggieTrot
WOODBURY
“Off the road....”
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Small, hidden "roadhouse". Obviously, a favorite of the locals. As first timers, we were greeted and the menu was explained. However, after our order was taken....well, somehow we were forgotten. One of the specials was the pork tenderloin which was delicious as were the freshly harvested snap peas. Don't order steak "medium well" as it was cooked within an inch of being destroyed. The waitress was no where to be seen so no opportunity to ask for another. The manager apologized however, no offer for comp dessert or hope you will give us another chance, etc.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank WeezieCEO
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“You have to try it. Worth a trip from the twin cities.”
Reviewed 29 July 2013 via mobile

You would not expect this on a small town like Ellsworth, WI. You should expect to be treated to a wonderful food experience. The space inside is a bit tight.

The lobster fritters are marvelous, could have eaten twice the amount. The duck is a favorite of those that frequent Shady Grive. I enjoyed it but I prefer a breast with a crispy skin. Just personal preference. Very flavorful indeed. Don't expect large portions however. :-). My wife ordered the sweet peas and you only get ten pods. The sweet potato mash is perfectly balanced. The grasshopper drink is more of a dessert --- very yummy. If you are looking for good food, great service, locally produced, in an off the beaten path place--look no further. I recommend a reservation since they fill up fast.

• Visited July 2013
Ellsworth, Wisconsin
“Wonderful”
Reviewed 24 July 2013

We go to shady grove as often as we can. We love Heather, and the rest of the staff. Have always have great food and always been treated as valuable guests. If you like lemon, have the lemon curd. It's always fun to share with your companion.

• Visited May 2013